Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am searching the forum archives to find a solution but the terms I am using is not getting good hits.

Today I rolled the driver side window all the way down and then I heard a very faint clicking sound coming from behind the door panel, it sounds like something as opening and closing.

When I move the window up a bit the sound goes away, when I lower it all the way back down the sound intermittently comes back and at the same time the window will not go up. After a few attempts toggling the window switch the window will eventually work and go back up.

So anyone have any advice as to what is happening?

·
Registered
4,076 Posts
The window is raised and lowered by an electric motor that moves a scissor like framework using a geared track (#4 in the attached diagram). It sounds like the problem may be: 1. The gear slipping or breaking (bad teeth), 2. Separation of some of the framework components, 3. Components are binding and releasing due to lack of grease, 4. The motor is failing, or 5. The switch is failing.

The intermittent nature of the problem can make it hard to diagnose. Have you had any experience disassembling door panels? There are lots of little clips and such that can get screwed up if not handled correctly. Are you experienced in using a multimeter? If yes to these, then I would remove the door panel with great care and a shop manual (can find these pages on line) and observe the window with the panel off. If there is no obvious binding or broken bits, I would use the multimeter to check the continuity of the switch and the motor. In fact, it'd be a lot easier to check the switch before taking the door apart. So start there.

View attachment Door_Glass.png

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info.

I am familiar with taking the panel apart and checking the electronics out, I was hoping to get a better idea of where to look before doing so.

The window switch and the assembly in the door works fine doing up and down, the only time it does hiccup is when the glass is retracted all the way down. However, the problem does not happen every time I retract the glass all the way down which is puzzling.

·
Registered
129 Posts
it has something to do with the one touch down feature. Do it slowly without activating it and you should not have a problem. either that or stop the one touch feature before it get to full bottom and do the rest with the switch.

those door switches are not cheap either

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
About this Discussion
5 Replies
3 Participants
NWSub
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing