Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Outback 2.5
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The driver's side window won't work on my 2011 Outback. Fuses look fine. What is interesting is that when I try to put it down the engine RPM dips slightly, like it does with any of the other windows if you try to put them up or down when they are already all the way up or down. To me that means that the switch and motor are still good but I hear no sound, am I thinking correctly about that? But if that is true, why doesn't the window go down? I have run something around the edge of the window seal to make sure it's not stuck. Could something internal be frozen or in a bind? I don't want to buy a new switch or motor if that is fine but I'm not sure how to proceed with troubleshooting. Is the next step to tear down the door and see what I find?

Thanks for the help.

Chris

·
Premium Member
01 VDC, 05 R Sedan, 06 BAJA EJ257
16,309 Posts
Off there engine drags down with switch operation that means there's an electrical load. It does not mean the window motor is good. The motor can be bad and draw current.

Yes, take the door panel off and check electrical flow to and from the switch and at the motor.

·
Registered
2011 Outback 2.5
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Off there engine drags down with switch operation that means there's an electrical load. It does not mean the window motor is good. The motor can be bad and draw current.

Yes, take the door panel off and check electrical flow to and from the switch and at the motor.
That is a good point, I'll do that first. Thanks!

·
Registered
2001 Outback Wagon 3.0 VDC
358 Posts
If you pull the door panel off and the window motor is hot then it has failed and causing an internal short which is why it would still create a current draw when you press the switch, don't burn your fingers!!
I learned the hard way, once! 😄 had to let the window motor cool down before removing it!

·
Registered
2011 Outback 2.5
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That is a good tip, thanks! It'll probably be a few weeks before I get around to tearing down the door.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The driver's side window won't work on my 2011 Outback. Fuses look fine. What is interesting is that when I try to put it down the engine RPM dips slightly, like it does with any of the other windows if you try to put them up or down when they are already all the way up or down. To me that means that the switch and motor are still good but I hear no sound, am I thinking correctly about that? But if that is true, why doesn't the window go down? I have run something around the edge of the window seal to make sure it's not stuck. Could something internal be frozen or in a bind? I don't want to buy a new switch or motor if that is fine but I'm not sure how to proceed with troubleshooting. Is the next step to tear down the door and see what I find?

Thanks for the help.

Chris
were you able to fix this? I am selling my outback and the buyers want me to fix this

1 - 8 of 8 Posts