Subaru Outback Forums banner

41 - 60 of 147 Posts

·
Registered
'17 Outback 2.5i Premium
169 Posts
The key is the valves that are not closing and appear to be off center - no way they would seal.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
26,571 Posts
So I didn't do any of that.

I went to a friend who I borrow cameras off of for Youtube and asked if he had a bore scope.

We call it a butt hole camera.
Mrs. Brucey can inspect to see if you have a bug up there,...and extract it with a birds foot.
Maybe its making you crazy like the ear slugs 🐛 in the Wrath of Khan.

·
Brucey
'17 3.6
11,915 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Mrs. Brucey can inspect to see if you have a bug up there,...and extract it with a birds foot. Maybe its making you crazy like the ear slugs 🐛 in the Wrath of Khan.
After much searching I haven't been able to find Lemmiwinks.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
26,571 Posts
After much searching I haven't been able to find Lemmiwinks.
that deserves a link from South Park.

·
Premium Member
01 VDC, 05 R Sedan, 06 BAJA EJ257
15,149 Posts
It may be that when you remove the heads you find enough carbon that the valves can't seat. Was the engine running rough prior to the belt fail?

I've had carbon/sludge hold valves open after someone ran a cleaner through the intake and all the loosed sludge in the intake stuck at the seat. I've had over adjusted valves that held the valve open just enough to prevent compression, mostly after someone "rebuilt" the engine.

I can't see evidence of valve to piston impact either, so that leaves something really odd, or missed, for all cylinders to be zero compression.

·
Registered
Outback 2011 3.6R Premium
1,950 Posts
I'm going for the crank pulley being out of position or some other cause of the timing being off. I understand that this engine is non-interference so bent valves in every cylinder is extremely unlikely.
Definitely an interference engine has many members have found out the hard way!

Seagrass

·
Registered
2018 Subaru Outback 2.5i Premium
114 Posts
Sadly no. I was mostly joking about H6 it's a nightmare but it can be done.

Just about anything can be done! But what counts is the degree of difficulty to get it done . . . 🙄

·
Registered
2018 3.6R Limited with #2 package in Crystal White Pearl
28 Posts
Teslong sell flexible borescopes on Amazon for $50-75 depending on features - they require a PC/tablet/phone for a display (they also sell a dedicated display separately). Either Wi-Fi or USB connectivity. That's a deal that can't be beat.
And they come in real handy for many applications where you can't get your head into-or don't want it burnt.

·
Registered
2005 Outback XT Limited (MT) / 2012 Outback 2.5i Premium / 2017 Subaru 3.6R Limited
74 Posts
@Brucey
I've been through some of this. I have some of my own images from a borescope/endoscope that look similar. I had zero compression on cylinder #4, and another that was a little low. I rotated the scope and saw a shiny spot that looked like a crack, but was really where the exhaust valve hit the piston. Yes, an engine with one bad cylinder will run, but not well. I disassembled the engine and found that the exhaust valves were stuck open (bent), but were also coked up with burnt oil like the cylinder. So the exhaust valves and cylinder had seen a lot of oil and eventually stopped moving, which caused the piston to strike them. The timing on my engine was fine, so a different scenario really. But it does look like the spark plugs needed to be replaced in your engine or the PCV system was drawing a lot of liquid oil into the engine as happened in my case. If the head gasket had gone, the pistons get nice and clean from the steam (depending on the gasket failure mode). In the photo below, the strike point is very reflective, and the clean piston portion is from the fuel mixture washing the piston off as the exhaust valve was always open.

For future piston explorers, here is what the piston looked like with the head off:

·
Brucey
'17 3.6
11,915 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
@Brucey
I've been through some of this. I have some of my own images from a borescope/endoscope that look similar. I had zero compression on cylinder #4, and another that was a little low. I rotated the scope and saw a shiny spot that looked like a crack, but was really where the exhaust valve hit the piston. Yes, an engine with one bad cylinder will run, but not well. I disassembled the engine and found that the exhaust valves were stuck open (bent), but were also coked up with burnt oil like the cylinder. So the exhaust valves and cylinder had seen a lot of oil and eventually stopped moving, which caused the piston to strike them. The timing on my engine was fine, so a different scenario really. But it does look like the spark plugs needed to be replaced in your engine or the PCV system was drawing a lot of liquid oil into the engine as happened in my case. If the head gasket had gone, the pistons get nice and clean from the steam (depending on the gasket failure mode). In the photo below, the strike point is very reflective, and the clean piston portion is from the fuel mixture washing the piston off as the exhaust valve was always open. View attachment 500904
Well we'll find out tomorrow. I'm going to finally buy an engine stand and take the heads off tomorrow and go from there.

It's already out of the car.

20210102_161845_1.gif

·
Premium Member
01 VDC, 05 R Sedan, 06 BAJA EJ257
15,149 Posts
Purple Power straight up does great work at cleaning all that crap off the aluminum. After you get it installed and warmed up, spray it down, let it sit 5 minutes and rinse.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
26,571 Posts
Well we'll find out tomorrow. I'm going to finally buy an engine stand and take the heads off tomorrow and go from there.

It's already out of the car.

Horbor Freight ? $60.

northern tool has them also for $60.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Premier 2.5i
678 Posts
The key is the valves that are not closing and appear to be off center - no way they would seal.
You say that because of the pictures? I thought that was the piston top with 2 valve - formed dimples in it. Could be a valve showing there I suppose, but hard to tell because there's nothing to scale it by . I thought it was the piston top.

·
Registered
2005 outback 2.5i 5 spd
4 Posts
Title.

I was told the vehicle had 'snapped a timing belt' but when I got into it the belt was intact but had walked off of the upper left idler and burst through the cover.

Bent all 16 valves when lost timing belt on 05 outback with manual. Wife coasted to stop after broke with clutch engaged turning over engine did a nice job to them all.

Tensioner was also not correctly functioning. After retiming it and installing a new tensioner I did a compression check.

I figured when I bought it I needed new valves or just a redone head and call it a day.

But I showed 0 psi on all 4 cylinders.

Thinking my old compression gauge had broke (o ring crumbled) I bought a new one.

Same thing.

I was told that this isn't likely but I don't see how it isn't knowing the circumstances.

So I guess I'm just looking for a second opinion other than my own here?

·
Registered
2000 & 2002 Outback Wagon EJ251/Auto + 2004 Outback LL Bean EZ30/Auto + 1996 Legacy Outback Wagon EJ22/5sp + 2008 Outback Wagon EJ253/Auto + 2004 Legacy Sedan 35th Anniv. EJ251/Auto (not OB) + 2005 O
162 Posts
I'm betting nearly all the valves are bent (or at least several per cylinder). I buy up cheap used Subarus with this issue regularly. They don't always bend all the valves, but sometimes they do. I've repaired them using used heads from a u-pull-it yard, and I've used new valves. Depending on how many valves were bent. Since you already got the timing gear, and the engine is out, it is a great time to reseal it and make it good to go for another 75-100k miles.. You are well on your way to making it happen, and it is a really good looking setup.

·
Brucey
'17 3.6
11,915 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
I'm betting nearly all the valves are bent (or at least several per cylinder). I buy up cheap used Subarus with this issue regularly. They don't always bend all the valves, but sometimes they do. I've repaired them using used heads from a u-pull-it yard, and I've used new valves. Depending on how many valves were bent. Since you already got the timing gear, and the engine is out, it is a great time to reseal it and make it good to go for another 75-100k miles.. You are well on your way to making it happen, and it is a really good looking setup.
I was planning on deciding whether to rebuild or salvage. I will probably have the heads decked as a precaution.

A friend just did the head gasket on an EJ251 and didn't deck the heads. Two months later he has phantom coolant loss. Sure enough the heads are warped.

I don't think this one was overheating. Just the timing belt issue. But I still think it would be worth doing to prevent that chance.

41 - 60 of 147 Posts