Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Longtime lurker; first time poster. Original owner of 03 outback 2.5L w 260k. first Headgasket done at 180k, now HG blown again. replacing w 2.0 jdm motor at shop for $1200 or selling car for a few $$ is only options at this point. Any advice from owners/mechanics who've done this swap would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
1999 30th Anniversary Legacy Outback DOHC 2.5L 4EAT, 2008 Impreza WRX 2.5L 5MT, 2008 Impreza Wagon 2.5L 4EAT
1,224 Posts
The swap is relatively easy (keep your intake manifold, cam & crank sensors and drivers side cam gear. I have heard that the EJ20 in Outback wagons with auto transmissions are rather doggy, but that's only third hand info.

I have an EJ20 JDM in my 03 Forester with Manual Transmission and I have no issues accelerating or crusing at 75 mph

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
26,325 Posts
why don't you replace it with a US spec Ej251 2003-2004 EGR engine from a pick and pull from a wreck? (closest would be a leg/outback)

(you can look right down at them and see the head gaskets/ gaskets on the intake manifold,...and maybe find one that is young in miles on the listing and have nice head gaskets on it).

I mean a used engine for one of these from a pick and pull is like $250 ? . (vs. ponying all those bucks up for a JDM)

________

then there is no issue with it having only about 140hp,

...any tuning vs. check engine light vs ECU silliness that your state won't like.

·
Registered
2005 OBXT Limited, VF37, STI intake, 5MT
1,572 Posts
It's a pretty straightforward swap. You would essentially be using the engine block and cylinder heads, however. Like @miker104 said, you'd be keeping everything from your intake manifold and up (accessories, brackets, wiring, etc).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts