Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just finished installing my LEDs replacement for the DRL. I wired them into the cigarette lighter circuit as I wanted them switched with the ignition but always on. Probably hardest part was finding the little release button on the DRL plug. I was ready to yank it out with pliers.

I used side shining LEDS strips from iJDMtoys. Initially I got the wrong product and we will see how they handle the return. The products looked to be pretty good quality and installed easily. The strips were 20" long and did 90 degree turns without a problem.

I wish they were brighter but we will have to wait until the CREE LED elements drop in price. Each CREE LED will put out 200 lumens.

//Rick

Attachments

·
Registered
2011 Subaru Outback Premium 2.5i w/CVT
344 Posts
Looks like a nice installation, and light output looks pretty decent too! I agree about the CREE LEDs - - I think they will work really well in a DRL application; heck, they'll even work well in a head light application and be a better replacement for stock head lights over HIDs. Now, as you said, to wait for the price to come down......

·
Registered
2018 Outback Premium, sold 2003 Subaru Outback 2.5i Wagon Limited
207 Posts
Looks like a throwback to the fluorescent plate surrounds from the 90s :D To each is own I guess...

·
Registered
2013 Legacy Lim CVT Car: 2011 OB Prem 6MT Car: 2006 Miata GT 6MT mc: 2003 Honda GL1800A * Reunite Gondwanaland *
3,567 Posts
That lamp arrangement doesn't look very useful to help oncoming drivers
judge your distance -- or even to identify the light source as a car headed
in their direction. Kinda defeats one of the main reasons for using DRLs.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Looby,

I'm not sure what you mean by gauge distance? Why would these lights be any different than the Audi, Porsche, etc LEDs?

//Rick

·
Registered
2012 OB Prem 6 MT
87 Posts
I think Looby was referring to the rectangular shape formed in your lower grill by the LEDs. The cars you referenced use outboard mounted lights to help other drivers gauge distance to the car. Your LEDs don't do that. being mounted centrally, they make your car look further away then it really is. People these days expect LEDs to be mounted on the outermost edges of the headlights. Or at least the edges of the vehicle.

+1 for originality

·
Registered
"Tank" - 2011 OB 3.6R w/ Nav & Moonroof in Graphite Grey
872 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts