Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Our 4th of July contest is live! Enter HERE for your chance to win a $400 Walmart gift card.
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trying to install an emergency radio in the glove box. Whats the easiest way to get from the battery to the glove box without having tons of exposed wire? I know about the spot above the brake pedal but I think I would need a jack to get under there. There are two rubber plugs at the top of the air filter box. Would either of those work?

·
Registered
1999 30th Anniversary Legacy Outback DOHC 2.5L 4EAT, 2008 Impreza WRX 2.5L 5MT, 2008 Impreza Wagon 2.5L 4EAT
1,224 Posts
Would it be easier to go to the fuse box to find a hot source of 12V?

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
26,851 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Would it be easier to go to the fuse box to find a hot source of 12V?
If I understand you correctly, I tried pulling up the fuse box in the engine bay but the wires were too short to really get a look underneath (maybe I didn't pull hard enough?). However, that still doesn't solve the problem of getting thru the firewall. Also the installation manual (altho old) says to wire directly to the battery due to the high power draw.

·
Registered
Onyx, 2008 LL Bean 3.0R and 2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
4,111 Posts
There is a diamond shaped rubber "plug" about 2.5" wide in the firewall on the driver's side. You can remove that, cut a small hole in it and pass the wire through there then reinstall it. It is easier to feed the wire if you remove the plug first. It comes into the car just above the gas pedal. I used it to run power to my subwoofer on my old Gen 2. Then run the wire behind the center of the dash and into the back of the glove box. You will have to disassemble some interior panels, but it sounds like you are up to that, and there are directions on this site on how to do that as well.

·
Registered
1999 30th Anniversary Legacy Outback DOHC 2.5L 4EAT, 2008 Impreza WRX 2.5L 5MT, 2008 Impreza Wagon 2.5L 4EAT
1,224 Posts
If I understand you correctly, I tried pulling up the fuse box in the engine bay but the wires were too short to really get a look underneath (maybe I didn't pull hard enough?). However, that still doesn't solve the problem of getting thru the firewall. Also the installation manual (altho old) says to wire directly to the battery due to the high power draw.
I was thinking of the fuse box in the cabin below the drivers knee?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
There is a diamond shaped rubber "plug" about 2.5" wide in the firewall on the driver's side. You can remove that, cut a small hole in it and pass the wire through there then reinstall it. It is easier to feed the wire if you remove the plug first. It comes into the car just above the gas pedal. I used it to run power to my subwoofer on my old Gen 2. Then run the wire behind the center of the dash and into the back of the glove box. You will have to disassemble some interior panels, but it sounds like you are up to that, and there are directions on this site on how to do that as well.
Oh is that the one everyone mentions? I thought it was below the brake cylinder which is why I didn't think I could get to it without a jack. Thanks!

·
Registered
Subaru Legacy BH 2.0 LPG manual (more than 342'000 miles)
11 Posts
The easiest way is to go through the hole that is next to the brake booster. There is a round rubber plug, that leads to the pedals.
You do not have to disassemble anything, because it is accessible from inside and outside without a problem.

·
Premium Member
2018 Outback Limited 2.5i, "Wanderlust II"
372 Posts
The easiest way is to go through the hole that is next to the brake booster. There is a round rubber plug, that leads to the pedals.
You do not have to disassemble anything, because it is accessible from inside and outside without a problem.
Yep; that's the grommet I used to get the battery hot wires for my roof lights & subwoofer amp into the cabin. Easy-peasy.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts