Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2002 Subaru Outback Wagon
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2002 Outback Limited with EJ25 stamped on the block. I the engine went out and I found one online. I should have compared the pictures better but the EJ25 I bought does not have the same "accessories" as the the one in the vehicle. Can someone tell me the difference and can I use the engine I bought? Attached are pictures of both engines.

Attachments

·
On the Super Mod Squad
02 Pair: 3.0 VDC Wag & 2.5 Limited Sedan
26,215 Posts
looks like you got some kind of EJ253 there.

why are you buying such things on line when there are plenty of 2000-2004 EJ251 and EJ252 just sitting around in local junk yards looking for a rescue.? (like in rust buckets or rear end wrecks).

(I mean subaru rich Wyoming, is not like subaru poor San Diego).

_____

can it work, maybe. lots of swapping. (..."might" not "want" to actually work in the end).

probably worth more as it sits though for someone that can drop it into their car as is.

link did you buy it off of?
(and whatever jerk put EJ25 on it in grease pen,...is missing a digit, and a year, and what vehicle it came out of, and what trans it had).

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was afraid of that.

It was off ebay from a seller "used-jdm-engines" with the title "2000-2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Forester Legacy Baja JDM EJ25 2.5L SOHC Engine". (sorry, it won't let me link since I'm new on this forum)

I emailed the guy with the numbers off my engine asking if they would work. Sounds like he either knows as much about them as I do or knows a sucker when he sees one.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
26,215 Posts
I was afraid of that.

It was off ebay from a seller "used-jdm-engines" with the title "2000-2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Forester Legacy Baja JDM EJ25 2.5L SOHC Engine". (sorry, it won't let me link since I'm new on this forum)

I emailed the guy with the numbers off my engine asking if they would work. Sounds like he either knows as much about them as I do or knows a sucker when he sees one.
add a couple ??? to the beginning of the link, or delete off the http.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
26,215 Posts
leave the item up, sign out of your account, and then reload page till you get the item without your transaction id,

_______

is your car a automatic or a manual?

·
Registered
OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
12,391 Posts
we're not given much information here but in general this is really easy. all EJ stuff is highly compatible.

The long block is the same. so just swap everything else over to the new block and install it. done.

New engine: remove power steering pump/bracket, A/C, alternator and associated brackets. Remove entire intake manifold with all sensors and wiring harness - it'll all come off as a complete assembly basically.

Now you're left with only the long block - block, heads, cams, VC's, and timing.

Install from your old engine onto the new engine: power steering, alternator, A/C, and entire intake manifold with wiring harness.
Install your drivers side cam and crank sprockets from the old engine on the new engine. There's two styles and a good chance they're the same, so you either check it, chance it, or just swap it and be done and know it's right for certain.

You should be installing a complete AISIN timing kit at the same time. Belt, tensioners, and pulleys.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
26,215 Posts
I think those ebay JDM people are degenerates. way too much money. for crap they don't know what it goes in.

@traildogck do you think someplace like rupair would trade a low miles JDM Ej253 for a proper Ej251/Ej252?

(I am thinking that maybe a drop in for a 2004 impreza/ forester, maybe a the oddball 2005?) a spin from cheyanne to boulder does not seem very far.

_____

at a minimum the intakes would need to be swapped,

@RoughDiamond might have some other suggestions.

_______

what happened to the original engine?
(HG leaking oil is fixable, like all the other 2000-2009 is not worth buying a JDM for,....as its going to leak eventually too).

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the advice.

I don't know for sure. Was headed to work when it started to run really rough and kept getting worse. Finally it just died. Was able to start again but wouldn't move.

I'd only had it for a couple of years and replaced the head gasket already. Bought it off a used lot in KC (it seems I know how to pick the "winners") so I don't know the history on it. I treated it well. My mechanic ruled out head gasket and timing belt but wasn't certain of cause without tearing it apart. He suspects it's some internal structural failure like a broken rod.

·
Registered
OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
12,391 Posts
a broken rod or rod bearing will let you know BANG BANG BANG BANG or KNOCK KNOCK KNOCK. you don't have failed rods and wonder what it is.

a good diagnosis would be ideal.

but yeah those two engines appear at cursory glance to easily swap, just follow everything i said. sometimes you can retain pumps, compressor, alternators, but they're also often slightly off, simpler to just swap it all over and essentially end up with a USDM engine by the time you're done IMO.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
26,215 Posts
Thanks for the advice.

I don't know for sure. Was headed to work when it started to run really rough and kept getting worse. Finally it just died. Was able to start again but wouldn't move.

I'd only had it for a couple of years and replaced the head gasket already. Bought it off a used lot in KC (it seems I know how to pick the "winners") so I don't know the history on it. I treated it well. My mechanic ruled out head gasket and timing belt but wasn't certain of cause without tearing it apart. He suspects it's some internal structural failure like a broken rod.
just the rubber belt, or a timing belt kit? if so what kit?

