Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

First time user from australia,

Got a noisey Subaru outback. automatic 2000 model, 120k kilometres. Only occurs when accelerating and is consistent with vehicle speed. The previous owner/mechanic had way too much diff and tranny fluid in to disguise the noise. not sure if both are an issue or just the diff. apparently the "pinion bearing" could have gone... not sure where that one is. after 3000 kilometres since fresh oil, I have the following on my diff plug..

I assume thats not normal so I know something wrong inside. Taking it all apart at the moment.

1. What should i be looking for apart from a new diff?
2. Is it worth bothering with a second-hand untested diff? or will they be useless too?
3. what else should i replace while i'm in here?

Thanks Guys

·
Registered
514 Posts
One quick question,
Do you let anyone drive your car who may be abusing it in some way, like a teenager or even older who likes to lay wheels, pull hole-shots, etc?

Is there anyone beating on your car by the way they are driving it?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the reply

I've only owned it for a few months, my fiance drives it and she is isn't reckless. ... the sound has been getting louder and louder, sounded like a very muted whine when we bought it... I wrote that noise off as just being part of an auto transmission. eek.

also, Doing sharp turns into an steep driveway cause a large and fairly loud click... only sharp turns and not on the flat.?? may be unrelated.

·
Registered
514 Posts
OK,

Now that we have that settled, someone else will need to chime in here who can diagnose your particular issue. Having the differential apart is above my mechanical ability at this point.:(

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
...diff isnt apart. and will just replace the unit. what else should i look at while i'm here. is this a common issue?

James

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
About this Discussion
4 Replies
2 Participants
jimmythehat
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing