Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2010 outback. base 2.5
1,969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a June of 09 build bought in Augusts and have had some issues but overall this has been a great car, anybody else with a early car and if so, how is it doing?. With much discussion about the 13's lets hear from some folks who purchased there cars in 09.

·
Registered
2011 Outback Limited 2.5i/2018 Crosstrek limited
4,868 Posts
...you can read all about our early 09 build in the shaker threads...that should tell you everything. As Forest Gump would say, "that is all I have to say about that".

That said, we are now extremely happy with the OB that we now have...don't ask how...why?...NDA.

·
Registered
2010 OBW limited 2.5 CVT
1,602 Posts
Ours was the first '10 purchase posted on this board. The car has had no serious issues. We did have to replace a wheel bearing due to a curbed tire. The swithces on the steering wheel had to be replaced, but other than that no issues. only been oil changes and tire rotations for us. No shakes here. We have seen the auto climate control change modes on its own from time to time. Not sure whats up with that.

·
Registered
2010 outback. base 2.5
1,969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ours was the first '10 purchase posted on this board. The car has had no serious issues. We did have to replace a wheel bearing due to a curbed tire. The swithces on the steering wheel had to be replaced, but other than that no issues. only been oil changes and tire rotations for us. No shakes here. We have seen the auto climate control change modes on its own from time to time. Not sure whats up with that.
Thats great, From reading I don't think the shaking got going until about November time frame if I recall, I did have my CVT replaced due to a front diff leak which Subaru gave me a gold plus for my trouble and the drivers side seat cloth frayed early which was replaced but after the first 15 months the warranty claims calmed down.

·
Registered
258 Posts
My car is a '10 purchased in Jan of '11 but it is an '09 build. I have a small vibration in the wheel but the stock tires the dealer was able to correct it with a road force balance. This set has been to discount tire 5 times and they still can't get it right, the last time was better. I will be taking it to the dealer to see if their machine can get it instead of the morons at my local discount tire that didn't use the proper "cone" on the machine to center the wheel the first 3 times.

Other than I have an annoying rattle from the driver side front wheel area anytime I go over a bump that I have been tracking down with no luck. I find the brakes don't really bite like I like them to, but the car has no problem stopping.

All in all happy with the car, I just chalk it up to as the car has some character and quirks.

I have wondered about the '13's but no one can seem to pin point what was done differently than the previous models for handling/suspension upgrades.

·
Registered
2015 Twilight Blue Legacy Premium
466 Posts
My car is a '10 purchased in Jan of '11 but it is an '09 build. I have a small vibration in the wheel but the stock tires the dealer was able to correct it with a road force balance. This set has been to discount tire 5 times and they still can't get it right, the last time was better. I will be taking it to the dealer to see if their machine can get it instead of the morons at my local discount tire that didn't use the proper "cone" on the machine to center the wheel the first 3 times.

Other than I have an annoying rattle from the driver side front wheel area anytime I go over a bump that I have been tracking down with no luck. I find the brakes don't really bite like I like them to, but the car has no problem stopping.

All in all happy with the car, I just chalk it up to as the car has some character and quirks.

I have wondered about the '13's but no one can seem to pin point what was done differently than the previous models for handling/suspension upgrades.

I had the vibration between 60-65 in my 2011. They did the RFB, switched out the tires, and tried different things after taking it in 5 times. The 5th time they did the suspension TSB which I believe redid alot of the suspension. That was the trick and the car was fine after that.

·
Registered
2010 outback. base 2.5
1,969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

I don't think discount has RFB balancers, and to my understanding most dealers don't because they are very expensive. I think my dealer said his was 30k.

·
Registered
4,868 Posts
I would say that there are HUGE changes. The TSB's for the shake issue alone made a number of changes to the suspension and steering. One change I know that they did make in mid-production was they changed the geometry of the front end links and incorporated the TSB's. There was a post on here somewhere about that at the time because someone noted the change in the part number.

As well, there are probably numerous changes that have been made that we will never know about. Changes were obvioiusly made because the difference handling in our first OB and the one we have now are night and day. SOA knew there was a problem early on and they worked steadily to fix the issue through TSB's and production changes. :29:

You should take a new OB for a good long test drive. I think you will really notice the difference.

·
Registered
2014 2.5i Limited
950 Posts
I have to assume mine was built in 09 sometime based on our Feb. 2010 purchased date. EDIT: build date is 10-09 We have some issue with our car.
1. Driver seat creaking resulting in 1 base frame change and one entire seat frame change to repair.
2. Leaking struts at 35K miles, bith front struts replaced.
3. B-pillar trim keeps falling off and weather strip does not stay fixed to door.
4. Parking brake went south at 40k miles...$600+ to repair. Subaru covered all but $50.

Of course there were many recalls and TSB's for the brakes, clock spring and Reprogram ECM. Just about got out of this car, but my wife talked me down. I have to admit that the car does everything we ask it to do, but in all honesty, it has been more trouble than our last three Dodges. Go figure!?..

·
Registered
2010 outback. base 2.5
1,969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have to say a good set of tires properly balanced and the car aligned along with a RSB upgrade I think the pre 13's are quite good. I have heard the year 13 cars track better in windy conditions? Maybe we can get some feedback on this issue. Even cars without the shaking issues had stability issues in windy conditions

·
Registered
57 Posts
I bought my car in August of '09. I have loved this car from day one until about a month ago. I now have constant brake squeal, annoying road noise over 40, and vibration over 70. I was willing to give the dealer all my money to fix this but they said: there was nothing wrong with the brakes (they applied brake quiet which worked for 1 day) and the noise/vibration were due to cupped tires.

Now I'm having to choose between spending money on new tires which may or may not fix my noise/vibration issue - or just walking away and getting a new car.

·
Registered
2014 2.5i Limited
950 Posts
I bought my car in August of '09. I have loved this car from day one until about a month ago. I now have constant brake squeal, annoying road noise over 40, and vibration over 70. I was willing to give the dealer all my money to fix this but they said: there was nothing wrong with the brakes (they applied brake quiet which worked for 1 day) and the noise/vibration were due to cupped tires.

Now I'm having to choose between spending money on new tires which may or may not fix my noise/vibration issue - or just walking away and getting a new car.
Have you tried to have the car aligned by someone other than the dealer. My car tore through the first set of tires in 22K miles...That's right 22K. I was amazed that I couldn't feel it was out...First car i ever owned that I couldn't. The set of tires on there now has 23K miles and still has half the tread depth left. Too, gotta watch the PSI.

·
Registered
2010 outback. base 2.5
1,969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

From a money standpoint a excellent set of tires($600) is going to be easier on the wallet than a new car. I would put she tires on it and maybe a new set a front pads a cut the rotors and you should be back in business. How many miles on her?

·
Registered
2010 Outback 3.6 Limited
52 Posts
I purchased one of the first 2010 3.6 Limiteds my dealer got in. As a result I probably paid too much for it, but oh well. The car has been reliable so far. We really thought the wind blew it around on the highway a lot (we had German wagons previously) so I immediatley installed the thicker rear sway bar, which improves the issue. We have had some steering wheel shake at interstate speeds. I haven't tried to track down this issue yet. We did the requsite recalls, but other than that there have been no trips to the dealer. We had free maintenance for 2 years, and since then I have been doing all of the required maintenance myself. The car has about 34k on it now, but the mileage should slow down now as my wife is no longer working. The OB is all paid off so I'm looking forward to about 10 years of trouble free ownership, (one reason I didn't go with Audi/VW again!)

·
Registered
4,868 Posts
From a money standpoint a excellent set of tires($600) is going to be easier on the wallet than a new car. I would put she tires on it and maybe a new set a front pads a cut the rotors and you should be back in business. How many miles on her?
...uh huh...that's a no brainer. Your tires are going to wear and when they do the ride is going to get worse. Oh the joy of automobile upkeep! If you don't fix this issue it can lead to ones that will be way worse and way more expensive to fix.

·
Registered
57 Posts
38K. I'll try with the tires (any recommendations?) I would have paid the dealer to do the pads but they said nothing wrong with em? I don't have the time to do them myself. I never had the shakes issue so I never got the TSB work done when under warranty. I love the HK system and with the NAV override mod, I cannot find any other cars on the market that have comparable systems.

·
Registered
2010,2.5 limited black
25 Posts
Purchased our 2010 in Aug.2009.Currently has 31000 miles.Just had the rear brakes replaced(suprised covered under warranty).Upgraded rear sway bar almost immediately.Dealer has done all oil changes and tire rotations.This has been a very good vehicle;may-be the best(of 40 or so )new vehicles that we have purchased.

·
Registered
4,868 Posts
38K. I'll try with the tires (any recommendations?) I would have paid the dealer to do the pads but they said nothing wrong with em? I don't have the time to do them myself. I never had the shakes issue so I never got the TSB work done when under warranty. I love the HK system and with the NAV override mod, I cannot find any other cars on the market that have comparable systems.
There are lots of great premium all season tires out there...I am preferential to the Michelin MXV4 line of tires. Have had them on my TDI since it was new off the lot in '04 (they were the OEM tires that came on it)..I have replaced them every time with the same tire. I now have 246,000 Km on the car. I like them...alot! :29:

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/...s/overview/michelin-primacy-mxv4-99026507.htm

·
Registered
22 Posts
Bought my 2010 in September 2009. Overall verdict acceptable my opinions follow. No mechanical problems with it. Trim piece over the license plate did break off when used to pull on to close the rear hatch. 52,000 miles so far meaning as a Subaru it is now about broken in - looking to get 175,000 if I keep it that long. (Got 192,000 out of my last 1998 Legacy wagon before selling it) Gas milage is now about 28 overall. Like most Subarus it is good in the snow - but I find the backend wants to slide out at low speeds (say10 mph) while cornering on slippery roads. CVT not as good for me as the 1998 4 speed auto. Still not comfortable with the CVT it will whine when the temperature drops below about 30. The windshield glass is soft and pits easily. For me the tinted glass is too dark and I notice that I cannot see colored lights (such as blue lights of a police car) at a distance through the rear glass. Black cloth upholstery has stained in one area and has some scratches in the fabric. Getting new tires and an alignment (not at the dealer) really helped the car to steer better and stay on track - the steering is still subpar in some respects. Steers better towing a boat (about 1,500 lbs or more) than it does without the boat. Drove through an ice/snow storm towing a utility trailer and watched numerous other SUVs and cars spin out as I drove past without any problem. Subaru on!

·
Registered
2.5i 2010 outback, 6 speed mt, silver, black inside
21 Posts
I bout mine october 2009. I have not noticed any real problem with the car. Changed out the original tires at a little over 20,000 because it decided to wear out one tire faster than the others just a bad tire. No Shakes, had the seat fixed, ECU upgrade, no problem with the brakes or the steering slip-ring. Had the same problem with the head lights i hope not to have that now as i have HID on the car, i have an leaking seal on the right rear dif but thats going to be fixed soon. other than that things look good other first year vehicles that i know have had more problems than this car so i think its a good car. oh i forgot about the paint that chips whaiy to easily the front of the car looks like its 10 years old. going to have it repainted soon.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts