Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have reviewed many of the towing threads here and there is a ton of information. Thank you to everyone here for such enthusiasm and for welcoming a newbie like myself.

So here is the rub:
I'm looking on e-trailer and I have narrowed it down to these hitches Ignore the 3rd one, I ain't drilling on my car!

So, except cost, and the difference in tongue weight (max tow weight being above what the '17 OB can handle makes it a non-issue) which is better?

·
Registered
17 Posts
So I have reviewed many of the towing threads here and there is a ton of information. Thank you to everyone here for such enthusiasm and for welcoming a newbie like myself.

So here is the rub:
I'm looking on e-trailer and I have narrowed it down to these hitches Ignore the 3rd one, I ain't drilling on my car!

So, except cost, and the difference in tongue weight (max tow weight being above what the '17 OB can handle makes it a non-issue) which is better?

Honestly at this point your just splitting hairs but I think the ecohitch fits a wee bit tighter (better).

·
Registered
258 Posts
Reactions: Wat3rman

·
Registered
2017 Subaru Outback
68 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
that's very good price...but Ships in 4 to 5 weeks...
I noted that and called them. They thought it was unusual as they showed 10 in stock, and placed me on hold. They called Draw-Tite and confirmed that this is a stock item (ships from Draw-Tite) and not a made to order item. My ship date was updated to July 16th, i.e. today.

·
Premium Member
2018 Outback 3.6R Limited; 2" LP Aventure lift, LPA skid plates and small bumper guard, diff breather relocation, subframe skids; Motegi MR118 17x8et32 wheels; Yakima LoadWarrior with extension; ARB
318 Posts
I went with the EcoHitch, as I found a good deal (on here) on a used one. It will be installed tomorrow.

·
Registered
2019 Subaru Forester Premium, Crystal Black Silica, Pkg 15
1,528 Posts
Don't forget about the Backup Sensor in the bumper fascia when you're removing it. I believe it's on the driver's side.

Reactions: my1973vw

·
Registered
2017 Subaru Outback
68 Posts
I noted that and called them. They thought it was unusual as they showed 10 in stock, and placed me on hold. They called Draw-Tite and confirmed that this is a stock item (ships from Draw-Tite) and not a made to order item. My ship date was updated to July 16th, i.e. today.
Thanks for the information.

:smile2:

·
Registered
258 Posts
Recd. the 76227 Draw-Tite yesterday. Other than three to four very little paint blemishes, the unit arrived in excellent condition. I am next looking for a wiring kit and a suitable bracket to mount the plug outside permanently. Wiring harness candidates include Tekonsha, Hopkins, Curt, Reese and this one from AMZN. Any recommendations?

https://www.amazon.com/MICTUNING-Trailer-Connector-Forester-Crosstrek/dp/B078TBWLYC/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1532227373&sr=8-5&keywords=mictuning+trailer+wiring+harness&refinements=p_72%3A2661618011

·
Premium Member
2018 Outback Touring 2.5i, and soon 2019 Ascent Touring
121 Posts
I am also a newbie with a 2018 Touring model...

I went with the EcoHitch and it installed with no issues. I even kept the foam that for some reason the instructions say to throw away. The bumper went back on with no issues... so far...

I choose the EcoHitch based on looking over the pictures of the two and liking the construction of the EcoHitch as well as the great customer support they seemed to have offered other on the forum. They even went so far as to build a custom hitch for one individual. Also, if you ever have any issue, such as rust, they will re-powder coat the hitch it seems at no cost (ok... you have to remove it and ship it).

I ordered mine from etrailer.com

WARNING... I was searching all kinds of information on installing since I have the backup sensors on the bumper. One post I believe has the Subaru instructions that called for removing the negative terminal from the battery so I did so.... Most say its not needed. I should have listened to the "most" people. My lift gate was stuck in the up position and all it would do is beep. I found I had to use a pen or screw driver to actuate the latch in the hatch. Basically I pushed the latch so it thinks it hooked close and put the latch back into the open position. This sends a signal to the computer that its ok to close I guess... Also, none of the windows would open or close from the drivers seat. I had to go to each door individually and actuate them there so I assume the computer would learn they existed as well. A few things in the settings, such as tire pressure in PSI also reset and my Trip A&B I was using to track MPG also reset (should have taken a picture first).

Long story short, if you have the sensors on the bumper, I would listen to the "most" people and NOT disconnect the negative terminal on the battery.

Anyway, I had my son help me, we laid down a blanket to protect the removed bumper, it all went smoothly. I even had the wheel arch moldings I needed to remove...

·
Registered
258 Posts

·
Premium Member
2018 Outback Touring 2.5i, and soon 2019 Ascent Touring
121 Posts
I have the factory wheel arch moldings as well; plan to install the Draw-Tite next weekend. Also ordered the Curt wiring kit. It does come with a ground ring terminal, that I will fix to an existing ground or bolt in the cargo area.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0031G8GME/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This was recommended as a good way to see how to remove the Wheel Arch Moldings. Yes it is for a Grill install and yes it is the front arches, but it is basically the same for the rear arches:

GO TO ABOUT 02:55 on the video and you will see it...

I used the "T-One Vehicle Wiring Harness with 4-Pole Flat Trailer Connector Item # 118467" from etrailer.com.

https://www.etrailer.com/p-118467.html?hhyear=2018&hhmake=Subaru&hhmodel=Outback+Wagon

It installed mine once I used this video:

NO Ground wire needed for this one...

·
Registered
258 Posts
This was recommended as a good way to see how to remove the Wheel Arch Moldings. Yes it is for a Grill install and yes it is the front arches, but it is basically the same for the rear arches:

GO TO ABOUT 02:55 on the video and you will see it...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D6_qcD_lFnE

I used the "T-One Vehicle Wiring Harness with 4-Pole Flat Trailer Connector Item # 118467" from etrailer.com.

https://www.etrailer.com/p-118467.html?hhyear=2018&hhmake=Subaru&hhmodel=Outback+Wagon

It installed mine once I used this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngQa0v29Xlw&t=347s

NO Ground wire needed for this one...
Thank you for the information.

·
Registered
2018 OB 2.5i Limited
3 Posts
On my 2018 OB, I went with the Eco hitch and Tekonsha harness, purchased from etrailer. Their videos were a great help. The install was easy and went smoothly. I also reused the foam piece, did not see any fit issues with it. The trailer plug on the Tekonsha harness, and probably the others, are not intended for mounting outside the car. Corrosion could be an issue.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Curt Trailer Wiring Connector - Question

I located the trailer connector on the OB. The Curt harness (56040) I purchased has the ground terminated in a ring terminal rather than pinned into the connector. I am trying to avoid drilling and securing the ground; have not located a suitable existing ground point as yet. I can cut the ring terminal and pin the connector to use the ground on the factory connector. Just want to make sure I am using the right pin position for the ground.

I have the following for the car side wires upstream from the black electronic module on the wiring kit:
A. View of connector from wire side. There are 5 pin locations on top row, with three of them occupied as follows from right to left:
1. Yellow = Left Turn
2. Brown = Tail
3. Unfused Red = Stop
4. Vacant
5. Vacant

B. There are a total of three pin locations, with two occupied from right to left as follows:
1. Black (connected to Red fused wire) = Battery
2. Green = Right Turn
3. Vacant (to the left of the connector securement tab hump)

From web pictures, I cannot clearly make out whether position 5 on the top row or position 3 on the bottom row corresponds to the Outback factory connector ground wire. I acknowledge that I could check with a multimeter to be sure.... However, can anyone who has used a Tekonsha connector or another one with the ground pinned into the trailer wiring kit harness connector clarify the pin location? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2017 Outback 3.6R Limited
50 Posts
Happy with the Eco on a 2018. It sets higher so what you want to pull should be considered.
Are you saying that the top of the EcoHitch is closer to the bottom of the rear bumper than the top of the Draw-Tite?

From looking at the pictures on eTrailer I thought that this might be the case, but I wasn't sure that my eyes weren't playing tricks on me...

1 - 20 of 58 Posts