Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I have the 2010 Outback 2.5i. I have a question regarding the "Driving Range on Remaining Fuel" display on the dashboard. When the gas tank is full, what driving range shows on yours? Mine has been showing 420 miles for the past 3 years. But lately it is showing 490 miles. Is that possible? :confused:

My 3 years warranty ends on 11/17, may be it is time to take it back to the dealer for a final check.

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
Two things:

A) The calculation is based off of your current mpg (and when you reset the dial it seem to remember your past history),

B) The calculation can be off and is adjustable (instructions on this forum somewhere)

Mine typically says 490-510 after a fill-up. I have achieved 520 miles between fill-ups once, so yes it is possible (fuel pump shut off was at 17.1 gal, so I feel I cut it kinda close). Typically I get closer 380-430 before I pull off and fuel up but there is still 2-3 gals in the tank.

Math says the same: 29mpg hwy X 18.5 gal. = 536 miles till bingo This was a factor in my selecting the OB as my next car. A few times a year I drive to Oregon and I can make the whole trip without a fuel stop, my Jeep needed two fuel stops.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Did your driving habits change on you're last tank? One fill up my range increased 100 miles because I had done more highway driving on that tank.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My driving habit is the same. I think there is something wrong with it. One time it went to 510 and then dropped back down to 420 after about 50 miles. Lucky I still have the warranty. Thanks for replying anyway! :)

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
My driving habit is the same. I think there is something wrong with it. One time it went to 510 and then dropped back down to 420 after about 50 miles. Lucky I still have the warranty. Thanks for replying anyway! :)
Your current MPG average is figured into an estimated range and it will change!

On one family trip couple times of year our range will go up by nearly 100 miles halfway through the fuel tank due to the very long down hill run we do on the back side of the mountain.

If your miles till empty number did not change I would say it was broken.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The dealer did a reset for me. I didn't have a chance to fill it up yet. I will know soon.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
About this Discussion
5 Replies
4 Participants
subie10
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing