Subaru Outback Forums banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
Outback 2016 2.5 Premium
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
A pair of the Diode Dynamics LED replacement bulbs costs $300. They are rated by Diode Dynamics to put out 1,630 lumens.

A pair of Osram branded H9 halogen bulbs costs $30. They put out 2,100 lumens.

While I am pretty sure that the halogen light pattern will be correct for my Outback, whose headlights are designed for halogens, I don't really know if the LED alternative will match the pattern as well as DD claims. Even if they are a good match, the $270 difference is a deal breaker for me.

By the way, I do have lots of Diode Dynamics LEDs in my car, for interior lighting. No question they are brighter than OEM. Their light pattern is also quite obviously different. I got them mainly to avoid draining the battery if they are accidentally left on.

·
Registered
'16 OB - '08 Impreza - '85 FJ60
132 Posts
A pair of the Diode Dynamics LED replacement bulbs costs $300. They are rated by Diode Dynamics to put out 1,630 lumens.

Wow... learn something new today.....

·
Registered
Outback 2016 2.5 Premium
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Well, I'm only a day or two ahead of you, manucha0, doing the research as I go. Daniel Stern (see above) was very helpful in this. He's the real expert, and he didn't even have anything to sell me.

·
Registered
05 OBXT & 16 Crosstrek
655 Posts
I read that whole article. They make a convincing case for not doing an HID conversion. OK fine, but the correct solution is barely discussed. They briefly mention the need for an entire HID headlamp that is specifically built for HID. OK fine, so let’s talk more about that. What is the cost? Is it even possible? What exactly needs to be done? Etc...
You can do a retrofit of your stock headlight housings. It entails opening your headlights and replacing the projector. TRS will sell a complete kit that gives you everything you need. They run about $300-500 depending on options and vehicle. I’ve retrofitted two Subaru’s with their kits and they are amazing. The only reason I didn't retrofit my current cars is one is a lease and the other came with steering responsive LEDs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2018 Outback 2.5i Limited, No Eyesight, No Navigation
2,387 Posts
Why not just swap them out with some Diode Dynamics LED's and be done with it? They crush the original bulbs and are plug and play.
My understanding...

-- An LED-specific reflector is needed to do it right.

-- Proper LED conversion is a lot more expensive, compared to swapping for H9 halogen bulbs, which are good enough apparently.

-- LED lights run so cool that they will not melt snow. In wet and heavy snow, be prepared to stop car occasionally and clear off the headlights. However, H9 halogen runs hot and will melt snow even better than H11 halogen.

·
Registered
Outback 2016 2.5 Premium
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
-LED lights run so cool that they will not melt snow. In heavy snow, be prepared to stop car occasionally and clear off the headlights.
Very good point, Jake. It's certainly an issue where I live, in the mountains of north central Washington.

·
Registered
16 outback, 18 crosstrek, 05 wrangler, 81 corvette, 74 TR6
57 Posts
does anyone have a link to the best h9 and conversion plug for a 2016 2.5 premium?

·
Registered
Outback 2016 2.5 Premium
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
does anyone have a link to the best h9 and conversion plug for a 2016 2.5 premium?
In his email to me, Daniel Stern recommended an Osram/Sylvania H9 repackaged bulb.
I found the same Osram bulb for a buck cheaper, also on Amazon, here: Osram brand original packaging. This is what I have ordered for my 2016 2.5i Premium.

He also said: "You may need to shave a small ridge of plastic off the H9 bulb's connector so that the H11 socket will snap on. Other than that, it's a direct swap."

Randy

·
Registered
2017 Subaru Legacy Sport
44 Posts

Even if they are a good match, the $270 difference is a deal breaker for me.
The DD LED bulbs are typically $75 per bulb and often go on sale for $120 for a pair. So they are in fact more expensive, but $120 (or $150), not $300.

They also have a nice 3 year warranty and should in general last longer than the H9 bulbs, which has some value. Mine did require reaming the headlights which was a 5 minute task at most.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Thanks, the first link says it is for high beam, the second one does not mention high or low. I would be looking for the low beam?

I am also going to get h11 extension plugs just to avert the possible heat damage to the stock socket. I know there is debate on this but for $6 it is cheap insurance.

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
Thanks, the first link says it is for high beam, the second one does not mention high or low. I would be looking for the low beam?

I am also going to get h11 extension plugs just to avert the possible heat damage to the stock socket. I know there is debate on this but for $6 it is cheap insurance.
Both are H9 bulbs. Some cars use those for high beams, sure... the title of the product on amazon there doesn't matter. both are H9 bulbs.

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
Is actually replacing the bulb a big job on the 2018 OB 2.5? I want to know everything I need. I hate starting a job and then needing to go buy more tools.

·
Registered
10 Posts
the OP originally asked about a direct replacement bulb for no modification and also a bulb that doesn't decrease lifetime, so I'm not sure why people are suggesting LED and HID conversion.
Phillips makes two H11's that are a step up from OEM, the first (Vision Plus), which I have costs about $25-30 a pair and I have 65,000 miles on mine and still going, the second (X-tremeVision) is about $40-455 a little brighter but also a little less lifetime rating than what I have
these bulbs are not as bright as SliverStar,which I have also used, but the Phillips last much longer
so you do have many options depending on whether you lean towards brightness or lifetime without going to a bulb other than H11
BTW, the H9 bulb is 5W more then the high beam bulb on the Outback

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
OK, I know what I am going to do now. I have delayed upgrading my lights, because my head was swimming with all the options and various issues.

For my needs, I will be getting the OSRAM H9 halogen. Also, I will get the 6” extension, and I will modify the extension. At first I did not understand the purpose of the extension, because it is difficult to conceptualize everything when I have not actually seen and touched everything. But I finally understand how simple this is.

I am passing on the HID and LED conversions because they are unnecessary for me. The H11 halogen are already good enough for me. But I figure, why not make things better if it does not cost much? The H9 halogen is that solution. Plus, I have read numerous stories about traffic lights and LED headlights being problematic because they do not melt snow. If I pay a bunch for a proper LED conversion (with the proper reflector), I don’t want that issue hovering over my head.

·
Registered
57 Posts
OK, I know what I am going to do now. I have delayed upgrading my lights, because my head was swimming with all the options and various issues.

For my needs, I will be getting the OSRAM H9 halogen. Also, I will get the 6” extension, and I will modify the extension. At first I did not understand the purpose of the extension, because it is difficult to conceptualize everything when I have not actually seen and touched everything. But I finally understand how simple this is.

I am passing on the HID or LED conversions because they are unnecessary for me. The H11 halogen are already good enough for. But I figure, why not make things better if it does not cost much? The H9 halogen is that solution. Plus, I have read numerous stories about LED headlights and traffic lights being problematic when they do not melt snow. If I pay a bunch for a proper LED conversion, I don’t want that possibility lingering in the background.
Me too, I just ordered the extensions and the Philips H9 for $20, be here tomorrow. I will stash the OEM in the car as a backup.

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
Me too, I just ordered the extensions and the Philips H9 for $20, be here tomorrow. I will stash the OEM in the car as a backup.
Did you make the replacement yet?

21 - 38 of 38 Posts