Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings.

I just bought a 2003 Outback that came with just one key (and the remote keyfob). I took the key to the local hardware store to have a duplicate made, and the guy suggested that the key might have a chip in it, and if I put a duplicate without said chip into my ignition that it might disable the car. I've tried several Google searches and searches of this forum, and can't find any guidance on this.

Question: for a standard 2003 Outback (no security system, I believe), can I just get a regular duplicate key made, or do I have to get a special key with a chip in it from a dealer?

Thanks,
William

·
Registered
16,964 Posts
I use the secondary key with no plastic on it. i DO have a remote lock/security fob.

My key works fine. If the remote fails, I have successfully cycled the key on-off (3 times I think?) and turned off the alarm and started and driven the car.

I think you're OK unless there's some kinda aftermarket security added to the car.

check cars101.com for more security info.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
My 2003 key has no chip in it. If you can figure out the key code, you'll get a better key than just copying the current worn one. Hopefully, dealer can look it up based on VIN number, then cut a new one from the number.

·
Registered
4,074 Posts
I have a 2000, basically the same model as the 2003, and I had a spare key made with no issues. You can find out for sure by calling a local dealer with the VIN or checking a web site that uses the VIN to determine your individual car's features. Also, I imagine a locksmith would be able to tell you based on some simple questions like the year and make. There is one who frequents this site - Lockmedic - I believe. Good luck.

·
Super Moderator
12,108 Posts
Considering I drove to work today with the key I got made at Ace hardware....it has no chip and you're fine.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
About this Discussion
4 Replies
5 Participants
AWDFTW
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing