Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

I just realized this month that I need new tabs for my subie and in order to do that I need to pass an emissions test. I pulled out my OBDII code reader so I could figure out if I would pass.

Well, it threw me two codes; one I managed to solve by replacing my O2 sensor, but this other one (p0400) is a little more difficult. I have already been pouring over the numerous posts on this site pertaining to this trouble code, but I had a few questions that I was hoping someone could answer.

First, I took off my EGR valve and gave it a good scraping. When I put it back on though, I realized that I don't really know what the "stem" part of the EGR valve is. The Haynes manual says it should move when the engine is reved but I would need to know what to look at before I can test it.

Also, assuming my EGR valve IS dead, is it a cheap replacement? I'm assuming I just need to order a new one and a gasket to go along with it?

The other thing I've noticed that people had to replace is the BPT. It looks like this might be an easy replacement as well.

I just don't want to fail the emissions test. If I fail I have to get a waiver and pay a certified mechanic at least 150$ in repairs. I'm assuming for that amount of money I could do at least twice the repairs that they would do for me.

I'm still learning so any help would be greatly appreciated.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts