Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
12,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
You need an EGR equipped intake manifold if you're worried about emissions. Options:
1. buy an EJ22 intake manifold with EGR
2. Or swap the EJ25 wiring harness onto the EJ22 intake manifold - to convert your intake manifold from non-EGR to EGR.

Then once you do either of those, you still don't have EGR in the engine/head, so you have to reroute some vacuum tubes to "trick it". Like this:
Using a NON-EGR engine in Subaru with EGR (Exhaust Gas Recirculation valve) - Engine - Ultimate Subaru Message Board

3. Sometimes you can drill and tap for EGR into a non-EGR engine but drilling through a cylinder head isn't something most people are up for.

4. swap the EJ25 heads onto the EJ22 and swap the entire intake manifold too - that would suck for multiple reasons but would "work".

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 Pair: 3.0 VDC Wag & 2.5 Limited Sedan
25,418 Posts

·
Registered
OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
12,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
are swaps into a 1999 easy with a 2000-2002 EJ251 without EGR?
It's not an EGR issue - it's Phase I or Phase II differences.

Quoting this as an illustration...not to poke fun or be a smart hole...but following the original write up will answer all questions about fitment and what's easy:
Read and reread the section you have a question about - it's probably answered.
1999 engines are listed in the write up. 1999 Legacy/Outback are Phase I and 99 Forester and Impreza RS are Phase II - that's why 1999 legacy/outback are listed and Forester and Impreza are not for swap compatibility. It's only 1999 where Phase I and Phase II engines are available the same year - so it's only 1999 when the distinction matters. Again - just follow this simple outline for easy swaps compatability:

1996-1999 Legacy and Outbacks
1998 Impreza RS and Forester
So to answer the question - Look through the write up by model and year - or more specifically which Phase engines.

how about EG33?
6 cylinder and 4 cylinder have different cylinder numbers and are quite different electronically, definitely not plug and play.

Although I have run a 6 cylinder off of a 4 cylinder ECU before if we are very liberal in our use of the word "run".

·
Registered
98 Legacy Outback, EJ25D > 1995 EJ22 Swap
69 Posts
Thank you Gary!

I have a 1998 Subaru Legacy Outback that Gary helped step me through getting a swappable engine and had a mechanic swap it.

1) The swap was successful. No check engine light. Car drove. A loss of power getting onto highways on the on ramps (not problematic or dangerous, just more my mom's style of driving them I'm used to) or if I really wanted to do a very pushing-it pass on the highway, but otherwise not noticeable.

2) It's been two years. (For personal reasons, I'm still driving this car.) It did need the engine dropped the year later because internal parts failed (I have to look up what ones - oil loss was the symptom again.) It wasn't due to the swap. It was due to using a used engine, which is always a risk.

3) During that drop they found an old timing belt. It'd been supposedly replaced the first time. Wishing I'd asked for used parts the first time to verify.

4) It recently developed a mildly screechy start. Turned very loud while on a lift to get new tires (why I don't know??). Turned out to be fly wheel between engine and transmission. Mechanic says bolts wiggled loose. He's also seen missing guides cause this (but wasn't in this case.) So worth asking replacer to bolt it in well with the guides.

Those are my lessons learned so far.

I'm having a host of problems now, that I've posted separately. I don't expect they have anything to do with the swap since it's driven fine since the swap until now. I'll post here if they turn out to be related.

Gary, I'd come back a while ago and thanked everyone. You hadn't spotted my post at the time. So I'm glad I found this, so I can say THANK YOU again!

·
Registered
2015 Subaru BRZ turbo 1998 Subaru Legacy GT
81 Posts
Okay so my friend is in the end stages of a swap for me and we have run into some problems that I could really use some help with. I was told this is plug and play etc, but so far the power steering lines did not match up and supposedly the PCM had to be swapped out because it was coding the cam signal for a DOHC and the new heads are sohc. Now we still have a no start condition and my friend says the crank sensor is signaling 200 rpms when the car isn't running. He is replacing the cam and crank sensors and hopes it will start. Unfortunately they were already new, so I am wondering if anyone may have some suggestions?
Engine is a 96 SOHC single port ej22e non EGR from outback new chassis is 98 LGT that had a DOHC ej25d with EGR. I can sort out the EGR problem later with an ej22e EGR intake manifold I have. But this no start is dragging this project out and I am concerned the my friend is going to start asking me for more money to fix this even though I have already paid him extra money twice now.
Please help!
We also swapped the transmission over, which necessitated using the old trans cross member to keep the driveshaft from binding up and swapping the clutch mechanism over to the old style. Both of those issues were found after the fact dragging things out. We are both pretty frustrated, and I am now terrified to take this thing back apart for a hybrid build without a full parts car.(at least I'll have a spare trans this way)

·
On the Super Mod Squad
25,418 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Subaru BRZ turbo 1998 Subaru Legacy GT
81 Posts
Thanks I'll do that! I also feel really bad about giving him this job that is turning out to be a pain for him and I kind of need the car back soon!

·
Registered
OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
12,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Start another thread rather than reply here so this doens't get side tracked - you have a mechanical problem, not a swap problem.

and supposedly the PCM had to be swapped out because it was coding the cam signal for a DOHC and the new heads are sohc. Now we still have a no start condition and my friend says the crank sensor is signaling 200 rpms when the car isn't running. He is replacing the cam and crank sensors and hopes it will start.
He is wrong - there is no need to swap the PCM (ECU/ECM). DOHC and SOHC doesn't matter here. your friend is wrong on that, either he is misdiagnosing the issue (my guess) or the ECU was failed (unlikely but different than an incorrect ECU - if it failed then maybe the new one failed too because of a short or something?)

He is replacing the cam and crank sensors and hopes it will start.
that's unlikely the issue - you changed them once already, changing them again is unlikely to solve anything.

I'm not going to further diagnose here in this thread because this is swap thread - you have mechanical issues, not swap issues. please start another thread to keep this one usable and helpful.

·
Registered
1998 Subaru Legacy Outback 2.5L H4 FI DOHC 16V AWD
13 Posts
This is great. However I have a slightly different variation I haven't seen answered. I have an 1998 Subaru Legacy Outback AT with a bad 2.5L H4 DOHC. Local JDM importer has a great deal on EJ20 2.0L SOHC's ($795) but I cannot figure out if that will be a easy swap for my 2.5L DOHC? The EJ20 DOHC's are $1,145 and I'd rather save the money if I can make it work.

It seems like it would be similar to the EJ22's that I cannot seem to find anywhere near Seattle.

·
Registered
OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
12,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Ive installed JDM engines but start another thread so this one doesn't get cluttered and Google the exact recipe you're attempting. this is not about JDM engines.

·
Registered
1999 Legacy Outback
173 Posts
It looks like I may have a head gasket that has started leaking.

Let's say I get a '95 EJ22 from a junkyard, no real history on it; what would you recommend doing to it before dropping it into my engine bay? I'd assume timing belt kit/ water pump and new plugs but anything else that would be easier with the engine still out of the car?

·
On the Super Mod Squad
25,418 Posts
It looks like I may have a head gasket that has started leaking.

Let's say I get a '95 EJ22 from a junkyard, no real history on it; what would you recommend doing to it before dropping it into my engine bay? I'd assume timing belt kit/ water pump and new plugs but anything else that would be easier with the engine still out of the car?
valve cover gaskets and the various small gaskets and oil seals around the engine from a kit.,....OEM thermostat, PCV,

maybe get a inspection camera and put it down the plug holes to look for too much carbon / damage before buying.

Classically you should be looking for one with already low miles, ...like in a rear end wreck or a rust bucket. one that is still in the car even if it means buying the whole car to scrap it. (just so you can hear and watch it run for half a hour).

I would consider putting it in you outback,...getting it up and running and then looking for head gasket leaks in the EJ22 = just based on age/ miles. and be ready to pull it out again /polish the heads and swap on some new HGs......but if you got time and energy, maybe just do the head gasket job right off the bat,...and be ready for 300,000 miles on the happy EJ22.

·
Registered
2001 Forester, 1997 Legacy wagon, 2.2
123 Posts
Thanks so much !!

From reading the opening post, I assume my 1997 2.5D AT has EGR. If not, how crazy would buying a 2.2 with EGR be?

A junkyard listing on car-part dotcom (thanks again for that, folks) offers me a "1998 2.2 (AT) (EGR) (VIN sixth digit is 4)"

Sounds good for my 1997 2.5D with AT.......what luck the junkyard happens to be right here in town.....and how lucky their 2.2 has only 99K miles (so they say, for $700).....must go check it out.

PS:
This was useful:
How to read Subaru VIN numbers.
http://www.cars101.com/subaru/vin.html

·
Registered
OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
12,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
It's better to keep general questions. not directly related to swapping to other threads rather than clutter up this one - see first sentence of thread.

·
Registered
OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
12,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
From reading the opening post, I assume my 1997 2.5D AT has EGR. If not, how crazy would buying a 2.2 with EGR]
Compatability - read thread again. If you're question isn't answered it's a nonissue or doesn't exist as stated on first post. Trying to prevent cluttering with endless questions about infinite parts that could differ.

It has EGR. you can go look - it takes less time to look than post to the Internet. If it didn't it doesn't matter you just block off the EGR of the donor engine.

·
Registered
2001 Forester, 1997 Legacy wagon, 2.2
123 Posts
Thanks grossgary !

Sorry re clutter...can't look for my EGR. Car is at mechanic's. Just wanted to grab the 2.2 asap if compatible..Yay!! Thnx.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
25,418 Posts
Please Everybody with EJ25D problems, start a new thread about your car with the ideas expressed in this thread, be it with specific questions or projects.

here is the place:

Gen 1: 1995-1999 - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

Just locking this one up for a while to avoid clutter on what is a sticky thread with the general directions about what to start with.

:smile2:

21 - 40 of 41 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.