Subaru Outback Forums banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Outback Limited 2.5, Twilight Blue/Ivory, Eyesight. Also 1995 BMW 525i with 240,000 miles
2,250 Posts
My 2016 OB Limited drivers door is having the hollow sound now too. Going to try the silicone treatment myself as well.
I plan to soundproof my front doors next spring so I will "glue" as has been mentioned.
Not sure it has been mentioned but some Outbacks, like mine, have the factory or dealer installed color-coded door protection strips. These will help stiffen the door skin a great deal.

Reactions: Supertone

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have the same issue with my 2010 Legacy. Passenger front door has the hollow sound. Started when the car was @ 3 years old. I've read that this is a common issue- particularly the front passenger door Has there been a recall for this?
I also have a rattle/buzz that comes from my dashboard that I can't seem to locate.
The rest of the car is in great shape.

·
Registered
2017 Outback Limited 2.5, Twilight Blue/Ivory, Eyesight. Also 1995 BMW 525i with 240,000 miles
2,250 Posts
I plan to soundproof my front doors next spring so I will "glue" as has been mentioned.
Not sure it has been mentioned but some Outbacks, like mine, have the factory or dealer installed color-coded door protection strips. These will help stiffen the door skin a great deal.
Soundproofed the front doors. Also caulked the bracing strip. They now sound like bank vault doors. Seems to reduce some road noise. I also think the engine "sounds" different ?? I have a post on my soundproofing efforts. If interested, please do a forum search as I have no idea how to embed a link. :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
What dealer did you go to in the Phoenix area that addressed this? I just bought a 2015 Outback a week ago and now noticing the front doors with the hollow sound when closing.
We took the car to Peoria Subaru. They fixed it under warrantee (the car was under warrantee at that time).

As of today, the doors still close with a thud.

·
Registered
12 Posts
My 2015 2.5 limited is also sounding hallow when closing the drivers door

Sent from my 2PZC5 using Tapatalk
My just purchased 2015 Ltd (56k mi) exhibits this hollow, ringing sound with both front doors. Sounds like slamming the door on 65 Apache pick up. I have a box of dynamat that I bought for my previous Subie ( 07 Forester xT, highly modified - blowed up motor. Too many mods on too many miles. But it sure was fun. Automatic, would slip all four tires on dry pavement!) I assume there’s a door disassembly vid on YouTube...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hmm the 12 Legacy has been Boining for yrs when closing the driver side door. Probably because only door opened. Will take the 19 Outback in as soon as it starts. will try the silicon, as that is what it sounded like

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hmm the 12 Legacy has been Boining for yrs when closing the driver side door. Probably because only door opened. Will take the 19 Outback in as soon as it starts. will try the silicon, as that is what it sounded like
Hoping they have resolved this problem by now

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello! I am having the same exact issue with my 2016 Legacy, I bought it certified from Subaru. I purchased the extended warranty with the vehicle, I have a $100 deductible. I took to my local dealership and they said that it is not covered under warranty, they had me call Subaru of America and the first guy said yes, this is something that this would cover. Then got a call back later and said that they would not cover it. Anyone have any luck with Subaru dealing with this? Thank you in advance. :)

·
Registered
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,481 Posts
Call SOA and arrange to meet a Regional Rep at the dealer's. They might work something out for you.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Anyone else experiencing a hollow vibration sound when closing the driver's door? I've had my 2015 for just over a year and 3-4 months ago I started to notice the driver's door sounding more "hollow" and "tinny" when being shut than the other 3 doors which still have a nice satisfying thump. Searched the forums and found this thread discussing a TSB on 2005 Outbacks:

Front Door Rattle - Failed Weld?

Could this be the same issue popping up on a vehicle 10 years/2 generations newer? Seems like Subaru would incorporated measures to avoid this defect in future products. Anyone else with a '15 or '16 OB experiencing the same issue?
I have a 2015 Legacy and both the driver door and passenger door started to have this issue. I live in St. Petersburg Florida and the high temps and humid climate deteriorated the glue/epoxy that holds the sheet metal on the outside of the door to the interior bracing. To fix this, I bought a can of spray foam window/door insulation, removed the interior trim pieces on both doors, removed the speakers on both doors, and was able to access the metal bracing behind the exterior sheet metal. I sprayed the spray foam insulation in along the metal rail starting as far back as I could and working my way back up. I let it cure overnight and put the doors back together.

pro- It fixed the noise and I now have the satisfying thawump when I close the doors again.
con- It made a terrible mess inside the door, but hopefully when I sell/trade it no one will be the wiser unless they take the door apart.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a 2015 Legacy and both the driver door and passenger door started to have this issue. I live in St. Petersburg Florida and the high temps and humid climate deteriorated the glue/epoxy that holds the sheet metal on the outside of the door to the interior bracing. To fix this, I bought a can of spray foam window/door insulation, removed the interior trim pieces on both doors, removed the speakers on both doors, and was able to access the metal bracing behind the exterior sheet metal. I sprayed the spray foam insulation in along the metal rail starting as far back as I could and working my way back up. I let it cure overnight and put the doors back together.

pro- It fixed the noise and I now have the satisfying thawump when I close the doors again.
con- It made a terrible mess inside the door, but hopefully when I sell/trade it no one will be the wiser unless they take the door apart.
Also- Yes, I have a warranty and the dealer would not cover this noise when I took it in. They wanted $150 an hour to "explore/troubleshoot" the issue. My fix cost $6 for the spray foam and about 1/2 an hour to take the doors apart/put them back together.

The whole car is coming apart 5 years in. The Subaru emblem peeled off the steering wheel, the chrome plastic tape has peeled off the parking brake, the steering wheel has turned grey where my hands rest on it, and the rearview mirror delaminated and I had to replace it. My car only has 77K miles on it. Needless to say, I will not be buying another Subaru as the build quality has been terrible over time.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts