Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
18 Outback 3.6r Touring
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On a 2018 Starlink system I went out this morning to refresh the radio after updating our Sirius subscription. I hopped in the passenger side so I didn’t have deal with seat adjustments, etc... Pushed the start button once for accy mode and performed the update. When I was done I pressed the start button twice to turn off the car. The radio continued to play. I opened the door, exited closed and locked the car from the passenger side. I could still hear the radio! I looked in and it was STILL on. I figured it would time out. About an hour later I went out still heard music and unlocked the car and opened the passenger door. Sure enough the radio was still on and playing. I walked around the car and opened the drivers door. The radio immediately turned off. Over the last 3 hours I played around with it and discovered the drivers door MUST be opened after turning off the the car or the radio will remain on indefinitely. I wonder what other systems do not turn off when working on the car and not exiting from the drivers side? After 4 hours of this I had to jump start the car to get it to actually start. I could definitely see how people are experincing dead batteries in brand new cars. I could see this as an issue while cleaning or vacuuming the interior and listening to tunes.

·
Registered
2013 O.B. and 2018 O.B.
100 Posts
On a 2018 Starlink system I went out this morning to refresh the radio after updating our Sirius subscription. I hopped in the passenger side so I didn’t have deal with seat adjustments, etc... Pushed the start button once for accy mode and performed the update. When I was done I pressed the start button twice to turn off the car. The radio continued to play. I opened the door, exited closed and locked the car from the passenger side. I could still hear the radio! I looked in and it was STILL on. I figured it would time out. About an hour later I went out still heard music and unlocked the car and opened the passenger door. Sure enough the radio was still on and playing. I walked around the car and opened the drivers door. The radio immediately turned off. Over the last 3 hours I played around with it and discovered the drivers door MUST be opened after turning off the the car or the radio will remain on indefinitely. I wonder what other systems do not turn off when working on the car and not exiting from the drivers side? After 4 hours of this I had to jump start the car to get it to actually start. I could definitely see how people are experincing dead batteries in brand new cars. I could see this as an issue while cleaning or vacuuming the interior and listening to tunes.
Wow, does sound like batteries are insufficient. I wouldn't think radio playing for 3 hrs. would cause battery to go dead.

·
Registered
18 Outback 3.6r Touring
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wow, does sound like batteries are insufficient. I wouldn't think radio playing for 3 hrs. would cause battery to go dead.
Drive in movies are making a return. Unfortunately modern cars aren’t a god fit. I know our forester would not make it thru the night without starting the car every so often. Then the auto head lamps come on to blind other patrons. It was a horrible experience I would never do again. Various tow companies hang out on the weekend to provide jumps for a $$

·
Registered
Tungsten 2018 Outback 3.6R Limited w/ES
179 Posts
I could see this as an issue while cleaning or vacuuming the interior and listening to tunes.

Good luck with that! Try opening the driver's door while the ignition is on Acc so that you can listen to the radio while cleaning the interior. The ding ding ding ding ding will drive you nuts!

Car manufacturers are more and more believing their customers are complete idiots; either that or their programmers are. Yes, an open door can be dangerous while the car is in motion, and an alert ding is appropriate - but please do I really need to hear an incessant ding just because the driver's door is open with the car in Park and the ignition in Acc????

·
Registered
2016 Outback 3.6R LBP "Dingo"
642 Posts
I've not experienced that with my 16 OB, but perhaps you managed to do things in a way the programmers did not think a user would do things. That could explain the odd behavior you're reporting. Have you tried talking to the dealer about it? Could also be a glitch. The more cars become computerized, the greater the likelihood something will go haywire.

·
Registered
18 Outback 3.6r Touring
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've not experienced that with my 16 OB, but perhaps you managed to do things in a way the programmers did not think a user would do things. That could explain the odd behavior you're reporting. Have you tried talking to the dealer about it? Could also be a glitch. The more cars become computerized, the greater the likelihood something will go haywire.
The ‘16 has a completely different radio. Since the ‘18 radios can not be turned off this is most likely working as designed.

·
Registered
179 Posts
The ‘16 has a completely different radio. Since the ‘18 radios can not be turned off this is most likely working as designed.
What happens if you press the power-off button ( the volume knob) after turning off the ignition switch? Mine goes quiet and the screen is black.

·
Registered
18 Outback 3.6r Touring
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What happens if you press the power-off button ( the volume knob) after turning off the ignition switch? Mine goes quiet and the screen is black.
Pressing the volume knob mutes the volume. Pressing and holding mutes and turns off the display but not the radio. If you turn the knob the screen lights up and the volume is restored to its last set level. It’s been discussed many times here.

·
Premium Member
2018 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited with EyeSight, Navigation, High Beam Assist, Reverse Auto Braking, LED Headlights, Steering Responsive Headlights, and Starlink previous 2015 Outback 2.5i Limited
44 Posts
The infotament system will turn off in a few minutes. I am not sure how long it takes but it does turn off if you don't open the driver's door. I stayed in the car after I had shut it off browsing my phone and after a couple minutes the infotament system shut off, too

·
Registered
18 Outback 3.6r Touring
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Maybe it had something to do with never entering and exiting from the driverside. The entire morning the drivers door was never opened. When I finally did open the drivers door the radio would turn off.

·
Registered
'18 Outback 3.6R Limited. '11 Forester 2.5X Prem.
45 Posts
If you want to turn it off in this situation try pushing in the vol knob until the display goes off. Now, the sound will be off and the display will be off and I hope the head unit will not be drawing much power but who knows this thing. Note that the next time you start the car, the sound will come on, but the display will still be off so you have to push 1 of the buttons like "Radio" or "Map" to get it to display again.

·
Registered
18 Outback 3.6r Touring
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If you want to turn it off in this situation try pushing in the vol knob until the display goes off. Now, the sound will be off and the display will be off and I hope the head unit will not be drawing much power but who knows this thing. Note that the next time you start the car, the sound will come on, but the display will still be off so you have to push 1 of the buttons like "Radio" or "Map" to get it to display again.
That doesn't work. The radio remains powered. After an hour when I walked up to the passenger side, unlocked the car and got in all I had to do was turn the volume knob and the radio was still playing. I didn't even have to press the start button to put the car in accy. Only opening drivers door turned off the radio.

·
Registered
179 Posts
The infotament system will turn off in a few minutes. I am not sure how long it takes but it does turn off if you don't open the driver's door. I stayed in the car after I had shut it off browsing my phone and after a couple minutes the infotament system shut off, too
Yes, I just discovered that is the case today. I turned off the car and continued to listen to the radio while my wife went into a store. A few minutes later the sound went off and the screen dark. Turning the volume knob did not make it come back; it wasn't just muted, it was off!

My previous post ( #8 ) probably appeared to work because I just happened to hit that mysterious time-out right after I pushed the volume button.

I'm running firmware 2.17.22.30 YRMV :grin2:

·
Registered
642 Posts
Seriously? You can't turn it off? That seems like an odd feature.

·
Registered
18 Outback 3.6r Touring
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Seriously? You can't turn it off? That seems like an odd feature.
Correct. The starlink guide instructs you to press and hold the power button to turn off the radio. But when you get in and start the car next time, the radio starts blasting out music at the volume that was last set. Sometimes it takes a couple of seconds for the radio to start up so you can't turn the volume down immediately.

·
Registered
2019 2.5i Limited Forester (hers) (4th Subie), 2014 Impreza Premium (mine)(#5)
2,298 Posts
About an hour later I went out still heard music and unlocked the car and opened the passenger door.
Seriously, guys, after all those years of complaining that none of the electronics in the car stayed on when you turned it off (since basically every other manufacturer in world does this already), now that we've done it, you're complaining because we actually DID something that for us is an improvement? And your complaint is that you didn't open the drivers door? Surely at some point in the past you've perhaps noted that if stopped the car and turned it off that the radio kept playing ...

:headshake:headshake:xnuts::RTFM:

·
Registered
31 Posts
Huh, maybe my family was the only one who liked that when the car was off, the accessories etc were off too? The number of GM vehicles batteries killed by a plugged in GPS unit was somewhat stupid.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Huh, maybe my family was the only one who liked that when the car was off, the accessories etc were off too? The number of GM vehicles batteries killed by a plugged in GPS unit was somewhat stupid.
You're not the only one. Makes me glad I bought a '16! What a crazy idea on Subaru's part. Makes no sense whatsoever, so that's why I wasn't sure this was real. But good for battery manufacturers

·
Registered
60 Posts
This is a repeat post about 2018 head units but I think this is very important because a dead battery results... it is similar to the OP situation except we did use the driver door.

If you get used to the radio staying on until you open the door, you will be trained into thinking that is the case anytime the car is off and the radio is on. However, the case yesterday was that my spouse got a call after she locked her car... unlock and got back in the car (cold outside), started Accessory Mode and had the conversation. Then she left the car, locked it, and the radio screen stayed on all day and drained the battery to death. This is confusing, the visual cues make you think you are in the same situation, should not have to remember whether you are in accessory mode or Subaru's self-made mode "partially-shut-down" (and to boot, the way our steering wheel is, you do not see the start-top button and the light on it, which is the only indication of the difference).

Subaru, locking with the key fob should always shut down the radio, or locking (in accessory mode) without starting the car should have a timer involved... Recreated this situation this morning, and as a software developer, find this use-case disturbing.

Reactions: JazzyOne
1 - 20 of 22 Posts