Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Outback Limited: 16000 miles. Previous: '98 Outback: 160k miles (sold)
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody know if a dual-DIN unit will fit in a '98? The opening in the dash seems to be the right size, and there is a stereo-shaped plastic cubbyhole mounted just below the stereo, attached to the same mounting bracket as the stereo. From looking at it, I am 90% certain that a dual-DIN unit would fit, but I would hate to buy one only to find otherwise.
Crutchfield's database claims that a dual-DIN unit would not fit, but maybe they are saying that only because the factory stereos were not that size.

Thanks,
Doug

·
Registered
Lawn ornament XT
14,368 Posts
I put a single-DIN radio along with a DIN-sized pocket in my '98. It is possible that the double-DIN you looked at is too deep or has some other fitment problem.

7-1/8" width, 4-1/4" height for a double-DIN aperture.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Dual-DIN success!

Well I bought a Kenwood DDX470 double-DIN DVD player/radio. It installed in my '98 with no issues at all, and it works fine. One reason I chose this radio is that I already had the XM satellite radio adapter it uses. It also lets you control the Pandora radio app on an Android phone, via Bluetooth.

Attachments

·
Registered
173 Posts
Thanks for posting a picture (seems rare on this gen) I'm looking at getting a doubble Din this weekend I can't take it driving without the ipod anymore..

It's nice you have bluetooth control with the android I wish android users were given more options.

·
Registered
2012 2.5i Premium
99 Posts
I wish android users were given more options.
Kenwood/JVC (same company) seem to be incorporating more features for Android into their head units than other companies. I just put a Kenwood in my son's truck last week and it works better with my Android phone than with his iPhone.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Crap I forgot.. because I have a aftermarket single DIN in the car now.. wont I need brackets for the double DIN?

My headunit is a pioneer AVH-X2500BT

·
Registered
Lawn ornament XT
14,368 Posts
your car almost certainly already has the right bracket for a double, with a plastic bin or pocket mounted to the lower half of it.

Even if it's only got a bracket on half, there will be enough mount points to make a double work.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Well I changed it but I forgot the last owner or someone cut the side of the bezel that goes around the radio.. It's really bugging me.. I might see if I can get a replacement from Subaru, can't cost more then $30 and I might get the dual power outlet as well.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for posting a picture (seems rare on this gen) I'm looking at getting a doubble Din this weekend I can't take it driving without the ipod anymore..

It's nice you have bluetooth control with the android I wish android users were given more options.
The radio is a Kenwood DDX470, and I am pretty happy with it. One reason I got it is that the car already had a nice XM setup, and my existing XM antenna and receiver module plugged right into the Kenwwod radio. The Bluetooth Pandora feature is nice- I listen to it most of the time now.

Doug

·
Registered
173 Posts
I used to have XM before the merger and I hated it after it was a nice 4 years of it but between my ipod with almost 3,000 songs and Pandora I don't think I will be short on any songs.

When my Legacy got flooded and got to the XM direct box under the passenger seat that was pretty much the last I used it which was 4 years ago.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm planning on doing this in my 98 Limited, and It already has the double radio in it. The double radio is crapping out and i was wondering what type of harness i would need.
Going by what you guys said it sounds like i dont need a bracket because the stock one will work.
I' going to be going with this one Amazon.com: Pioneer FH-X700BT In-Dash Double DIN CD/MP3/USB Car Stereo Receiver w/ Bluetooth, Pandora Link, MIXTRAX & iPod Support: Electronics

Any help would be great

Ive also never had the stock one off so i dont know what it looks like in there, and I dont know what kind of harness I need
This will only have been my second stereo installation and my first one had already had an aftermarket stereo in it so there was already a harness hooked up.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm planning on doing this in my 98 Limited, and It already has the double radio in it. The double radio is crapping out and i was wondering what type of harness i would need.
Going by what you guys said it sounds like i dont need a bracket because the stock one will work.

Any help would be great
Just get the adapter harness for a '98 Subaru. They are inexpensive. You need to splice its wires to the wires of the harness that comes with the radio. Then there will be no need to need to cut any of the car's wires- everything plugs in.

One tip for removing and installing the radio and its mounting bracket: Get a strong magnetic philips-head screwdriver to remove and replace two of the mounting screws, which are recessed a couple of inches. If you drop those screws, they will disappear under the carpet, and you will never see them again.

A double-DIN radio is very handy- you can actually see and read the buttons and the display...

Doug

1 - 14 of 14 Posts