Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Outback 3.6R Limited with EyeSight, Nav, Remote Start, Towing Package, Tunsten
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have came up with a quick and easy mod for the DRLs. This mod ONLY works with halogen high beams.
I found a 7440 LED switchback kit on ebay for $20.00 and decided to give it try. This is a plug and play light that replaces the front turn signal lamp. I removed the DRL relays in the engine compartment fuse box. This is where some electrical experience will come in. I cut terminal off of the relay to disable the high beam DRL. I then opened the relay and soldered a small wire to that connection inside the relay and routed at through the side of the relay. This wire was ran to the respective new turn signal lamp DRL. When installing the lamps, I noticed the sockets did not seal well so, I added a 20 X 3mm o-ring which now seals tight. To put the system back to stock, all I need to do is replace the relays. These run about $18.00. The high beam operation is not effected by this. I have added a photos. Comparison between the stock and LED DRL. DRL only. Turn signal. DRL with parking lights on. Headlights on. Kit

Attachments

·
Registered
2015 3.6R
1,855 Posts
I've had the turn signal switchbacks for a while now and they've been working great. I just hooked them up with an "add-a-fuse" tap to an empty slot in the fuse box that gets power when ignition is turned on. 5 minute install.

·
Registered
2022 Outback Touring XT. Also 1995 BMW 525i with 240,000 miles
2,616 Posts
OK, I understand there are various ways to complete this mod. However, why? Not sure what you gain? :)

Reactions: jsherrillj

·
Registered
2017 Outback 3.6R Limited with EyeSight, Nav, Remote Start, Towing Package, Tunsten
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I wanted the switchback to work just like the factory DRL. They turn off when the headlights are on and only come on when the car is in gear. I also didnt find any detailed threads on the mod or comparison between the factory and LED DRLs. .

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Also, did you all disable the factory DRL? The plug for resistor looks like a pain to get to.

·
Registered
2016 Subaru Outback 2.5 Premium, white.
16 Posts
I am very interested in this conversion - I hate the halogen high beams as yellowish DRL. I disabled them, but would love to have a bright LED DRL for added safety. It seems that this is the perfect solution for my '16 Outback. 7440 LED switchback in place of the front blinker, that will act as a LED DRL and a turn signal (if I understood correctly) Can someone explain the "easy way" in simple steps for me?
Much appreciated!
Nick

·
Registered
2015 3.6R
1,855 Posts
Can someone explain the "easy way" in simple steps for me?
Much appreciated!
Nick
The easy way for me was getting something like below.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2x-7440-T2...255637394?epid=7008524822&hash=item2856d73992

Then it's just a matter of replacing the turn signal bulb with the above and run the DRL wire to the fuse box using an add-a-fuse tap similar to this. I believe our OBs use the low profile taps. 5 amps is plenty.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/ADD-A-CIRC...764726&hash=item2a67147af1:g:B6MAAOSwUKxYe0it

Just have to tap into an empty slot where the DRL will come on when the ignition is turned on. I believe there are two empty slots like that. I can always check tomorrow during the day and take some pics of where I have it tapped.

DRL is white and turn signals amber. When the engine is shut off the DRL's go off in a few seconds.

I also disabled the halogen DRL as these work well as my DRL now.

Hope that helps some.

·
Registered
'15 Outback 2.5i Premium
2,632 Posts
Also, did you all disable the factory DRL? The plug for resistor looks like a pain to get to.
It is, but, IMO, still beats clipping pins. Disconnecting the resistor plug can be reversed without having to replace parts, and is easier to reconnect than disconnecting it was if you do the disconnection right (i.e. leave the connector not entirely pulled apart, but enough to break the connection).

·
Registered
2016 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited / OP: 23 / PP: 5
61 Posts

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2x-7440-T2...255637394?epid=7008524822&hash=item2856d73992

Then it's just a matter of replacing the turn signal bulb with the above and run the DRL wire to the fuse box using an add-a-fuse tap similar to this. I believe our OBs use the low profile taps. 5 amps is plenty.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/ADD-A-CIRC...764726&hash=item2a67147af1:g:B6MAAOSwUKxYe0it

Just have to tap into an empty slot where the DRL will come on when the ignition is turned on. I believe there are two empty slots like that. I can always check tomorrow during the day and take some pics of where I have it tapped.

DRL is white and turn signals amber. When the engine is shut off the DRL's go off in a few seconds.

Hope that helps some.
Did you have to use 2 of the taps? One for each light?

ARTGEAR 12V 24V Low Profile Add-a-Circuit Fuse Tap, ACS Miniature Piggy Back Blade Fuse Holder with Wire Harness, 6 pcs Fuse (3A 5A 7.5A 10A 15A 20A) and Fuse Puller (Pack of 4) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B078T7G1C2/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_nf1vDbAYQQ764

Hope that helps some.
Did you need to use 2 of the taps? One for each light?

ARTGEAR 12V 24V Low Profile Add-a-Circuit Fuse Tap, ACS Miniature Piggy Back Blade Fuse Holder with Wire Harness, 6 pcs Fuse (3A 5A 7.5A 10A 15A 20A) and Fuse Puller (Pack of 4) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B078T7G1C2/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_nf1vDbAYQQ764

·
Registered
2015 3.6R
1,855 Posts
Did you have to use 2 of the taps? One for each light?
No. Just one tap connected both lights. I've since installed these which come with an extra wire you can tap into the side marker light so the DRL functions turns off when the headlights come on. Still just one tap to the fuse box and then the optional tap to the side maker as mentioned if you want the DRL part to turn off with headlights on. They've been great.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I have came up with a quick and easy mod for the DRLs. This mod ONLY works with halogen high beams.
I found a 7440 LED switchback kit on ebay for $20.00 and decided to give it try. This is a plug and play light that replaces the front turn signal lamp. I removed the DRL relays in the engine compartment fuse box. This is where some electrical experience will come in. I cut terminal off of the relay to disable the high beam DRL. I then opened the relay and soldered a small wire to that connection inside the relay and routed at through the side of the relay. This wire was ran to the respective new turn signal lamp DRL. When installing the lamps, I noticed the sockets did not seal well so, I added a 20 X 3mm o-ring which now seals tight. To put the system back to stock, all I need to do is replace the relays. These run about $18.00. The high beam operation is not effected by this. I have added a photos. Comparison between the stock and LED DRL. DRL only. Turn signal. DRL with parking lights on. Headlights on. Kit
The white wire is what you ended up connecting to the relay? The plug end just connects to the factory turn signal bulb holder for the turn signal function?

·
Registered
61 Posts
man...you went way complicated. I did the exact same thing, except I picked up a plug extender like this one.

I just tapped the new drl wire to the positive and done...even with drl's disabled, it still gets signal at this point
Hey there...would like to clarify your set up if you don't mind...

Used the plug extender so you wouldn't have to tap the stock harness of the high beam?
The white wire shown with the kit would just tap to the hot wire of that plug extender?
I would think that it wouldn't be enough power to run the DRL from that tap since the high beams don't turn on as DRLs on when I disconnected the DRL resistor. I am running LED high beams (and low beams).

·
Registered
2015 Outback 2.5i Limited w/eyesight
119 Posts
I just installed these:
Easy install. Red wire to high beam POS, white wire to low beam POS. Remove turn signal bulb and plug connector from the new lights into the socket. Disconnected DRL resistor which was easy to get to since I removed the battery to do the wiring. New lights are perfect and Turn on and off the same as factory DRLs.

·
Registered
2017 Outback Premium 2.5 with Eyesight. 19mm Rear Sway Bar. Steering Dampener Lock Down. HID upgrade from retrofit source.
224 Posts
I don't like disconnecting connections if I don't have to. Based on where I have lived, it allows the green crusties to creep in. I found instead of disconnecting wires or clipping pins, if you replace the 5 pin DRL relays with 4 pin relays, it is effectively the same as clipping pins. The high beams still work and the DRLs are disabled. (Without the DRL relays, the high beams don't work at all.) I installed VLEDs switchback LEDs in the front turn signal sockets. Amber turn signals and white "DRLs" when the lights are in any of the ON positions. (Auto (EDIT - Night Time Only), Parking lights and ON). Tapped the 10A illiumination fuse under the hood as a signal wire for the white portion of the switchback. Turn the lights fully off while in drive or park and there are no lights up front. (I usually run in ON anyway, but now will probably run in AUTO). These switchbacks have a feature that dims the white bulbs if the headlights are on but I haven't tapped the headlight wire for that feature to work. Will see if I want to go that route after a few nights driving.

EDIT: 15NOV2020 - It was pointed out that the switchbacks do not work in the AUTO mode when it is daytime. The 10A fuses under the hood either lose power when in AUTO and during the day, or are always hot. If they are always hot, the lights remain on after the car is off, so this fuse isn't an option. I usually run in parking lamp mode, so I never noticed this issue.

Reactions: ammcinnis

·
Premium Member
2016 Outback Premium 2.5 CVT w/EyeSight+SRVD
7,722 Posts
... replace the 5 pin DRL relays with 4 pin relays ...
Excellent solution for disabling the DRLs! For future reference, confirming the proper Subaru part number(s) for the 4-pin relay would help.

5-pin (OE) = SPDT
4-pin = SPST (normally open)

Attachments

·
Registered
2017 Outback Premium 2.5 with Eyesight. 19mm Rear Sway Bar. Steering Dampener Lock Down. HID upgrade from retrofit source.
224 Posts
Ive found that during the day with the switchback setup, running with the parking lamps on as DRLs is more than sufficient. The LED "halos" or headlight white "C" light, whatever you want to call it, and the white switchbacks in the blinker socket are quite bright. In the AUTO mode, the same lights are on during the day, and the headlights come on at night. I do a lot of parking garages throughout the day, and I don't like my HIDs to cycle on and off a lot, so I run with the parking lamps on. I really like this setup, and I don't have the high beams on at half brightness for DRLs. I would recommend as an alternate solution to the stock DRL setup.

Edit: was going to take a picture but the lighting in my parking garage is terrible. Did notice that one of my HIDs is smoked though. Will have to get pictures later. The replacement bulbs don’t just pop in. I have to plug them into 4 different connections and I don’t have my snips on me to cut the cable ties I put in there.

On a side note.The Morimoto HID kit I installed has worked great for 2 years and I didn’t expect more than 2 years worth of bulb life. Pulling the old one out though I can tell they get hot. The plastic around the socket is slightly yellowed. No signs of melting, but something to mention.

·
Registered
224 Posts
What is the socket surrounding the bulb on the OEM Subaru HIDs made out of? I thought the halogen and HID light fixtures were the same on the Gen 5 Outback. Just that the halogen models didn’t have HIDs installed. Anyone want to take a peek at the OEM fixture and see if it is yellowing or not? Maybe these Morimoto bulbs run hotter.

·
Registered
2015 3.6R Limited w/ES
4,305 Posts
What is the socket surrounding the bulb on the OEM Subaru HIDs made out of? I thought the halogen and HID light fixtures were the same on the Gen 5 Outback. Just that the halogen models didn’t have HIDs installed. Anyone want to take a peek at the OEM fixture and see if it is yellowing or not? Maybe these Morimoto bulbs run hotter.
Not sure about materials of construction, but the stock HID projectors are definitely built for them - no way they're using the same design for halogens. I swapped out my stock capsules last winter for some high end Philips (42402XV2 4800K). The stock capsules had over 3 years on them and were still going strong (kept them for backups). No signs of heat damage or yellowing.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts