Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,556 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My search for a car for myself was canceled for some time but is now back on due to an inheritance.. (I do have a dilemma since I will be able to 'technically' afford almost anything-I think it is still more prudent to shop for a used vehicle and spend some to mod it - put the rest in the bank.)

Does the stock MYs '99-'01 (GF4 ?) OBS have REAR toe adjustment capability?(if not - who makes a component to achive it?)

Does Eibach (or Whiteline, or ?) make a spring kit KNOWN TO FIT this car? (I'd like less that 1 - 1.25 inches of lowering - no slamming)

that's all I can think of right now.
tia

·
Superb Moderator, ,
MY12 WRX, MY07 FXT
6,186 Posts
I'm not sure about the toe adjustments...But can't you just put 2.5RS springs on the OBS to lower it about an inch? Most lowering spring kits are for the 2.5RS/WRX to begin with, so using one of those kits may work. I don't know the cross referencing for the years of what fits and what doesn't. You know, you can get a MY02 OBS for great prices nowadays, have you thought about that? They are compatable with 98% WRX stuff. And they have the 2.5 liter. Brian

·
Registered
17,556 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, I guess I'd like to avoid the 2.5l, particularly early ones. I just don't need the risk of HG failure. I will never have enough time or money to chase 1/4 times and just want a sharp looking (not ricey) little wagon to drive back and forth to work, mostly on surface streets. I could afford a Forester XT or WRX wagon (even an STi) I kinda like the way the OBS looks and think it would be fun to customize it without worrying about voiding the warranty or the giult of taking off fairly new parts, etc. Plus I wouldn't feel - um - 'reserved' about trying rallyx/autox and screwing something up. I could probably have just as much fun for a little over 1/2-2/3 the cost of a new FXT.

·
Registered
1996 OBS
61 Posts
I'm not 100% on the rear toe adjustability, but I believe there is provision for minor toe adjustments. Most people are more concerned w/ camber adjustment, of which there really isn't any from the factory. There are camber adjsutment bolts available, I believe they run around $45.

As far as the springs go, any that fit the RS should fit the GF wagon. I'm in the process of putting on AGX struts, Prodrive P1 springs and Group N Hardened Strut top mounts. The Prodrive springs are only suppose to lower the car about 25mm, which is a lot less than most. I'll try to take some before and after pictures of my wagon so you can get an idea of how much lower it's going to be.

If you have any questions, let me know.

--Josh

·
Registered
17,556 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
oops - you read my mind! Didn't see this thread till I had responded to the other one - yeah pics would be cool. Also, do you have plans for your old struts? Someone could put Koni yellows in them.

·
Registered
1996 OBS
61 Posts
I was planning on keeping the old ones around if for some ungodly reason I would need some stockers. I tend to be a packrat like that. ;) heh heh

--Josh

1 - 6 of 6 Posts