Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Outback of the Month Challenge!
21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
14,469 Posts
If you watch Brucey's video he basically says you can create your own kit cheaper and maybe even better.

In the Gen 6 if I understand correctly they moved the vent opening to just under the height of the gas cap.

Reactions: Lowobsti

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
If you watch Brucey's video he basically says you can create your own kit cheaper and maybe even better.

In the Gen 6 if I understand correctly they moved the vent opening to just under the height of the gas cap.
Yeah! I may go that route.

It’s almost like Subaru knew people would try to wade through water with their Outback’s

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
It's unsettling when you take your ride to a dealer to resolve a problem, the techs can't figure it out, but you can.

And because of the experience & knowledge in this forum, I keep reading and learning about Subarus each time I visit.
This was the extremely frustrating part. They checked the code and then said they have to drain the canister. It will be an hour worth of labour and the issue will be resolved. 15 min after it was done, I try to pump gas and it won’t take so I call them back and he’s like “yeah it will need a new canister” I’m thinking “WHY DIDN’T YOU TELL ME THAT WHEN I WAS THERE TO SAVE AN HOUR OF LABOUR!”

When I asked him if the hour I just paid for will be taken off the time to install the canister he said “unfortunately no since that’s was to diagnose and drain the canister in the hopes it would fix it”

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
14,469 Posts
Even if SOA doesn't do anything about it, I'd call and complain to the number in my signature.

Reactions: The_penguin

·
Registered
2018 Outback Limited 3.6r with CVT
143 Posts
So are you going to go with the LP Adventure bypass or take it back to the dealer and have them fix it ? After reading this thread I am going to plan on just doing the bypass and being done with it.

·
Registered
MY20 Subaru Outback 2.5i SE Premium Lineartronic
53 Posts
So I stupidly drove through a very deep puddle during heavy rain yesterday. I guess the puddle was 12” deep.
Mind me asking how fast you were going? I ask because there's a wide ford near me that I do drive through fairly often. It's not often too deep and I do tend to go steady but occasionally if I've got the kids with me I may step it up a bit :rolleyes:

I'm new to Subaru but tbh I'm a little surprised this is an issue. On all my cars I've always been mindful of the intake and with the Subaru the position of the plugs but this is concerning.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
So are you going to go with the LP Adventure bypass or take it back to the dealer and have them fix it ? After reading this thread I am going to plan on just doing the bypass and being done with it.
Both. I know I need a new canister cause the current one us pooched. As walker said there’s more than just a canister inside of it. So I’ll get my mechanic to do it. Then my neighbour and I will do the LP ourselves.

If I had known about this issue prior, I would have paid the $73 CAD to get it done and over with. As mentioned, I don’t go off-roading at all but if a big puddle presents itself again, I’ll be prepared.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Mind me asking how fast you were going? I ask because there's a wide ford near me that I do drive through fairly often. It's not often too deep and I do tend to go steady but occasionally if I've got the kids with me I may step it up a bit :rolleyes:

I'm new to Subaru but tbh I'm a little surprised this is an issue. On all my cars I've always been mindful of the intake and with the Subaru the position of the plugs but this is concerning.
The speed limit is 50km/h but knowing it was a big puddle, I slowed it to about 40km/h. Enough that the splash was above the windows.

I didn’t have any fears about the transmission or air intake but when I saw the CEL come on, I freaked out. I even said to my that this is what this car was made for. Apparently not.

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
14,469 Posts
At least this didn't happen:

·
Registered
2016 OB 2.5 Limited
9 Posts
Replacing the evap cannister will hopefully take care of everything. My experience:

·
Registered
1 Posts
We've had a lot of rain lately in south Texas and I drove through some water that was a little higher than expected. Or maybe it was just too tempting. A day later and my dash lit up. After checking codes and spending 10 minutes filling my gas tank, I figured it was either the EVAP filter or canister. Took my chances and the cheapest route and made my own relocation kit thanks to YouTube and this group. 2 hours of labor and $40 in parts later and everything was back to normal. No other issues. Now I'm ready to hit the deep water again.😁 Highly recommend relocating the filter before doing anything else.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Replacing the evap cannister will hopefully take care of everything. My experience:

Thank you for the link. This thread was one of the first ones that I read up on when I was sitting in the dealership. I was pretty freaked out when I read it was $900 (I suspect USD and I suspect in 2019) so I’m freaking out thinking it’s a $1500 lesson.

I’m getting it replaced next week by my mechanic. Then the neighbour and I will do the bypass filter.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Also, I found out that turning the gas nozzle upside down while filling will trick the shut off valve when the canister needs replacing. I cannot confirm if it will shut off once filled but I was told you can fill it without filling 1L at a time.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Well my mechanic replaced the evap canister. Total cost was $408 CDN. However the CEL light came back. I called my mechanic and left a message. My neighbour has a scanner and it came back 2 codes: P1449 and P1449 P. Are these both the same and shouldn’t the new canister have fixed it?

21 - 40 of 45 Posts