Subaru Outback Forums banner

41 - 58 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
03,outback 2.5l 5sp
35 Posts
I have the same problem, it's the rear one. There's play and vibrates. I call tow junkyards in my area and they ask like from $325 to $425 Cdn . It's way too much for me. So I ask From where could I get a used one cheap and ask them if they deliver, or get a new U-joint.

one other question please, as anyone tried driving front wheel on a manual? is it possible? any damage on the long run?
Tanx for any help

·
Registered
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,475 Posts
the VLSD in the trans can transfer some power but from reading a few instances where there have been briken rear axles or someone has tried what you suggest, it can barely move the car on level ground.

If you could find an old drivehsaft shop near your town, they may be able to help with a repair.

·
Registered
Outbacks, SVXs, XT6, 4Runner, Celica, Brat, E150s
689 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Yep. A friend of mine had a rear axle pop out of the diff (probably wasn't seated in there correctly in the first place...but whatever). Leaving it to the VLSD center diff to transfer power to the front. It drove like a completely blown clutch, and could barely be moved across a flat parking lot.

You could weld the center diff, and plug the rear output. But that's a little extreme when you just need a ujoint.

Reactions: 1 Lucky Texan

·
Registered
03,outback 2.5l 5sp
35 Posts
Thank you both of you. So the best way is to replace U-joint or a used shaft.
I did find used at a junkyard but here they ask a lot. I'm close to Vermont I don't know if I could find in there

·
Registered
2006 Outback 2.5i
26 Posts
@Numbchux Found your post here as I have to do the same on my 06 Outback. (First, thanks for all the legwork in figuring out the parts lists and such!)

About to get a 12T press from HF and got two joints on order from Autozone. Question is, while I have the driveshaft out to do the rear U-joint, I know the center support is on the old side too (~230k miles). Have you done, or would you happen to know, if there's a P/N for the support that would work that's just not listed as a direct fit on various websites? Of course I can always pull it back out, but doesn't hurt to ask.

PS - I too ran into rounding off nuts on the diff flange connection, got new hardware on order already!

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
I haven't messed with them....never had one fail, personally.

We had them replaced at the local driveline shop, so it's possible.

Reactions: Jerry Erjavec

·
Registered
2006 Outback 2.5i
26 Posts
I haven't messed with them....never had one fail, personally.

We had them replaced at the local driveline shop, so it's possible.
Thanks for the reply. I don't think it's bad, I just wanted to ask the question while doing other work on the drive shaft (and be prepared if I had to replace it).

·
Registered
2008 Subaru Outback 2.5l LL Bean edition
7 Posts
Hello all - been reading this thread with interest as I have just had my 2008 Outback into the shop, and I have one U joint on it's way out.... The problem is that up in Canada (BC) there are NO U-joints listed anywhere. It's like a conspiracy........ I am tempted (and likely will) order one from the states and have it delivered to the border where I have a post office box, and then pick it up. The autozone one is no longer listed in the PDF that was linked on this thread - bizarre to say the least, but it is still available in the states, so I am going to assume that it is still the one. It's like an autoparts conspiracy on the part of Subaru.........

·
Registered
OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
12,391 Posts
Hello all - been reading this thread with interest as I have just had my 2008 Outback into the shop, and I have one U joint on it's way out.... The problem is that up in Canada (BC) there are NO U-joints listed anywhere. It's like a conspiracy........ I am tempted (and likely will) order one from the states and have it delivered to the border where I have a post office box, and then pick it up. The autozone one is no longer listed in the PDF that was linked on this thread - bizarre to say the least, but it is still available in the states, so I am going to assume that it is still the one. It's like an autoparts conspiracy on the part of Subaru.........
other companies also sell ujoints that work, not just Rockford.

Is this place canadian with the 430-10 available?

·
Registered
7 Posts
other companies also sell ujoints that work, not just Rockford.

Is this place canadian with the 430-10 available?
I dunno - but I am going to check it out..... Looks like they ship in canada.
Thanks and Cheers!
Craig

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
The autozone one is no longer listed in the PDF that was linked on this thread - bizarre to say the least, but it is still available in the states, so I am going to assume that it is still the one.
The PDF is from Rockford, not Autozone. So no, it won't have the same part number, but it's a more complete application list.

Since these are not intended to be serviced, finding listings for them is a bit harder. But these part numbers frequently do cross-reference in other catalogs, even if the application listing doesn't match. Just start searching those part numbers...I bet you'll find them.

·
Registered
2006 Outback 2.5i
26 Posts
The PDF is from Rockford, not Autozone. So no, it won't have the same part number, but it's a more complete application list.

Since these are not intended to be serviced, finding listings for them is a bit harder. But these part numbers frequently do cross-reference in other catalogs, even if the application listing doesn't match. Just start searching those part numbers...I bet you'll find them.
For what it's worth (assuming you can find it), the Autozone PN (2-0430DL) worked in my '06 Outback shaft no problem...other than a slight operator error pushing the new bearing caps in the first time. Since it appears they might be difficult to get quick, I'd pick up at least one spare if not a couple, just in case you F one up off the bat like I did if nothing else.

The 12T hydraulic press I picked up from Harbor Freight for doing this had no problem pushing the "stakes" out of the way without pre-grinding them down, and then a 1" shank mounted flap wheel chucked in my drill to clean out both sides of the yokes before putting the new bearing caps in worked well.

·
Registered
7 Posts
For what it's worth (assuming you can find it), the Autozone PN (2-0430DL) worked in my '06 Outback shaft no problem...other than a slight operator error pushing the new bearing caps in the first time. Since it appears they might be difficult to get quick, I'd pick up at least one spare if not a couple, just in case you F one up off the bat like I did if nothing else.

The 12T hydraulic press I picked up from Harbor Freight for doing this had no problem pushing the "stakes" out of the way without pre-grinding them down, and then a 1" shank mounted flap wheel chucked in my drill to clean out both sides of the yokes before putting the new bearing caps in worked well.
Thanks Jerry - I'm going to track them down - will do both on the rear, and get a couple of spares......

Cheers - Craig

·
Registered
2003 OBW 2.5
49 Posts
Yeah I know - I don't know how you guys stand being this close to us........?
You know man... Canada is like a loft apartment over a really great party! But you're welcome to come on down bro... As long as you're a Conservative :D we don't need anymore fruitcakes and loons.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Does anyone know the outside diameter of the Driveshaft U joints/bearings for Subaru Outback 2001 2.5L manual Base model? I ordered from 2 different manufacturers on eBay and one is about 22 mm while the other about 20mm!

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
Does anyone know the outside diameter of the Driveshaft U joints/bearings for Subaru Outback 2001 2.5L manual Base model? I ordered from 2 different manufacturers on eBay and one is about 22 mm while the other about 20mm!
A quick google search for the Rockford part number I listed earlier in this thread shows a .867" cap diameter.

Or, just buy the AutoZone one I bought. I've used them in several cars, they fit great, have longer needle bearings than stock, liftetime warranty, good availability, and reasonable price.

41 - 58 of 58 Posts