Subaru Outback Forums banner

41 - 59 of 59 Posts

·
Premium Member
2016 Tungsten Outback 2.5l Premium w/ES, OP 14, PP #4
472 Posts
I've had success prolonging connector integrity by putting a small dab of dielectric grease on the pins. I'd wonder if @kcy 's issue was a faulty connection in the connector itself resulting in poor contact

·
Registered
Outback 2016 2.5 Premium
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
I got the Osram H9 but couldn't figure out how to cut the tab out. So I got the extension wiring harness here. I couldn't figure out how to cut the tab out in the harness, either. But instead I put an extra notch in the harness at the other end. (See photo below.)This worked fine. I haven't had much night driving yet so I don't know about any melting problem. I do really like the extra brightness.

In retrospect, I would say that if I could have figured out how to cut the tabs in the new H9 bulbs, I really wouldn't have needed the harness extension at all. My Outback 2016 Premium wiring is long enough.

·
Registered
271 Posts
using brighter halogens typically results in shorter life. Most of the energy used by halogen is wasted as heat. also using higher wattage bulbs my toast the OEM housings.....

·
Registered
2016 Outback Premium 2.5 CVT w/EyeSight+SRVD
6,539 Posts
Most of the energy used by halogen is wasted as heat. also using higher wattage bulbs my toast the OEM housings.....
Going from a 55 Watt H11 to a 65 Watt H9 does indeed result in an ~18% increase in heat load. That's not been a problem, in my experience.

·
Registered
2016 Outback Premium 2.5 CVT w/EyeSight+SRVD
6,539 Posts
I used these extensions and one melted after 1 hour of use.
That is likely a defective harness, a result of the connector pins being poorly crimped onto the wires. Or it could have been a poor connection between the lamp and the harness connector.

·
Registered
2018 Outback 2.5i Limited, No Eyesight, No Navigation
2,478 Posts
That is likely a defective harness, a result of the connector pins being poorly crimped onto the wires. Or it could have been a poor connection between the lamp and the harness connector.
Another possibility is a poorly cut notch that caused the connection to be partially seated.

·
Registered
Outback 2016 2.5 Premium
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Another possibility is a poorly cut notch that caused the connection to be partially seated.
I think that is less likely that a bad connector. I found it was difficult enough jut to join the bulb and connector and the Subaru harness with the extension one because the connectors are so tight and have little clips that snap when they are joined. You (probably) wouldn't get that snap closure if a connection were properly seated.

·
Registered
2015 OB , Premium
61 Posts
I'm a little late to the thread, but after doing way too much research, I just ordered two Philips H9 (low beam) lamps and two 9011lamps (high beam) for the OB last night.

Wife refuses to drive the OB at night because the lights are too dim.

Here's what I don't get ..... her 2010 LGT has the best (low beam) headlights I have driven with to date. They are halogen projectors also, in a very similar housing, using an H7 lamp, which has a similar rating to the H11.

How did Subaru manage to go so far backwards in headlight engineering? Like severely, dangerously backwards.
My 69 Bronco with the old style round sealed beam headlights does better.
Seriously Subaru???

·
Registered
Outback 2016 2.5 Premium
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
What is weird, HoosierDaddy2, is that the lights on my wife's 2015 Forester work so much better than on my Outback. She doesn't need to upgrade from HX11 to HX9.

Why couldn't Subaru have made an equally good housing for the Outback? I could ask a similar, rhetorical question in reverse about the speedometers. The one in the Forester is red on black, readable at night but not during daylight, especially if wearing sunglasses. In the Outback, the speedo is quite readable, plus there is also a large digital display for the speed.

I have to think that the designers don't actually drive the cars, or maybe they don't drive at all.

·
Registered
'19 Outback Premium; EcoHitch, 19mm RSB, & Orsini vinyl design (see avatar)
56 Posts
I've had success prolonging connector integrity by putting a small dab of dielectric grease on the pins. I'd wonder if @kcy 's issue was a faulty connection in the connector itself resulting in poor contact
Got me on that one. I usually do use dielectric but didn't here. I will when the current H9s burn out.

I got the Osram H9 but couldn't figure out how to cut the tab out. So I got the extension wiring harness here. I couldn't figure out how to cut the tab out in the harness, either. But instead I put an extra notch in the harness at the other end. (See photo below.)...
In retrospect, I would say that if I could have figured out how to cut the tabs in the new H9 bulbs, I really wouldn't have needed the harness extension at all...

View attachment 477187
-That's the same Amazon page I bought from.
-I cut my connector the same way.
-When the extension failed I bought a small, cheapie, Dollar store flat blade screwdriver, filed it sharp, torched it good n hot, then just chiseled / dug out the tab in the socket of a new bulb.
-Modified both bulb sockets and plugged directly into factory harness.

... the connectors are so tight and have little clips that snap when they are joined....
Yep, I made sure to fully seat & snap secure. I think it was faulty wire or contact inside the extension's connector.

Something I found interesting & weird is @jakemccoy's ebay link is iJDMTOY, the same as the Amazon seller I linked. ebay page shows 99.5% positive reviews, while Amazon's customer reviews have a full 20% 1-star & another 3% 2-stars.

·
Registered
59 Posts
How did Subaru manage to go so far backwards in headlight engineering? Like severely, dangerously backwards.
My 69 Bronco with the old style round sealed beam headlights does better.
Seriously Subaru???
IMO, it is because they abruptly cut off the height of the beam too low, what is illuminated is fine, but they do not illuminate down the road far enough

how do I know this? because I hauled a bunch of wood which caused the back end of the car to sink, which of course aims the beams higher

the one time my stock headlights were perfectly fine

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
I have to think that the designers don't actually drive the cars, or maybe they don't drive at all.
Oh wow, that is a great point. Lots of people in Japan do not drive. I lived there for awhile.

·
Registered
2018 Outback Premium 2.5
52 Posts
Engineer"looks good on paper".
Field guy "you need to make an adjustment"
Engineer" nope, should be fine, we leave it".

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
Something I found interesting & weird is @jakemccoy's ebay link is iJDMTOY, the same as the Amazon seller I linked. ebay page shows 99.5% positive reviews, while Amazon's customer reviews have a full 20% 1-star & another 3% 2-stars.
Many possible reasons...

-They might be completely different sellers and slightly different products.
-The ratings on Amazon are pure product reviews.
-The 99.5% rating on Ebay is a seller review over many different products.

HOWEVER, this particular product on Ebay does have over 1,000 feedback comments. They are basically all positive. On little stuff like this, I typically buy off Ebay because a high-rated seller is going to make sure there is nothing wrong with their products. The seller rating is highly important to them.

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
IMO, it is because they abruptly cut off the height of the beam too low, what is illuminated is fine, but they do not illuminate down the road far enough

how do I know this? because I hauled a bunch of wood which caused the back end of the car to sink, which of course aims the beams higher

the one time my stock headlights were perfectly fine
The cutoff on my Outback is fine. When I need to see farther, I use my high beams. Any upward spill is going into oncoming traffic. That is not an offensive stance I want because lights in their faces directly affect my safety. There are lots of cars on the road today with low beams that are too bright and too high. The light goes straight into my eyes from far away and bothers me. Meanwhile, my vision is tested as better than 20/20. Just think about drivers who have worse vision, are new, or are elderly.

·
Registered
'19 Outback Premium; EcoHitch, 19mm RSB, & Orsini vinyl design (see avatar)
56 Posts
Many possible reasons...
-They might be completely different sellers and slightly different products.
Nah...as mentioned, same seller: ebay = iJDMTOY and Amazon = iJDMTOY
-The ratings on Amazon are pure product reviews.
-The 99.5% rating on Ebay is a seller review over many different products.
Excellent distinction.
The thought of slightly different products occurred to me but I dismissed it. Maybe I shouldn't have. For me it's a more streamlined purchase through Amazon. Maybe I'll try the product again but via ebay instead.

·
Registered
Outback 2016 2.5 Premium
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
When you read product reviews on either site (Amazon or eBay), it becomes obvious that the "same" product may vary almost from day to day.

The sellers are very rarely the manufacturers. They are buying either from wholesalers or contracting with factories in mostly Asian countries. From one shipment to the next, your Amazon or eBay seller may switch suppliers as prices changes. They have the same specs on paper, but they really are not a consistent product.

This isn't just for tech products. I have been buying the exact same Gold Toe socks for years. Now when I do a wash, I have to line up all the grey socks and match them by length. They vary by an inch or two, from year to year.

·
Registered
2015 OB , Premium
61 Posts
re-aim your headlights, seems to be a lot are aimed too low from the get go..
With factory lamps and the aim as I recieved it (bought used), I was getting flashed occasionally, which I figured meant the aim was way too high and over shot the area I needed to light up...just guessing, either way , the low beam performance was poor. VERY POOR....yet I still got flashed.

I read the adjustment procedure and checked them against the garage door, they were a bit high, i dialed them down to the suggested settings.
Perfomance was still poor, but was better...... tweaked them a bit here or there, and had them the best I could get them, which was still dangerously poor....IMHO
Compared to wifes 2010 LGT, bone freaking stock, I might as well have just used the DRL's. Wife prefers to drive the OB everywhere, as long as it is daylight, she refused to drive it at night, that's how lousy the lights were, and I don't blame her, considereing what her car does at night.

I've been driving it for a week+ now after having done the H9 and 2011 swap. VERY much improved, no flashes from oncoming either .... my morning commute is 100% dark still , this time of year, fyi. They're not up to the caliber of the LGT, but they are far from a liability anymore.

I was surprised that the (standard) Philips H9 and 2011's were less yellow than the stock H11/2005 combo. I'd say it was a clearer or whiter light, noticeably so.
Wife hasn't driven it at night yet, but as a passenger she noticed the headlights were much improved before we even got out of the subdivision.

41 - 59 of 59 Posts