Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys!

I'd like to add an "easy" 20hp on my 2011 outback 2.5 with cvt. Any of you have an idea of what I could do, what parts and where I can get them? I don't wanna change the exhaust but I was more thinking of an ecu mod...

Thanks!

·
Registered
Lawn ornament XT
14,366 Posts
Find a tuner who will take it on... Lots of people out there tune Subaru ECUs though its rare to find one who will work on a non-turbo car.

After that its easy- pay the money, sign the waiver and off you go.

If you have a lot of time and some computer skills there is open source software to DIY. I wouldn't suggest it if you haven't tuned a car before though.

·
Registered
2015 Subaru Outback 2.5 Limited Eyesight Lapis Blue Pearl
71 Posts
I'd be curious as to how the CVT would hold up to that. For the 250hp turbo Subaru created a high torque CVT...

·
Registered
05 OBXT 5eat stg1.2
2,105 Posts
Hey guys!

I'd like to add an "easy" 20hp on my 2011 outback 2.5 with cvt. Any of you have an idea of what I could do, what parts and where I can get them? I don't wanna change the exhaust but I was more thinking of an ecu mod...

Thanks!
Easy 20hp and 2.5i is a contradiction. It won't be easy or cheap.

·
I simply cannot abide useless people.
2006 2.5i and 2002 3.0 wagons.
12,306 Posts
Hey guys!

Thanks!
Nope. Just nope.

·
Registered
2013 Legacy Lim CVT Car: 2011 OB Prem 6MT Car: 2006 Miata GT 6MT mc: 2003 Honda GL1800A * Reunite Gondwanaland *
3,567 Posts

Spinnaker and tail wind?

·
Registered
'11 outback 2.5i premium '12 impreza sport limited
3,822 Posts
good luck. if u want more power from that engine, try a raptor supercharger kit, let us know how long the CVT lasts Raptor Superchargers

·
Registered
Lawn ornament XT
14,366 Posts
remove approx. 200 lbs from the car.
This might well be the most realistic suggestion so far. Replacing the spare tire, jack, lug wrench etc with a AAA card is a great start. That's got to be 40lbs or so right there. If you stripped out all the trim and upholstery from the cargo area, you might get another 15-20. Lose the back seats altogether and keep the fuel tank down to half and you might hit those numbers.

The aftermarket has focused its attention on the turbo version of this engine, so there isn't much out there in packaged form.

Watch out for the generic crap- there are shady sites selling "chips" for Subarus. Subarus don't use chips. They have their own chips. You can re-write the fueling tables embedded in the Subaru's chip. The as-seen-on-tv chip is usually just a resistor to fake out the intake air temperature and make it appear to be a few degrees colder. This can give a slight performance boost, but it's bad because the engine management will eventually have a problem with this false data.

·
Registered
2007 Outback XT Ltd
847 Posts
I'd be curious as to how the CVT would hold up to that. For the 250hp turbo Subaru created a high torque CVT...
Since when has the turbo engine been hooked up to a CVT? Never in an Outback XT (manual and slushbox trannies), and never in a WRX (manual only)..... what is left? Did the Legacy GT 2.5 turbo have a CVT option?

John Davies
Spokane WA USA

·
Registered
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,627 Posts
This might well be the most realistic suggestion so far. Replacing the spare tire, jack, lug wrench etc with a AAA card is a great start. That's got to be 40lbs or so right there. If you stripped out all the trim and upholstery from the cargo area, you might get another 15-20. Lose the back seats altogether and keep the fuel tank down to half and you might hit those numbers.

The aftermarket has focused its attention on the turbo version of this engine, so there isn't much out there in packaged form.

Watch out for the generic crap- there are shady sites selling "chips" for Subarus. Subarus don't use chips. They have their own chips. You can re-write the fueling tables embedded in the Subaru's chip. The as-seen-on-tv chip is usually just a resistor to fake out the intake air temperature and make it appear to be a few degrees colder. This can give a slight performance boost, but it's bad because the engine management will eventually have a problem with this false data.
If he could get lighter wheels, reduced rotational mass is an even greater boost.

although it depends on the mass of the car as a percentage (I think) most normal sized cars will respond to the reduction of 9-13 lbs or so the same as if 1 hp were added. There are on-line hp calculators where you can plug in some numbers and play around with reducing the weight to see the performance increase.

·
Registered
2013 Outback 2.5 Premium
515 Posts
When I'm not going on a hiway trip, I'll only fill my tank up about half way. Why carry around aprx. 70 lbs. more than I need?

Was wondering how much horsepower gain can be had to reprogram the engine to run on premium gas only?

·
Registered
'14 3.6R Outback
2,345 Posts
Since when has the turbo engine been hooked up to a CVT? Never in an Outback XT (manual and slushbox trannies), and never in a WRX (manual only)..... what is left? Did the Legacy GT 2.5 turbo have a CVT option?

John Davies
Spokane WA USA
2014 Subaru Forester includes direct-injection turbo

No, it's not actually for sale yet.

Then there is 2013 Subaru Legacy Gets 296 HP Turbocharged 4-Cylinder | AutoGuide.com News
which is not avalible in america.

WRX rumor...
http://blog.caranddriver.com/turbo-...ebuts-in-japanese-legacy-will-power-next-wrx/

But then, you were not specific then were you. ;-)

·
Registered
'14 3.6R Outback
2,345 Posts
When I'm not going on a hiway trip, I'll only fill my tank up about half way. Why carry around aprx. 70 lbs. more than I need?

Was wondering how much horsepower gain can be had to reprogram the engine to run on premium gas only?
Actually the computer can make those adjustments for premium automatically. I'm doing an informal test right now...

·
Registered
1993 Legacy LSi with still functioning Air Suspension, 1999 Outback 2.5L 5MT lab Rat
191 Posts
The easiest way to upgrade is Trade up to an older OBXT

·
Registered
DIY-Turbo 2.2l OBS 12.89s 1/4mile @ 106.17MPH
399 Posts
K&N Drop in air filter
LW Crank pulley
Redline 75/90 in the diffs (? if the CVT's have gear oil in the front diff like the 4eats do)
Synthetic oil in the engine (which should be there anyany)

The above should net a few hp cheaply.

You can net a few more HP with LW wheels/tires but it will not be cheap.

EL header / exhaust nets about 15whp on older ej25 n/a's (1996-2003/2004) with the old "Y" pipe, but you should already have OEM catted el-headers on your car.

Here is a link with dyno runs for nay-sayers:
http://www.rs25.com/forums/f5/t48917-obx-vs-mrt-header-dyno-results.html

·
Registered
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,627 Posts
If you have a smart phone, you can download some apps and do your own before/after runs as you add mods. Torque is a popular app that might work for some folks.

Premium fuel will usually not help a car designed for regular. If you increase compression with skinned heads, a turbo or s'charger or maybe different rod or piston, then higher octane and a tune/altered ignition timing, begins to be a requirement.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts