Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
05 GT wagon, 09 Spec B, 18 3.6R Outback
484 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I just placed an order for a shaft for my 2005 Legacy GT wagon. I'll update next week when I get it.

Reactions: 1 Lucky Texan

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just placed an order for a shaft for my 2005 Legacy GT wagon. I'll update next week when I get it.
I replaced the shaft on my '06 Outback 3.0 in April of 2019. Got the part on Ebay for about half of what this site is asking. 15k miles later still working fine.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The shaft showed up yesterday, I took few pictures and then dropped it off at the transmission shop.

I have posted pictures here, https://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/driveshaft-replacable-u-joints-283373.html

That thread also has a reply from the Vendor to a email I sent them.

jm7qb, I have a history of trying to replace the shaft that came in the car a few years back. It's easy to get one for a Outback, not so for a Legacy GT. Ended up having to buy a OEM shaft, which is the one that now had notchy joints.

This one also has replaceable U joints, which the OEM does not have.

The carrier bearing support for the Outback is taller than a Legacy.

Reactions: plain OM

·
Registered
4 Posts
The shaft showed up yesterday, I took few pictures and then dropped it off at the transmission shop.

I have posted pictures here, https://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/driveshaft-replacable-u-joints-283373.html

That thread also has a reply from the Vendor to a email I sent them.

jm7qb, I have a history of trying to replace the shaft that came in the car a few years back. It's easy to get one for a Outback, not so for a Legacy GT. Ended up having to buy a OEM shaft, which is the one that now had notchy joints.

This one also has replaceable U joints, which the OEM does not have.

The carrier bearing support for the Outback is taller than a Legacy.
Interesting - I was not aware. Good luck with your project!

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The shipping weight for the new shaft was 27lbs. I'll check the OEM shaft when I get it back.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
OEM shaft weigh's 19lbs. I put it back in the shipping box, and the total weight was 25lbs.

Shipping weight of the new shaft was 27lbs.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have 150 miles on this shaft. it works fine. Two other Legacy GT members have also ordered one.

Reactions: RoughDiamond
1 - 9 of 9 Posts