Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys.

got an ej22 in a 1997 liberty in australia.

Its leaking oil out of the bottom of the timing cover right in the middle, there is oil all over the sump and the y in the exhaust. Read all about cam cranshaft and oil pump orings. So i decided to get a mechanic to do the job.

He pulled the timing cover and said it was all dry in their. He reconded it was coming from the leaking valve cover gaskets. he also said the rear main seal is leaking.

So replaced the VC gsk, so fix some leaks. There is still oil on the middle of the TC at the bottom, and the smell of burnt oil when you pull up.

I have degreased it twice to determin where the leak is coming from.

I am thinking if it dry inside the TC, if the oil pump oring that can go can leak oil out the back of the pump
Just looking for where the leak is coming from without pulling the TC off.

I have read guys that have done all the cam and crankseals and they still have leaks.

Any ideas...

Cheers

·
Registered
1999 30th Anniversary Legacy Outback DOHC 2.5L 4EAT, 2008 Impreza WRX 2.5L 5MT, 2008 Impreza Wagon 2.5L 4EAT
1,224 Posts
If it is dry under the timing cover that excludes the cam/crank seals and oil pump. May be the power steering pump or the oil pan

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
26,322 Posts
I am chasing a similar leak in my EJ251 of 2002.

someone here recommended you clean the engine from underneath of all visible oil

then spray with a white powdered based antiperspirant in a aerosol can,...like something for feet.

and then look often for where it starts to leak.

_____

good luck, and I would keep some extra oil with you.
maybe switch to some "high miles/kms" stuff that is thicker then you have been using.

ones listed as for vehicles with "high miles/kms" may swell some old oil seals to stop leaking, and thicker may help slow the leak down too

·
Registered
2012 STI, 2007 Impreza RS
131 Posts
Common leak is Oil Pressure sending unit, located on top of block just under the alternator. I can run down the timing cover. I have seen numerous OPSU leaks.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi

Can someone clear up for me if the EJ22 1997 engine has rear cam orings or seals. As i had a look and quiet a it of oil around these.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi

Can someone clear up for me if the EJ22 1997 engine has rear cam orings or seals. As i had a look and quiet a it of oil around these.
If you look at the back side of the head, there is a cover where the cam is. There is a plug/o-ring there. Passenger side has an o-ring, driver side has a plug. Subaru part # 807045040 for the plug and 806946030 for the o-ring, you can get them for pretty cheap.

·
Registered
'97 Outback, EJ25, 226k miles
4 Posts
Common leak is Oil Pressure sending unit, located on top of block just under the alternator. I can run down the timing cover. I have seen numerous OPSU leaks.
Ditto on the pressure switch. Follow the oil all the way up. If the top of the engine is greasy, that might be your issue. Replaced one on my ex's 94 Legacy, just replaced the one on my 97 OB.
Wherever the oil is coming from, it ends up down on the exhaust/pan/timing cover. Find where wet and greasy meets high and dry.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts