Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Subaru legacy OB 2.5 base
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As im trying to figure out some issues with my PCV in my 06 outback im very curious as to if the short block is the one that came in my car from the factory…. Every diagram i look at for engine block (by VIN) show a pcv valve threading into a fitting in the block, but my cars block has a big nipple coming out of it… could this be a different short block someone used from an older car and then bolted some heads to it off of the motor that was in my car originally… ?See pics…
Automotive fuel system Motor vehicle Auto part Automotive design Automotive exhaust

·
Registered
2012 STI, 2007 Impreza RS
337 Posts
The PCV vent in your picture was stopped in 2003 or 2004.
The actual vent pipe can be removed from the block and the correct one installed.

Here is a picture of what your PCV should have looked like.
Motor vehicle Hood Automotive tire Bumper Rim

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The actual vent pipe can be removed from the block and the correct one installed.

Here is a picture of what your PCV should have looked like. View attachment 530063

Here is a picture of what your PCV should have looked like. View attachment 530063
@soobyhobby whats the easiest way to remove this vent pipe? And where can i get the updated one your showing here….

·
Registered
337 Posts
@soobyhobby whats the easiest way to remove this vent pipe? And where can i get the updated one your showing here….
The PCV vent is pressed into the block, I have pulled them out in the past, but it's not necessarily easy.
I was thinking of building some kind of jig to pull them out, but have never done it.

I don't believe you can buy that piece but it's on all 2006-2011 SOHC engines, any model.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Here is a picture of an AVLS engine, look at the oil solenoid below the oil fill cap View attachment 530067
Yes my heads have the valve solenoids on them. Its Avls. I replaced both those solenoids while engine was apart. Now i just need to figure out how to pull that stupid pcv vent tube out of the block and replace it with the correct pcv vent with that t.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks gents!!! Time to find a junkyard with a car with a blown motor so i can get that pcv piping correct

·
Registered
337 Posts
@NBeers9
I have swapped those PCV vents on blocks in the past, but I did it with engine out, and no intake manifold on the engine. Twist and turn and pry it out.

I thought it wouldn't be to hard to build some kind of puller

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
@NBeers9
I have swapped those PCV vents on blocks in the past, but I did it with engine out, and no intake manifold on the engine. Twist and turn and pry it out.

I thought it wouldn't be to hard to build some kind of puller
i may see if i can borrow someones slide hammer!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Heat with a propane torch and twist it out.
and then freeze the new one…with some loctite 648 and she should be good

·
Premium Member
01 VDC, 05 R Sedan, 06 BAJA EJ257
16,648 Posts
Once you find one and get it removed, installation is just tapping it in. Loctite or no Loctite doesn't make a difference as long as the port in the block is clean.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Once you find one and get it removed, installation is just tapping it in. Loctite or no Loctite doesn't make a difference as long as the port in the block is clean.
@cardoc any idea if either of these would work in that block once i remove the old press in vent tube?
Green Product Automotive tire Font Liquid

Automotive tire Font Line Recipe Gas

·
Premium Member
01 VDC, 05 R Sedan, 06 BAJA EJ257
16,648 Posts
I don't recall what size the hole in the block is. As long as it presses ínto the block snug it should work, you'll just have to finagle a method for attaching the second hose.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts