Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All — I’ve got a bit of perplexing issue. My DRLs and low beams went out at the same time on both sides. Went out in the sense that they were working then I started the car and they weren’t. Brights and turn signals still work; checked the fuses and relay and they are all good. Any thoughts?

Possibly related — the day after I noticed the issue with the lights, I noticed that my clock was about 8-10 hours behind, I am assuming this is due to the same incident.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
18,165 Posts
I might be mistaken, but I believe the DRL lights on the 2013 are actually the high beam bulbs at slightly reduced brightness. It's not clear what you mean by "brights", where the "brights" are working but not the low beams and DRL's.

Perhaps check the Owners Manual to better identify which bulbs are out. (Pages 11-44 to 11-45 and 12-14 to 12-15.)

Incidentally, it's not uncommon here to see posts suggesting both headlight bulb(s) (typically the low beams) failed at the same time, where in fact one had failed earlier, but there was enough light from the other that it wasn't noticed. Only after the opposite bulb also went out was the loss of both bulbs apparent.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I might be mistaken, but I believe the DRL lights on the 2013 are actually the high beam bulbs at slightly reduced brightness. It's not clear what you mean by "brights", where the "brights" are working but not the low beams and DRL's.

Perhaps check the Owners Manual to better identify which bulbs are out. (Pages 11-44 to 11-45 and 12-14 to 12-15.)

Incidentally, it's not uncommon here to see posts suggesting both headlight bulb(s) (typically the low beams) failed at the same time, where in fact one had failed earlier, but there was enough light from the other that it wasn't noticed. Only after the opposite bulb also went out was the loss of both bulbs apparent.
Thanks for the response! I meant high beams. If the high beams and DRLs are the same bulbs, what would cause the DRLs not to function but the high beams function?

·
Registered
18,165 Posts
. . .what would cause the DRLs not to function but the high beams function?
Ah, okay, so the DRL's don't work (should work with the engine is running and parking brake is released, but headlight switch at Off), but the high beams do work (the latter with ignition On, Headlight switch On at the full headlight position, and the headlight dimmer switch set for the high beams).

That is odd, but based on the attached wiring diagram, it could be a fault in the Body Integrated Unit (although less likely), the DRL relay, or the daytime running light resistor or the connections to it.

In regard to the clock, did you pull fuses out to check them? Perhaps the power to the clock was interrupted; when power is restored, it would reset to the start default, usually something like 12:00, and resume from there.

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So it was actually four burnt out bulbs! Not sure how that happened. There are smaller bulbs just next to the high beam bulbs which serve as the DRLs. I think they were 194s or 149s.

·
Registered
18,165 Posts
That's consistent with your description of the High Beams working, but not the DRLs. However, the wiring diagram doesn't make any mention of this distinction. It shows the high beam bulb serving for both functions, and includes the DRL resistor that is used to reduce the current through the bulb for DRL purposes.

The Owners Manual, page 12-14, shows a bulb between the high beam and low beam bulbs, but it's identified as a parking light (aka "clearance light"). According to the wiring diagram, and other descriptions, that bulb is on when the headlight switch is set to either of the On positions.

Strange inconsistency with the documentation . . .

·
Registered
18,165 Posts
Nope, I’ve got two separate bulbs the 194 (smaller ones to the upper left of the high beam) function as my DRL. See picture below.
Thought there was another instance of "what bulb is what" on a 4th gen Outback, and found it: http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/104-gen-4-2010-2014/135258-2012-outback-what-light-isn-t-working-pics.html

In that one there was confusion as to which bulbs acted as the DRLs, and finally concluded it's the high beam bulbs for sure.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts