Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys,

i have a 2000 subaru OBS limited, this isnt a big issue more of just curiosity, if its possible and if so if its worth it? i know in one of my previous posts i brang up A/C delete because my A/c compressor is shot, i thought i might as well bring this up also. maybe could be worth a few ponies or would it just screw everything up?

thanks for the help!

·
Registered
514 Posts
Felony

It doesn't matter how you ask the question, what you are really asking us is whether or not we would approve of your committing a felony by knowingly removing your pollution control devices.

I would think - and hope - that anyone on this board would answer by telling you to leave the devices as they are, or even repair them as necessary, but DO NOT REMOVE THEM under any circumstances!

·
Registered
25 Posts
It doesn't matter how you ask the question, what you are really asking us is whether or not we would approve of your committing a felony by knowingly removing your pollution control devices.

I would think - and hope - that anyone on this board would answer by telling you to leave the devices as they are, or even repair them as necessary, but DO NOT REMOVE THEM under any circumstances!
lol...why are ppl on this forum so against doing anything to their cars! It's YOURS! Make it your own!!! if the, check engine, light can stay off...WHO CARES!!!

The warranty on my Evo was GONE when it was parked in my garage the first time. it had 35 miles on it. it passes inspection every year with flying colors! and Unicorns farting flowers and pooping Skittles! the check engine light isn't on, and there's NOTHING in the motor or bolted on that's remotely stock. it hasn't been tuned on race gas(C16) as of yet, but the setup im running has made 600-650 whp depending on how much boost you decide to put to it. ill be somewhere in the neighborhood of 40psi and it should make about 625whp. good for 9.8-9.9 at 140-142. and remember it passes emissions. Well, at lest it thinks it does ;-)

all im saying is if you want to do something to your ride to make it yours.... JUST DO IT! then you're not driving the same thing as EVERYONE else!

·
Registered
12,299 Posts
if its possible
yes, i've done it. no big deal. been driving one of my daily drivers for 60,000 miles now like that.

it's going to cause your check engine light to come on, so if you live in a state that looks for that, it won't pass. there may be options to work around that, say by swapping a non-EGR ECU (which are common). my state doesn't check so it doesn't matter for me.

worth it?
not really, no power gains that's for sure. if it's working, just leave it. but in the bigger sense, it depends. it was worth it to me to have one less system and set of components in there, i'm an engineer and fewer points of failure is a good thing to me. i've seen malfunctioning EGR solenoid system cause a shifting problem in automatics, where they don't want to down shift, so to me it's less components, less parts, and removing some possible (though extremely unlikely) failure modes. no more EGR valve, solenoid, gaskets, vacuum lines, and that little tiny quarter sized in-line filter on the passengers side.

i already had the engine out because when I buy Subaru's I buy them super cheap needing work...often meaning an engine or trans...and then fix them. so for me it wasn't much extra work to remove it in the process of swapping the engine.

Process:

1. remove the EGR valve, EGR pipe, EGR solenoid, vacuum hoses, and the vacuum nipple in the intake manifold.

2. block off the EGR passage. make a cover plate - either use a plate from a non-EGR intake manifold that has one or just make one. take a piece of metal, dremel (or cut it however you like) and bolt it on.

2. (alternate) - leave the EGR valve in place as a block off plate but not connected to anything so it's essentially non-operational. i remove them to clean it up.

3. block off the exhaust port where the EGR pipe screws into the exhaust port at the head. find a bolt with that thread pitch and cover the threads with sealant.

3. (alternate) cut the EGR exhaust pipe close to where i meets the head, crimp it over, and weld it shut or weld a ball bearing over the opening. reinstall that small end of the pipe

4. block off the open vacuum tube in the intake manifold. many intake manifolds have place holder screws that screw into unused ports (for cars without EGR, without cruise control...etc), just get one of those and block it off.

·
Registered
4,076 Posts
Regardless of your legal, environmental, or performance views, you should go here Don’t Block or Remove the EGR Valve, It’s Saving You Money | Tuner University and read this first. There are several common misconceptions about the way our engines are designed. The myth that emission or pollution control devices are all a conspiracy to rob power in order to satisfy some hippie-dippy green tree-huger agenda are just that, a myth. The ERG is not even engaged when power is needed. The same way that your 2000's A/C compressor automatically shuts down when extra power is needed to merge onto the highway.

There are better ways to increase the power of your boxer. Ways that are not illegal, harmful to the air we all breathe, or detrimental to the delicate balance found in modern computer controlled internal combustion engines. Come on man, it's a station wagon, not a street rod. At least read the article first. Contempt before investigation is just ignorance.

·
Registered
12,299 Posts
not everyone needs to think like you in the same way you have no desire to think like me.

it is in the best interest of this board for each one of us to comment on things we have experience with and not armchair quarter back things we have zero experience with.

Are you aware of the broader EGR scene? Did you know that EGR deletes are unbelievably common? One can Google it - there are websites selling kits, forums with all sorts of EGR deletes, it's all over ebay, you can buy all over the internet, how to's on how to do it, people proclaiming everywhere that they've done it. some vehicles have such bad EGR problems (causing motor problems, high repair costs due to headgaskets, etc) - EGR deletes are almost common place on some other manufacturers engines, kits are made for that purpose, and highly recommended to protect the motors.

a google search shows all of this, very common knowledge that this is the real world application of this thread.

So - if the EPA is *really* concerned about these hardened criminal felonies you speak of - they are clearly exponentially incompetent to get online, make a list, and go fine everyone thousands of dollars. They're not doing it....so they don't even care to that extent.

In a more general sense....members here breaks thousands of laws a day and commits dozens of felonies a month if you're one to live by the "letter of the law".

I have "tampered with mail". I have crossed state lines (like 50 - 100 times) with guns not 100% in accordance with the laws of those states. I entered a government facility in DC, where I work (with a security clearance mind you), with a rifle in my trunk. I had forgotten about it after hunting and left it in one of my fleet of 10 Subaru's. i have crossed state lines with alcohol in my car....probably not in accordance with state laws...a huge portion of americans have "committed" a felony. Those were accidents or happened in a much larger context where most people would totally understand. Felonies are not my area of expertise but it's fairly obvious that living by the letter of the law is not a driving factor for most people.

whether or not we would approve of your committing a felony.
in the sense outlined above...where circumstances dictates or a larger context gives clarity that no crime or harm is being committed, i am okay with "committing a felony".

·
Registered
25 Posts
not everyone needs to think like you in the same way you have no desire to think like me.

it is in the best interest of this board for each one of us to comment on things we have experience with and not armchair quarter back things we have zero experience with.

Are you aware of the broader EGR scene? Did you know that EGR deletes are unbelievably common? One can Google it - there are websites selling kits, forums with all sorts of EGR deletes, it's all over ebay, you can buy all over the internet, how to's on how to do it, people proclaiming everywhere that they've done it. some vehicles have such bad EGR problems (causing motor problems, high repair costs due to headgaskets, etc) - EGR deletes are almost common place on some other manufacturers engines, kits are made for that purpose, and highly recommended to protect the motors.

a google search shows all of this, very common knowledge that this is the real world application of this thread.

So - if the EPA is *really* concerned about these hardened criminal felonies you speak of - they are clearly exponentially incompetent to get online, make a list, and go fine everyone thousands of dollars. They're not doing it....so they don't even care to that extent.

In a more general sense....members here breaks thousands of laws a day and commits dozens of felonies a month if you're one to live by the "letter of the law".

I have "tampered with mail". I have crossed state lines (like 50 - 100 times) with guns not 100% in accordance with the laws of those states. I entered a government facility in DC, where I work (with a security clearance mind you), with a rifle in my trunk. I had forgotten about it after hunting and left it in one of my fleet of 10 Subaru's. i have crossed state lines with alcohol in my car....probably not in accordance with state laws...a huge portion of americans have "committed" a felony. Those were accidents or happened in a much larger context where most people would totally understand. Felonies are not my area of expertise but it's fairly obvious that living by the letter of the law is not a driving factor for most people.

in the sense outlined above...where circumstances dictates or a larger context gives clarity that no crime or harm is being committed, i am okay with "committing a felony".
LOVE IT!

There was this one time, that someone I know, brought Cigars back from CUBA!!!!

On a more srs note. all an EGR system does it RE-BURN the air fuel mixture to magically get more crap out of it, THAT SOUNDS GOOD FOR IT! EXHAUST GAS RECIRCULATION system, EGR. It's kinda like a new age air pump which pumped fresh air into the exhaust so it would LOOK like it wasnt bad for the tree effers.

·
Registered
1 Posts
First, I realize that this is an old thread, so no ragging on me about that.
Was just wondering if this issue ever had a real resolution.
Second, the need for a EGR simulator isn't exclusively reserved for those who wish to remove their EGR system. I have a 1998 Legacy Outback that came with the infamous 2.5L head gasket issue. I did what MANY other owners have done, replaced the 2.5 with a 2.2.
Only catch is that the 2.2 DOES NOT HAVE an EGR valve, so the code is perpetually on in the computer. I am looking for a way to simulate the EGR so the CEL stays off.

Just wanted to make clear that you don't necessarily have to mod an engine to have these sorts of needs...

Jason

·
Registered
12,299 Posts
No. If you don't want the CEL on - then you get an EGR equipped EJ22.

But there is a simple solution:
1. Buy an EJ22 intake manifold with EGR and swap it or the intake wiring harness onto the current EJ22 intake.
2. Then there's a work around involving the vacuum lines for the EGR system that you can pull off, even though the head won't accept an EGR pipe.

Alternately I guess you could get the wiring diagram from:
A. an EGR equipped EJ22
B. a non-EGR equipped EJ22
C. and then just "convert" your existing EJ22 to EGR - but that sounds awfully complex and will involve splicing into your body side wiring harness or inserting pins into the engine side wiring connector...not for the faint of heart but it can be done. but i hate wiring, maybe you love sprawling out 10 feet of wiring diagrams and combing over that stuff....

buying the EGR intake manifold or wiring harness would be gobs simpler.

Car-Part.com--Used Auto Parts Market

I've swapped a non-EGR intake manifold, non-EGR ECU - and still have a check engine light. So it's seemingly impossible or there's an incantation noone knows about.

·
Registered
1 Posts
First, I realize that this is an old thread, so no ragging on me about that.
Was just wondering if this issue ever had a real resolution.
Second, the need for a EGR simulator isn't exclusively reserved for those who wish to remove their EGR system. I have a 1998 Legacy Outback that came with the infamous 2.5L head gasket issue. I did what MANY other owners have done, replaced the 2.5 with a 2.2.
Only catch is that the 2.2 DOES NOT HAVE an EGR valve, so the code is perpetually on in the computer. I am looking for a way to simulate the EGR so the CEL stays off.

Just wanted to make clear that you don't necessarily have to mod an engine to have these sorts of needs...

Jason

So I have had the SAME EXACT engine swap from my 98 legacy outback and have a seemingly untrackable cooling issue, I want to say thank you for clearing up the 2.2 does not have the EGR Valve I have just spent hours trying to see if this could be a cause, for my engine does not have one.

·
Super Moderator
25,192 Posts
So I have had the SAME EXACT engine swap from my 98 legacy outback and have a seemingly untrackable cooling issue, I want to say thank you for clearing up the 2.2 does not have the EGR Valve I have just spent hours trying to see if this could be a cause, for my engine does not have one.

you found a old thread, some EJ22 have EGR, some don't,

...see this thread for sourcing the correct EJ22 to drop into a EJ25D car

https://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/111-gen-1-1995-1999/248329-ej22-swap-into-ej25d-dohc-vehicle.html

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
About this Discussion
10 Replies
8 Participants
eagleeye
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing