Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here in canada my 2017 outback has the hi beam and drl share the same bulb,I noticed the 2018 are using the leds around the headlight,is there a way to do that on a17 without messing up warranty’

·
Registered
1 Posts
To disable the DRL on the 2015-17 Outback / Just un plug the connector. A little tight but it can be done without removing the headlight or bumper. It is located behind the drivers side headlight.

·
Registered
1999 30th Anniversary Legacy Outback DOHC 2.5L 4EAT, 2008 Impreza WRX 2.5L 5MT, 2008 Impreza Wagon 2.5L 4EAT
1,224 Posts
To disable the DRL on the 2015-17 Outback / Just un plug the connector. A little tight but it can be done without removing the headlight or bumper. It is located behind the drivers side headlight.

DRLs are mandatory in Canada

·
Registered
2017 2.5i Premium Outback w/Eyesight, Venetian Red Pearl
299 Posts
Just curious. I've noticed that some people are really against DRL's and want to disable them. What is the issue I seem to be missing?

·
Meh.
I has wagons.
12,382 Posts
Just curious. I've noticed that some people are really against DRL's and want to disable them. What is the issue I seem to be missing?
My issues is the DRL's can make people think they have their headlights on at night when they don't. DRLs only, no tail lights on...vehicle is VERY hard to see at night. I saw this all the time, and even did it a time or two while living in Chicago.

·
Registered
59 Posts
My issues is the DRL's can make people think they have their headlights on at night when they don't. DRLs only, no tail lights on...vehicle is VERY hard to see at night. I saw this all the time, and even did it a time or two while living in Chicago.
That makes no sense.

DRL's do not activate headlight indicator in console.
DRL's do not dim console lights as when headlights are on.
DRL's do not provide enough light to see.

DRL's in study after study improve safety.

·
Meh.
I has wagons.
12,382 Posts
None of that is relevant on older cars. New ones with the LED DRL strips, sure, but not on any vehicle I've every driven.

-I have no headlight indicator on the dash in a Gen 2 platform, nor is there one in our 3rd gen which also predates the DRL indicator put in newer models.
-Console lights, you're correct on some models. Others with gauges that always appear illuminated (here's looking at you Gen 3 Outbacks, the difference is minimal).
-Correct on point 3, but you'd never know it by the number of people only using them. Saw it in Chicago, now back in TN, everywhere I've ever been.

DRL's in theory are great, but I think auto lights would be better. Takes human stupidity/obliviousness out of the picture.

·
Registered
2021 MGM Outback 2.5i Premium with Tungsten Grey seats
3,019 Posts
That makes no sense.

A couple comments on the bolded statement.

Not all vehicles have these indicators and I don't believe @AWDFTW was talking JUST about Outbacks but a statement in general
The indicator on Subarus is that the PARKING LIGHTS are on, not the full headlights (and with the parking lights on, the DRLs still run)

·
Registered
'15 Outback 2.5i Premium
2,633 Posts
I agree with all of that (except for the "did it myself" part, yet, as far as I know). There's another reason I'll get to in a moment.

That makes no sense.

So what? How many drivers notice things like indicator lights that aren't there? How many keep their dashboard illumination cranked way up?

Even the relatively dim DRLs, which apparently do provide enough light to see, just not enough to see well, seem to go unnoticed by many drivers.

Dim headlights are not unusual. Where I live the requirement for annual safety inspections was abolished more than a decade ago. You might be surprised at the number of cars on the roads here with only one working headlight; I'd be willing to wager that most of their drivers are blissfully unaware that they're driving with only half the light they could have, or even if they do know it, they think it's enough.

If that were unambiguously true, they would be required. Period. What seems to be the case is that results are inconclusive.

https://www.quora.com/Why-arent-day-time-running-lights-mandatory-on-new-cars-sold-in-the-US-They-are-mandatory-most-other-places-in-the-world said:
As recently as 2008, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration concluded there is no evidence that DRLs provide enough of a safety benefit to require federal regulation.
Apparently this has not changed. NHTSA is not averse to new regulations they deem necessary for safety, and I doubt there's a well-funded and well-oiled anti-DRL lobby keeping them from doing so if they thought it would be beneficial. Maybe there really is no compelling safety benefit to the things, so no reason to require them?

Why I disabled mine:

Sometimes there's a reason to drive (obviously very slowly) at night without headlights on.

I often attend dark-sky astronomy gatherings, and at these events, use of white lights is strongly discouraged. Why? Because white light can ruin in moments dark adaptation that takes the better part of an hour to acquire (not to mention an even fairly bright white light can be surprisingly painful if your eyes are fully dark-adapted). Even if they're are pointed away from the viewing area, headlights are bright enough to cause problems, and DRLs, while dimmer, are still quite bright in areas where it's really dark. Some of these events are in gated areas, and once the gates close at dusk, movement of cars after dark is simply banned except in an emergency. Others simply ask you to park in a way that minimizes inconvenience to others if you're going to arrive or depart after dark, and avoid headlight use if you can.

There is no legal requirement for me to have DRLs on my car, there is no compelling evidence that they are even useful, and they are a nuisance at times. So I disconnected them.

·
Registered
2017 Outback 2.5i Limited
1,107 Posts
Boy, ain't that the truth, SkipW. With no state inspections in Oklahoma, we have a LOT of cars running around that should be parked permanently in salvage yards. I have just as many drivers pull out in front of me with DRL's as I did without them.

·
Premium Member
2016 Outback Premium 2.5 CVT w/EyeSight+SRVD
7,727 Posts
... there is no compelling evidence that [DRLs] are even useful ...
Like other such "visibility" initiatives, DRLs were probably more beneficial when they were unique, with the few of them on the road really standing out. The high-mounted third brake light is a classic example: When first introduced on a trial basis (on metropolitan taxis, as I remember), the rate of rear end collisions dropped dramatically on cars so equipped ... but by the time they became commonplace, almost a decade later, the rear-end accident rate had almost returned to the same rate as non-equipped vehicles. The results were similar when full-time headlights were adopted on motorcycles. Anything distinctive or unusual initially attracts attention, and accident rates may decrease temporarily, but once the unusual becomes commonplace that value is all but lost.

Reactions: Menel
1 - 14 of 14 Posts