(even with a new belt: components fail if old and unchanged, or just plain chinese junk).

·
Registered
2005 OBXT Limited, VF37, STI intake, 5MT
1,553 Posts
From the picture, it looks like you have a RHD (right hand drive) market pre-AVLS engine (doesn't appear to be solenoids near the oil filler tube). Probably a Legacy or Outback looking at the harness location and plug (which is fairly uncommon to find an EJ25 in RHD cars). Looks to be circa 2003-2004 (due to non USDM markets get the new stuff first)

Like @idosubaru said, that long block (heads and cylinder block) should be compatible with your 2002. However, the rest of the engine (intake, wiring harness, power steering pump, AC compressor, etc) would need to swapped with the original engine's equipment. Luckily, it's a bolt-on affair.

Two caveats:

-The PCV nipple on the passenger's side of the block will likely need converted OR the PCV system converted (both are doable, but some elbow grease required)

-The timing sprockets (crank and cam gear) will probably need swapped from the original engine. This is a good excuse to do a timing belt job as the age would probably put it past due (if not done already).

·
On the Super Mod Squad
26,215 Posts
From the picture, it looks like you have a RHD (right hand drive) market pre-AVLS engine (doesn't appear to be solenoids near the oil filler tube). Probably a Legacy or Outback looking at the harness location and plug (which is fairly uncommon to find an EJ25 in RHD cars). Looks to be circa 2003-2004 (due to non USDM markets get the new stuff first)

Like @idosubaru said, that long block (heads and cylinder block) should be compatible with your 2002. However, the rest of the engine (intake, wiring harness, power steering pump, AC compressor, etc) would need to swapped with the original engine's equipment. Luckily, it's a bolt-on affair.

Two caveats:

-The PCV nipple on the passenger's side of the block will likely need converted OR the PCV system converted (both are doable, but some elbow grease required)

-The timing sprockets (crank and cam gear) will probably need swapped from the original engine. This is a good excuse to do a timing belt job as the age would probably put it past due (if not done already).

in the last pic on the ebay link, it has a picture of a etched serial/stock # . "C641233"
(factory etched into the aluminum somewhere)

(I don't think the engine they shipped from MD to WY is the exact engine though,
edit: the one one the ebay link has in magic marker:
EJ25 641233 written on the intake, just like the etching).

I wonder if such engines would be a good swap to a US spec 2005 car, if rounding up a good local example ever becomes a problem.

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
in the last pic on the ebay link, it has a picture of a etched serial/stock # . "C641233"
(factory etched into the aluminum somewhere)

(I don't think the engine they shipped from MD to WY is the exact engine though,
edit: the one one the ebay link has in magic marker:
EJ25 641233 written on the intake, just like the etching).

I wonder if such engines would be a good swap to a US spec 2005 car, if rounding up a good local example ever becomes a problem.
That one would be a nearly drop-in swap for non-Cali-spec cars.

The intake would still need to be modified or swapped (the vacuum hose nipple for the power brake booster is plugged and relocated by the coil pack in RHD market engines), but the timing, heads, PCV system, and harness would (should) all match directly.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
26,215 Posts
That one would be a nearly drop-in swap for non-Cali-spec cars.

The intake would still need to be modified or swapped (the vacuum hose nipple for the power brake booster is plugged and relocated by the coil pack in RHD market engines), but the timing, heads, PCV system, and harness would (should) all match directly.
do you know where that serial # is etched.? ...it would be nice if it were visible when the engine is installed.

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
do you know where that serial # is etched.? ...it would be nice if it were visible when the engine is installed.
The "assembly" serial number is stamped onto the driver' side upper edge near the engine-transmission interface. Right above the starter pocket. Easily visible in or out of the car.

Unfortunately, we have no current way of deciphering what or when the engine was intended for or built, respectively. Luckily, on USDM cars, the VIN is also dimpled onto the block IF the engine is original. If it's a replacement engine, there's no ID.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
26,215 Posts
The "assembly" serial number is stamped onto the driver' side upper edge near the engine-transmission interface. Right above the starter pocket. Easily visible in or out of the car.

Unfortunately, we have no current way of deciphering what or when the engine was intended for or built, respectively. Luckily, on USDM cars, the VIN is also dimpled onto the block IF the engine is original. If it's a replacement engine, there's no ID.
where is that dimple stamp of the Vin# on USDM?

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
where is that dimple stamp of the Vin# on USDM?
Passenger side, lower area. Same flat interface between the engine and transmission. Near the motor mount.

I have a running "catalog" of engine blocks and where to find the IDs over on 25rs.com

EJ Blocks: A Pictoral Guide

1 - 18 of 18 Posts