Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Outback Wagon 3.0 L.L. Bean
923 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I used Centric rotors on my old Legacy and they worked great. The price is reasonable, about the same as Centric. The black Geomet coating sounds promising. EBC claims a lifetime warranty against corrosion. Why not try them. These are nice looking, for now.

·
Premium Member
2005 3.0 R n totaled
7,528 Posts
I had cruise control issues with aftermarket non-OEM rotors (installed by previous owner) on my 05 LLBeaner. I had to replace them with OEMs in order for cruise control to work properly.
Just a caution...

·
Registered
923 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had cruise control issues with aftermarket non-OEM rotors (installed by previous owner) on my 05 LLBeaner. I had to replace them with OEMs in order for cruise control to work properly.
Just a caution...
Seems odd. Our rotors have no tone ring. I'll include that detail after I test drive.

·
Registered
923 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Installed them. They are loud for the first few miles. The coating must be worn away. After the coating on the pad area is worn clean they are fine. No noise and smooth action.

EDIT: 1 week later no issues

·
Master Caster
2005 XT, Mildly Modified...2006 XT Limited, Highly Modifed
16,151 Posts
Seems odd. Our rotors have no tone ring. I'll include that detail after I test drive.
The sensor is in the trailing arm/rear knuckle and it reads off the hub unit.

BTW, I see you have the WhiteLine rear bar. Are you going to reinforce that sway bar bracket?

This is one of mine with my WL bar (powdercoated blue)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/173012094816?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1558.l2649

And if you hate the tiny WL bushings (like I do) I have options for those also, which are pictured on my car above.

·
Registered
923 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
@traildogck
I've seen your brackets. I like the fact that they don't render the isolation bushings pointless by having the attaching points above and below tied together. Have you considered releasing a limited edition painted Orange as a goof?
They're on the wish list but I must take care of my midpipe/resonator next. Leaking at the "Y".

·
Master Caster
2005 XT, Mildly Modified...2006 XT Limited, Highly Modifed
16,151 Posts
@traildogck
I've seen your brackets. I like the fact that they don't render the isolation bushings pointless by having the attaching points above and below tied together. Have you considered releasing a limited edition painted Orange as a goof?
They're on the wish list but I must take care of my midpipe/resonator next. Leaking at the "Y".
I am happy you get it. I know someone who is going to solid mounts an their subframe and then...the AVO are fine. But that's more of a pure track application anyway.

I actually made 2 sets of AVO orange, they sold pretty quick. Most of my brackets these days are painted on demand per request. I do make the AVO bar bushing kits in AVO orange, just like the retro-throwback yellow I have for my WL bar. They all used to be yellow before they changed to the greaseless in black.

·
Registered
923 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just a caution...
Cruise works.

·
Registered
923 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It's been 6 months and rotors perform as new and still look sharp. I'm not using EBC pads. I'm using Akebono.

·
Registered
923 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
After 1 Northern Virginia Winter the coating isn't holding up too well.

·
Premium Member
155 Posts
Installed them. They are loud for the first few miles. The coating must be worn away. After the coating on the pad area is worn clean they are fine. No noise and smooth action.

EDIT: 1 week later no issues

Clean the coating off with brake cleaner spray before you mount them.

·
Registered
107 Posts
It's been 6 months and rotors perform as new and still look sharp. I'm not using EBC pads. I'm using Akebono.
How have the Akebono pads been? I have front and rear EBC drilled/slotted rotors and front greenstuff pads. Can't find any EBC green pads for the rear. Going to need a different pad.

·
Registered
923 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I always use Akebono pads. No noise, little dust. They are very easy to modulate.

·
Registered
923 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Another year later.

The coating durability on EBC rotors isn't impressive. I'm on my 2nd set of Akebonos and had rotors resurfaced on the car.

·
Registered
2005 Outback 3.0RN H6
19 Posts
Hi there!
Such a shame that the coating didn't last like you would hope!
It's not like the EBC stuff is economy market end is it.
I know rotors don't last all that long anymore, but how many miles have those done?

·
Registered
923 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Around 35,000 miles

1 - 18 of 18 Posts