Subaru Outback Forums banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Nah man, don't edit anything, "click-bait" totally a joke boss. just adding more data points here, not discounting anything.

Temp guns need to be more commonly the first step, anyone can do it! I only added additional comments for future readers, not to critique the post.

The temperature method is awesome and works often - but it doesn't have 100% efficacy. Getting technical with friction/heat is fun to me and I would bore the !()(%*!% out of almost anyone traveling that rabbit hole because I like data and statistics and rates and mechanical systems to a fault. But it's more complicated than that, since some don't show overheating, and future readers who might not be mechanically inclined would probably be better off knowing that to avoid a possible false negative.
I get you man, and I appreciate your comments, all it can do is help others in the future!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Good grief! Good condition, that's impressive. I pretty much expect every sway bar to need cut or torched and call it lucky if I'm wrong.
Yeah i was surprised at how smoothly it went! But i did need to change the sway bar links at the same time since those hex socket ends stripped...Other than that the other 6 bolts didn't even need to be sprayed!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
What was your method of removing the seized hub?
I used a 4 pound hammer and kept hitting the hub.

You can see where it started to fold in on itself...This was about half way through it looked much worse but i didn't take a picture of it yet, still have it though haha. If i were to do it again I would have gotten a hub puller or that bar that i posted above as this took about 3 hours of hitting for me. To make it better I have to do all my work in a Walmart Parking lot since i can't do any work at my apartment :rolleyes:

When i put it all together i took a blade to the inside of the hub mating surface and covered both sides and the four bolts in Anti-Seize so if i needed to do this again in the future i'd have a better chance.

Going on was easy as i walked the hub assembly on with the four bolts in a star pattern.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I'll be using the Hub Shocker that you linked to. I got it off of Amazon already, I think it'll be worth the $100. YouTube videos of same are promising.

I like how you used the scissor-jack under the control arm to take the load/shock off of the suspension system.

Question; do you think a bottle-jack (with a small piece of wood maybe) would work just as well to absorb the shock of hammering ? If you had both a bottle-jack and a scissor-jack, which one do you think you'd prefer best?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I'll be using the Hub Shocker that you linked to. I got it off of Amazon already, I think it'll be worth the $100. YouTube videos of same are promising.

I like how you used the scissor-jack under the control arm to take the load/shock off of the suspension system.

Question; do you think a bottle-jack (with a small piece of wood maybe) would work just as well to absorb the shock of hammering ? If you had both a bottle-jack and a scissor-jack, which one do you think you'd prefer best?

Oh let me know how that works for you! I am wanting to get one if i need to do another one.

I'd say both jack styles would work, any way you can hold it will greatly improve the effectiveness of the hammer hits. That's one thing that I've found missing from all the videos and tutorials I've found online. If i were to choose I'd go with the scissor style since it is a mechanical hold as opposed to a hydraulic hold.

·
Registered
4,441 Posts
Hey Guys...I recently replaced my wheel bearing and after not knowing which was bad I decided to go with some science instead!

Hopefully this will help anyone else out with a similar issue.

Background:
I've had a bad wheel bearing for the past 5 months and the sounds finally got to be too much. I tired the typical grab the wire and shake it and after trying each wheel twice i have has no luck.
Calling the dealer they said they run it on the lift and listen to each hub with a stethoscope...really??

Well being an engineer I knew that the sound was coming from the friction of the poor wheel bearing...friction develops heat.

So one day after my 60 mile commute home i took out instantly my infrared thermometer and shot each hub.
See below:

View attachment 470147
Three wheels were around 122 Deg F - So That's normal

View attachment 470148
153 deg F...hmmm okay i think i found it!

Replaced it
View attachment 470150
man what a pain

View attachment 470151
new!

And best of all the noises are gone! it feels nice to drive a silent car again!!

Anyway hope this is helpful for you guys!
Hey...that’s pretty darn slick....I’ll have to try that too...in the 9 years I’ve been driving the 4th Gen.....I’ve replaced all for corner bearings

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Definitely a +1 on the hub shocker tool. My son did mine at his work and he hit the hub several times with a 4 lb hammer and no joy. Put the tool on and one hit with a 10 lb sledge and it was off!

Don't buy anything from www.tocber.com as it is a scam website. Seems a common scam these days is to have a website that sells stuff under the market rate. You buy it, they get the money from PayPal and then send you a stolen UPS delivery confirmation for somebody else as proof to PayPal that they delivered the item then PayPal closes your complaint and you have no recourse. UPS won't send you any documentation or tell you where the delivery confirmation was delivered.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Definitely a +1 on the hub shocker tool. My son did mine at his work and he hit the hub several times with a 4 lb hammer and no joy. Put the tool on and one hit with a 10 lb sledge and it was off!

Don't buy anything from www.tocber.com as it is a scam website. Seems a common scam these days is to have a website that sells stuff under the market rate. You buy it, they get the money from PayPal and then send you a stolen UPS delivery confirmation for somebody else as proof to PayPal that they delivered the item then PayPal closes your complaint and you have no recourse. UPS won't send you any documentation or tell you where the delivery confirmation was delivered.
Oh that's good to know about www.tocber.com thanks! Well that settles it then since a lot of people have success with the shocker tool I will pick one up the next time i need to do a wheel bearing :)

21 - 28 of 28 Posts