Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I just purchased an '07 Outback Limited back in September. Everything was great with the car until it cold enough to use the heat. I didn't notice anything while in the car by myself, but while traveling with my fiance she noticed that the vents on her side (passenger side) had cold air coming from them.

Again the car has dual climate controls. I had the temp set at 73 degrees, then set the passenger side thermostat to 85 (the highest setting). It was still cold air, likely directly from outside air.

I am new to this forum and this is my first Subaru. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
2013 2.5i Outback Limited w/ moonroof
227 Posts
I used to own a Jeep and I know this was a very common problem with their dual climate controls. The blend doors were independent (hence dual climate). The hinges on these doors were made of plastic and the motors often snapped the plastic hinge which broke the blend door and only allowed cold air to flow through.

It was often very frustrating to us Jeep owners because the repair cost around $1,500 to fix, and even then the new part was still plastic so it was only a matter of time until it needed to be replaced again (usually within 3-4 years). Mine was replaced twice before I traded it in (once under warranty, once paid by me).

I hope this isn't the same case with Subaru as my new outback has dual climate! :(

Maybe someone more familiar with Subaru history can chime in - good luck!

·
Premium Member
2001 VDC/SC One of a Kind
14,317 Posts
I used to own a Jeep and I know this was a very common problem with their dual climate controls. The blend doors were independent (hence dual climate). The hinges on these doors were made of plastic and the motors often snapped the plastic hinge which broke the blend door and only allowed cold air to flow through.

It was often very frustrating to us Jeep owners because the repair cost around $1,500 to fix, and even then the new part was still plastic so it was only a matter of time until it needed to be replaced again (usually within 3-4 years). Mine was replaced twice before I traded it in (once under warranty, once paid by me).

I hope this isn't the same case with Subaru as my new outback has dual climate! :(

Maybe someone more familiar with Subaru history can chime in - good luck!
If you paid $1500 for the update repair on the Jeep that takes 45 minutes then they ripped you. I have done plenty of those. Its done without removing the instrument panel. Dodge even came up with the faster repair process so it cut down on tech time and the time the vehicles were in the bays.

As for the Subaru, it is most likely the motor is not functioning or there is debris in the way of the door moving. In the case of the air temperature, the AC is on so it can better control the outlet temperature. It blends the cold and hot air to maintain this temperature and therefore runs the AC. The only time it pulls air from outside and is not running the AC is for a quick warm up in the car.

·
Registered
2013 2.5i Outback Limited w/ moonroof
227 Posts
That fix required sawing through the plastic and using foil tape to patch it once done. At the time Dodge wasn't offering that "fix", it came out later on. It was $1,500 because they ripped out the entire dash and replaced the doors.

Anyway glad to see Subaru isn't known for the same type of issue.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts