Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am driving a 2013 2.5 Forester now and my wife drives a 2012 2.5 Outback with EJ25 engine . From day one, I found that when accelerating the OB engine noise sounds much louder than Forester.

But 13 Forester and 13 outback has the same engine FB25. I test drove 13 2.5 Outback, I did not notice any significant improvement.

·
Registered
2015 Outback 2.5i CVT Limited
31 Posts
I am driving a 2013 2.5 Forester now and my wife drives a 2012 2.5 Outback with EJ25 engine . From day one, I found that when accelerating the OB engine noise sounds much louder than Forester.

But 13 Forester and 13 outback has the same engine FB25. I test drove 13 2.5 Outback, I did not notice any significant improvement.
Maybe you're hearing the transmission. The 13 Forester has the 4EAT and the OB's have the CVT. Just a thought.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
2012 2.5i Premium CVT
921 Posts
It sounds to me that your hearing the engine as a result of the transmission. While yes, you can hear the CVT whirring faintly if you listen closely, the engine can make far more noise. The CVT likes to put the engine in the right spot in the power band, so the engine revs high and sort of stays there during acceleration. The 2013 Forester has a more conventional setup that most people are used to hearing/feeling. The Outback should be a quieter car overall but I think people's tendencies are to give it a little more throttle than necessary because of the unusual transmission feeling.

Read some articles online about "should I buy a CVT" or something along those lines and there will be much better explanations than mine.

·
Registered
2,819 Posts
My OB is noisy until it warms up.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It sounds to me that your hearing the engine as a result of the transmission. While yes, you can hear the CVT whirring faintly if you listen closely, the engine can make far more noise. The CVT likes to put the engine in the right spot in the power band, so the engine revs high and sort of stays there during acceleration. The 2013 Forester has a more conventional setup that most people are used to hearing/feeling. The Outback should be a quieter car overall but I think people's tendencies are to give it a little more throttle than necessary because of the unusual transmission feeling.

Read some articles online about "should I buy a CVT" or something along those lines and there will be much better explanations than mine.
Thanks, your explanation sounds reasonable. Maybe due to the CVT sluggish acceleration from static, I push the gas pedal harder.

Overall, to me, the driving experience on a Forester is better than OB.

·
Registered
2010 outback. base 2.5
1,970 Posts
Overall the FB engines are noisier IMO due to the chain vs belt setup. If my windows are down I can her the whirring of the CVT on my 10, especially if I'm driving where the noise can echo against a wall etc...

You want hear noise drive the 2.0 in the Impreza. That engine is crap as far as refinement goes. It emits this whining groan that becomes irritating right away and couple that with only 148 hp and it is a dog in my opinion. Same with the XV. They need to implement a slient chain as Honda has down on there new 2.4 engine. The new 2.5 in the Forester/OB is a good engine. The 10-12 EJ engine was also a excellent choice due to it's endless refinement by Subaru at the end of it's engineering life

·
Registered
2011 Tacoma TRD Sport Double Cab Long Box
2,893 Posts
Overall the FB engines are noisier IMO due to the chain vs belt setup. If my windows are down I can her the whirring of the CVT on my 10, especially if I'm driving where the noise can echo against a wall etc...

You want hear noise drive the 2.0 in the Impreza. That engine is crap as far as refinement goes. It emits this whining groan that becomes irritating right away and couple that with only 148 hp and it is a dog in my opinion. Same with the XV. They need to implement a slient chain as Honda has down on there new 2.4 engine. The new 2.5 in the Forester/OB is a good engine. The 10-12 EJ engine was also a excellent choice due to it's endless refinement by Subaru at the end of it's engineering life
I personally don't think chain VS belt makes much difference as far as noise goes, unless something is wrong with the chain/tensioners.

My H6 has a chain and is so quiet I sometimes can't tell it's running in the cabin without looking at the tachometer.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts