Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Outback 2.5i Premium, Wilderness Green, w/ Eyesight, Power Tailgate
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone else experiencing a hollow vibration sound when closing the driver's door? I've had my 2015 for just over a year and 3-4 months ago I started to notice the driver's door sounding more "hollow" and "tinny" when being shut than the other 3 doors which still have a nice satisfying thump. Searched the forums and found this thread discussing a TSB on 2005 Outbacks:

http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/66-problems-maintenance/35870-front-door-rattle-failed-weld.html

Could this be the same issue popping up on a vehicle 10 years/2 generations newer? Seems like Subaru would incorporated measures to avoid this defect in future products. Anyone else with a '15 or '16 OB experiencing the same issue?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have experienced the same issue with my 2015 Legacy Passenger door. Had issues with the power window not closing and after the fix on that ... I noticed the " hollow door" sound! Thought maybe technician took out insulation with the fix but now not so sure having read other posts!

·
Registered
Tungsten 2015 3.6R Outback
589 Posts
Anyone else experiencing a hollow vibration sound when closing the driver's door? I've had my 2015 for just over a year and 3-4 months ago I started to notice the driver's door sounding more "hollow" and "tinny" when being shut than the other 3 doors which still have a nice satisfying thump.....Anyone else with a '15 or '16 OB experiencing the same issue?
I have had my 2015 3.6 OB for almost 13 months and 12,750 miles now and have not experienced this issue. All of my doors still close with "a nice satisfying thump".

·
Registered
2015 Outback Premium 2.5i w/Eyesight
1 Posts
Have the exact same car as you (even to the color!) and have noticed the same issue. My wife is usually the one driving the Outback so I just noticed it about a month ago. Car was 1yr 2 months old with about 30k on it. I took it by the dealership this morning and they said they could hear the difference, but nothing looked out of alignment.

Have you found any solutions? I hate to get into the guts of the door looking for problems/solutions if I don't have to.

·
Registered
2015 Outback 2.5i, purchased new Oct 2014
302 Posts
My 2015 driver door sounds heftier, and even feels heftier, than my son's, which was built 6 months later than mine. Strange.

·
Master Caster
2005 XT, Mildly Modified...2006 XT Limited, Highly Modifed
16,073 Posts
Top gear said the doors sound like a dead pigeon hitting the ground. That is what I expect from mine.

Wmdpowell car name Roo2

Wholly Sheit...that's funny. I have no idea how to quantify it...(top gear typical) but I like it.

·
Registered
White /Ivory 2015 OB Limited 2.5 Eyesight
985 Posts
Once Again.....

Anyone else experiencing a hollow vibration sound when closing the driver's door? I've had my 2015 for just over a year and 3-4 months ago I started to notice the driver's door sounding more "hollow" and "tinny" when being shut than the other 3 doors which still have a nice satisfying thump. Searched the forums and found this thread discussing a TSB on 2005 Outbacks:

http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/66-problems-maintenance/35870-front-door-rattle-failed-weld.html

Could this be the same issue popping up on a vehicle 10 years/2 generations newer? Seems like Subaru would incorporated measures to avoid this defect in future products. Anyone else with a '15 or '16 OB experiencing the same issue?

......have you taken to the dealer to be checked out --YET???:surprise:

·
Registered
2016 3.6R with all options, 2014 Crosstrek
834 Posts
No issues here after 5K miles in our 3.6. The doors, while nice, don't close with anything even remotely like the deep thump in the 335xi. The more we drive the 3.6, the more we like it. Just needs more power!

·
Registered
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,412 Posts
I have something similar in the pass door of my WRX - I know it's because the body shop failed to properly secure something - likely the motor for the regulator or similar - after a repair. You can sometimes hear a rattle driving and it makes an odd sound when closing.(I'm lazy about getting it fixed because I so rarely have a passenger)

You guys should insist the dealership investigate. Get a SOA Regional Rep involved.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have the same problem. I bought the 2015 Outback because the doors closed with a pleasing thud. Now the front doors close with "ding."

I took it to the dealer today. They are reluctant to remove the sound insulation under the door panel. The service guy said he would call Subaru to see if they will authorize a trip to a body shop. I'm not holding my breath.

I am a little disappointed that a car a year old is coming apart already. The outside skin on the lower part of the door is loose and can be pressed in easily. This loose door skin is what causing the ding upon closing.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I noticed this on mine the other day too. All the passenger doors have a nice thud to them. Next time I'm at the dealer I'll have them take a look and report back.

I'm wondering if it is the insulation/moisture barrier. When I was driving through the SoCal desert with a high crosswind I noticed a lot of voice happening somewhere within the door. Sounded like something was flapping. Can't remember how the door sounded before and immediately after that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hollow Door Sound

Hello. Yes I believe that I have the answer your looking for. I bought my 2015 3.6 in March 2015. About a year later I started to notice the hollow sound when closing the driver's door when it used to sound very solid. I lightly hit the lower outside panel skin part of the door and recreated the sound. Something changed obviously.

So, not one to pass up an opportunity to take something apart, I proceeded to take the inside door panel off and peel back the vapor barrier (adhesive is VERY tacky and the plastic sheet will rip unless you are very careful). With the window in its up position. I could see about 2/3rds down from the top there is a round horizontal support beam with 5 or 6 blobs of adhesive between the beam and the backside of the door skin.

The adhesive blobs were hard and were no longer adhering to the door skin. This is what is causing the skin to flex and create the hollow sound. What I did (since I will do all my own work if possible) was I got a full caulk tube of high quality silicone caulk (like at Home Depot or Lowes). I cleaned the backside of the door panel as best I could with a dry rag. I squeezed some caulk in between the door skin and the hardened adhesive by very gently pushing out on the skin to create a gap to fill with the silicone on each original blob. Then I basically emptied a full caulking gun tube of silicone in between the beam and the door skin across the entire length of the beam.

It's a very tight fit getting a caulking gun in there and I ended up spreading and pushing in the silicone with my fingers. I left the door panel open overnight to let the silicone cure, putting it all back together the next morning.

Problem 100% solved, door sounds rock solid now, going on 6 months. Again, use the more expensive high quality silicone for this for a long term fix. Should I of had it fixed under warranty? Maybe but I don't like the hassle of bringing the car to a dealer and leaving it, and it helps that I'm mechanically inclined to fix or modify almost anything. Besides, I know If I do the work, it gets done right.

If you do it it's a pain in the ***, but you'll get an awesome sense of satisfaction the first time you close your door afterward and hear the solidness. I hope this write-up helps. :smile2:

·
Registered
2017 Outback Limited 2.5, Twilight Blue/Ivory, Eyesight. Also 1995 BMW 525i with 240,000 miles
2,229 Posts
i read somewhere that ALL Subarus rattle after three years. That's not encouraging.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Amazing news. I took the 2015 Outback to the Subaru dealer, and the service manager heard the ringing sound as the door closed and knew it was different from a new car, and after some follow up and cajoling, he called Subaru, and they authorized a fix. We just got the car back today, and the door closing sound like when the car was new. I don't know what they did, but it is fixed (hopefully permanently).

They kept the car for a day and a half because something needed to "cure." I was told by the service manager that I was the only person who had ever complained even though he saw the problem in many 2015 Outbacks.

We live in Phoenix, and maybe cars in cooler climates don't have the problem.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hollow Door Sound on Outback

What dealer did you go to in the Phoenix area that addressed this? I just bought a 2015 Outback a week ago and now noticing the front doors with the hollow sound when closing.

·
Registered
'03 outback limited, '01 Outback Limited, '01 Legacy L wagon, '96 Legacy Brighton wagon
1,970 Posts
On silicones, over the years we found, when gluing down the stressed valve covers on various race cars ( "stressed" as in the valve cover being used to structurally reinforce the engine bay), that the DAP Aluminium silicone worked the very best. Just why, I don't know, but it was the only one that would hold up for multiple races without coming loose.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts