Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There was a big topic on extra grounds a while back and was wondering how a hesitation felt like.

Is it a delay in power? Or just stuttering like fuel starvation?

I recently bought some 8 gauge (or was it 6?) power cord used for audio systems and some #6 AWG specified ring terminals.

I ran:

1 from batt neg to strut tower edge (2 bolts, used one near the outside).

1 from batt neg to headlight area ground (drivers side)

1 from batt neg to intake manifold

1 from batt neg to radiator metal (along with fastener to the fan)

The lights no longer dim during idle and it's fixed some of the radio static and sound is more clear (maybe that just me). And it seems power delivery is smooth. There used to be a slight power surge such as a turbo after 3K rpm, but it's barely noticable.

-paK +4

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
In addition, what I found out, with the grounding, that the voltage drop from the SPG to radiator is 0.6 Volts. The industry standard is recommeneded less that 0.2 Volts.

This means that the ungrounded radiator is risked to electrolyte corrosion. After grounding the radiator, the voltage drop reduced to 0.10-0.13 under some fluctuation.... and my lack of memory.

Keep in mind this was on a vehicle powered by a Phase 1 EJ25 with a 4EAT. I would not know if this would affect other cars with EJ20s or any other EJ series engine.

-paK +7

·
Superb Moderator, ,
6,194 Posts
I did my home made grounding about seven months ago. It did make a difference. Especially when you are driving, barely touching the gas pedal, then slightly push the pedal a little more-no surge or bucking, much smoother transition.
And like you, with 8 gauge wire it only cost me $20 to do it. I took four wires off of the negative side. One to the passenger shock tower, one to the passenger side intake manifold, one to the stock grounding point driver's side intake manifold, and one to the drivers side shock tower. I'll have to think about the radiator now:) Brian

·
Registered
137 Posts
I have been looking into the grounding systems myself. eBay has numerous for less than $20, but, shipping is as much as the "Buy Now" option.

Where did you get the 8AWG audio wire? I was looking at buying some jumper cables, at Walmart they are color coded as to what gage wire is used, ie: red was 4AWG and the price was around $25 and then of course you have a pair of huge wires that are 12-14ft long.

I would like to have the transparent jacket like in the audio cables. Did you go to a local car stereo supplier or what?

·
Superb Moderator, ,
6,194 Posts
Don't use anything over 8 gauge, it's overkill. You can get audio cable at Radio Shack also, or just your local car stereo store. Get some nice ring terminals for the ends, connect all two, three, or four cables to the negative side of the battery and Voila! I got 20 ft. of wire, and all the large ring terminals from a car audio shop for $22. Brian

·
Registered
137 Posts
Thanks Brian, I plan to stop on the way home from work to pick up the cable and terminals. The car audio store said $1/ft, need to check Radio Shack.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Also it's advisable to use stranded wire. I think all audio wires (or most) are like that anyways.

-paK +2

·
Registered
5 Posts
Sorry for my ignorance here, but...having some recent problems with battery drain and have always had hesitation issues with my '01 OB. What is the SPG?

Any other elec. that may be causing the battery drain? I am only getting max 13.8 v from reg. at any time, shouldn't it be 14.4v? My Fluke fuses are toasted right now so I can not register current draw and pull fuses to isolate but any other know elec. problems I need to be aware of?

Thanks for your help and patience,
Nate

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
About this Discussion
7 Replies
4 Participants
paco_finn
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing