Subaru Outback Forums banner

EJ25 now FB25

26738 25
With the 2013 model year Subaru began using a different engine in its Outback than in previous models. Among the changes to the engine was a small bump in horsepower and torque. It may be too early to ask but, does anyone that may have had a chance to evaluate both Outback engines notice a difference in performance?
21 - 26 of 26 Posts

· Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
I believe I read the BRZ engine (Subaru says it's totally new) is using a combination of DI and port injection that is a Toyota system. Seems costly to employ both especially when starting with a new engine.

· Registered
14 Posts
I know this is an old thread, but was wondering if 2013 models were the first to get the new FB engine?

Did all 2013's get the new engine or just certain trim lines?

How can you tell from looking at the engine which one it is? Does one have the oil filter sitting on top and the other have the engine oil filter underneath?

I am assuming the FB is the one with the oil filter sitting on the top easily accessible with the hood up...

Thanks.

· Meh.
I has wagons.
12,489 Posts
I know this is an old thread, but was wondering if 2013 models were the first to get the new FB engine?

Did all 2013's get the new engine or just certain trim lines?

How can you tell from looking at the engine which one it is? Does one have the oil filter sitting on top and the other have the engine oil filter underneath?

I am assuming the FB is the one with the oil filter sitting on the top easily accessible with the hood up...

Thanks.
This should help:
Subaru Outback research pages: 2014, 2013, 2012, 2011, 2010, 2009... all years/models

Reactions: ben550

· Registered
1 Posts
The real news with the FB engine is the reduced maintenance costs. I just did a bit of back-of-envelope math.

Depending on your definition of a "timing belt job," the FB will be between 0.5 and 1 cent per mile cheaper to operate as it uses a permanent chain instead.

If the FB has no head gasket issues over its life, that's another cent, maybe cent and a half cheaper.

Also a base-model 2013 (with FB engine) is about 40lbs lighter than a 2012 (EJ)
Maintenance cost on an fb25=just buy another car because that's what it costs to replace the engine. I swapped my 2012 forester x premium fb25 (after she splode) with a 2014 fb25 from an outback. It ended up costing thousands less and the oil guzzling does not seem as bad (yet). The 2009-2012 foresters in general have been garbage. They are easy to work on because they will require a new everything before 200k.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.