Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2001 Subaru Outback Legacy Wagon
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings all,
My 01 Outback drivers door window began intermittiently failing to go up or down about a month ago. I was able to get it to work by tapping the window and or playing with the switch. Now it doesn't move. Thank God it is up as it is well below freezing here in Northern VA. The switches are $99 lifetime at Autozone, The motor is $115 lifetime as well. I thought I would take the door apart and jump the wires to see if the window works. That will tell me if it is the switch or the door motor. The other 3 work perfectly. I don't know how the switch assembly comes out or how to get the door panel off. My service manual (Haynes) is no help in that area. I have never taken one of these doors apart. Can someone give me some guidance? My state inspection expires 01 Mar 13. I have to fix this before I take it or it won't pass. I am a good mechanic. I do all of my own work, but have limited Subaru experience and this little car is nice so I don't want to mess it up. I drive it 122 miles a day to my job in Dulles, VA and back and have put 32K on it in 10 months.
Thanks

·
Registered
01 Outback H6 VDC, 97 GT wgn w/ ej22, 98 OBW w/ej22
1,401 Posts
typically it is the switch, not the motor. as a matter of fact the motors fail so rarely i do not remember ever reading about replacing one in the last 7 years.

·
Premium Member
2001 VDC/SC One of a Kind
14,456 Posts
The door switch assembly is just held in with a spring clip.

Using a flat head screwdriver, you can pry the plastic up at the lower end to release the spring then pull down to get the guide tab slid out the panel at the top.

The switch screws in to the plastic trim from the bottom.

The complete switch assembly is replaced as one piece. Don't get the Auto Zone switch. Get it from Subaru.

·
Registered
2001 Subaru Outback Legacy Wagon
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
01 Outback windows fixed

$90 out the door from Autozone (Duralast and lifetime warranty with 10% USAF Ret. discount) for a new set of switches and Bob's your uncle. I re read my Haynes manual and found the procedure. All you do to remove the switches is pry the switch assembly out of the door panel with a common screwdriver. Remove the 2 cannon plugs to seprate the switch housing from the vehicle. Then you remove 4 phillips screws and seprarate the switches from the housing and reverse the steps to reinstall,10 minutes job done :D Subaru doesn't offer lifetime warranty on electrical parts or anything else that I know of, Autozone does, that is why I went with them instead of Subaru. I also found this place http://www.switchdoctor.net/subaru-...ack-master-power-window-switch-2000-2004.html after I had already done the job. They also offer lifetime warranty and free shipping for almost 1/2 what I paid, live and learn. That being said my local Autozone is 5 minutes away and they keep them in stock.

·
Premium Member
2000 Legacy Outback Classic 4 Cylinder
200 Posts
I encountered this problem last week. We replaced the switch and now all is good. Apparently the switch shorted out and burnt the circuit board. Below is a pic of the board damage.

Below is the part number info on the switch we used.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts