Subaru Outback Forums banner

Echohitch

4K views 19 replies 16 participants last post by  lidksmy 
#1 ·
Installed my Echohitch today. Very well manufactured. I was very impressed. So I watched the install video

and they reinstall the foam piece that goes on the bumper and reassemble. The directions that came with the hitch however say to discard the foam. I followed the video and put it back on. I don't think its a problem as everything lined back up:8:

#10 ·
Maybe so for the top portion of the foam, but the rearward facing portion is part of the low speed energy impact absorption. I'm surprised the instructions say to leave it off when there is obviously enough space to reinstall it.

My 4th get doesn't have any of the EPS foam going over the top of the bumper so it was obvious to me it is for impact protection.

#8 ·
I saw a video from a reseller (etrailer?) that went over the Curt and Draw-tite hitches that they sold. In the video the fellow mentioned that the height of the hitch from the ground was 15 1/2" as I recall. I think that they say this measurement is 18" or so on the EcoHitch site. That's a pretty significant difference.

#9 ·
I can check the departure angle and distance later today, but the foam piece did install back in place for me as well. The hitch does feel real high up and out of the way from other vehicle/hitch setups. Im using the 2" version. There is not much difference between my exhaust tip and the hitch in terms of height AGL.

#13 ·
trimming the bumper guard

Quick question about the bumper guard? I know I have to trim the bumper and there is a pattern to do this. I also know the rear guard covers some of this cutout. But it being plastic I would think my Dremmel would make quick work of the rear guard just like the bumper.

Any thoughts?

#15 ·
Thanks, trfkcop.

I ordered the hitch today. Glad I found your thread. Exactly what I was looking for. Looks great!

I'll install when the weather gets warmer and let everyone know about the bumper guard.

#16 ·
I ordered the 2" EcoHitch during the recent sales event and it arrived this past Thursday. Installation was very smooth (~2 hours) and the form, fit and finish is excellent. I was able, without any problem, to retain the "foam" piece in its place. The instructions have you cut out a section on the bottom of the bumper for the hitch, but like many, I decided to try to keep the "center" hole which turned out to be real easy.

To potentially make the removal of the 9 plastic lock plugs a bit easier, try to wash them or apply a bit of a soap product (i.e. Dawn) as they could be jammed with dirt making a bit more difficult to pop out. One on my wheel well fought back pretty hard.

FWIW, I can highly recommend the EcoHitch!

#17 ·
To potentially make the removal of the 9 plastic lock plugs a bit easier, try to wash them or apply a bit of a soap product (i.e. Dawn) as they could be jammed with dirt making a bit more difficult to pop out. One on my wheel well fought back pretty hard.
Took me a bit longer (~4 hours) thanks to removing wheel arches, mud flaps, and struggling before I bought deep socket to remove the bumper. Wish I saw the tip for cleaning out the pop rivets. That by far was the hardest and longest single step. I kept the foam, but I couldn't get perfect alignment of the rear fascia...but it's close enough for me not to think about about it. I might try to futz with it again on a warm day if I have nothing better to do.

#18 ·
Well..........I did it. I ordered and installed the Ecohitch on my 2018 Subaru Outback. I reviewed the video on the Etrailer website (several times). Read all the comments on this forum. With that being said, it was a little nerve wracking taking apart a two month old car :surprise:. I did all my homework and had all the tools I needed. I want to thank all those that posted pictures and details of their installations. It REALLY helped. I did end up dumping the foam piece because it wouldn't allow all the holes and clips to line up. But all in all.........it went pretty smooth.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.