Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Subaru Outback, 2.5L H4 MPI, 5mt
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Over time my car has developed a few annoying sounds. Hopefully you guys can lead me in the right direction as I am on a tight budget and dont want to pay a shop if I could possibly handle it.

Car: 2006 Outback, 2.5i 5mt lowered on legacy struts.

Sound one: Drove north for a couple hours and the car developed a squealing, high pitch sound. Kind of like a wear indicator on the brakes. appears to be passenger front. Only makes the sound when over 45 mph. The roads were dry but covered in salt. All brake pads and rotors are newer, I replaced last summer. So thinking it was a heat shield, I pop off the tires only to discover nothing. I even went so far to pull the caliper pins and clean them. Still making the noise. Not the brakes?? The small metal guides come loose? Thoughts? Also, Wheel bearings were replaced by previous owner at 95k.

Sound two: Hard clicking when accelerating. Sound goes away at speed. I did have a shop look at it and they thought it could be the rear differential but were not too certain. Before I go buying a used one to swap, does anyone have other suggestions to look at? Or try another shop?

Past work done
-front sway bar links and bushings at 125k
-clutch and flywheel at 110k (PO)
-LF CV replaced at 90k (PO)
-front wheel bearings at 95k (PO)
-rear wheel bearings at 50k (PO)

·
Registered
05 GT wagon, 09 Spec B, 18 3.6R Outback
1,312 Posts
You may have a stone caught between the brake rotor and the backing plate. kind of common every now and then.

Clicking could be the carrier bearing in the propeller shaft. See if you can feel a vibration as you drive and rest your right elbow on the center consul

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You may have a stone caught between the brake rotor and the backing plate. kind of common every now and then.

Clicking could be the carrier bearing in the propeller shaft. See if you can feel a vibration as you drive and rest your right elbow on the center consul
Thanks
Ok, it could be possible. Looks like I should take all 4 brakes apart. I did the pass. front and greased up the pins, but that did nothing.

Where is the carrier bearing located? Near the engine or near the rear diff?

·
Registered
05 GT wagon, 09 Spec B, 18 3.6R Outback
1,312 Posts
The carrier bearing is the center bearing in the drive shaft. It's about 18" behind the tranny. You can grab the shafts on either side of the bearing and see if they move around a bit, a good bearing will have very little play.

Reactions: Cdenver

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well I took all of the brakes apart. Found that the rear had a rub from the small thin guard that is in close to the hub was rubbing on the rotor. Pushed it back and ground it down. Didn’t fix it. Still making the noise. And only once I’m cruising pretty good. Could it be a belt pulley bearing?! No noise at all when idling.
Checked out the carrier bearing. The rubber bushing around it moves a fair amount but nothing was loose.
So frustrating ?

·
Registered
2000 Outback Limited, Dual Range 5 Speed
906 Posts
Try doing the same drive but let of the gas and put the box in neutral, if the noise doesn’t change most likely box is ok and the noise is in the driveline from the box onward to the road.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Try doing the same drive but let of the gas and put the box in neutral, if the noise doesn’t change most likely box is ok and the noise is in the driveline from the box onward to the road.
It’s there regardless of on power or off, or coasting. I’m going to do a wheel bearing and see if that’s it. Sure seems like it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts