Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Over the years, my driver side door handle has started to rest more and more inboard of the door. It still works fine and does not make any odd noises while in use. However, I don't like it and I don't want to ignore it only for it to blow up on me some day when I least expect it.

Here is a photo of the issue. Note that my finger is only there to help show how far inboard the handle now rests. I am not pushing the handle in at all - this is the handle's normal resting position now. The passenger side handle gets much, much less use, and seems fine.

Does anyone have any insight as to what is causing this?

·
Registered
19,363 Posts
Does anyone have any insight as to what is causing this?
I suspect a rubber bumper inside is missing.

Here's a photo of the back of the handle I pulled from a scrap unit that is also inboard. The arrow points to a hole where a small bumper should be located. The chrome piece to the right is part of the interior handle that rotates on a shaft under the spring. When the handle is released the chrome handle snaps back to the normal position, and behind it should come against the bumper. If the bumper is damaged or lost somehow, the handle goes back further.

Machine Steel Still life photography Nickel Household hardware

And, here's a photo of a handle from an earlier generation, which has a slightly different configuration, but where the bumper is intact:

Cable Wire Electrical wiring Machine Electrical supply

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just got done reading a ton of threads about rear hatch wiring issues, so imagine my delight when I saw that the one and only OM replied to my door handle thread. Thanks so much for the quick and detailed reply. Sounds like it's time to pull the door card off and look for that bumper somewhere in the door. (y)

·
Registered
19,363 Posts
time to pull the door card off and look for that bumper somewhere in the door.
The back of the handle, where the cables go in, has a flip up cover. When it's closed, it looks as if anything the size of the bumper probably can't fall out of the handle. When the door card is off, carefully open the cover as the pad might still be inside.

In this photo, at lower right, is the remaining piece of the bumper that was still in the mounting hole (compare to second photo above).

Machine Shadow Cable

Let us know what you find and, your fix . . .

1 - 5 of 5 Posts