Subaru Outback Forums banner

61 - 80 of 147 Posts

·
Registered
2000 & 2002 Outback Wagon EJ251/Auto + 2004 Outback LL Bean EZ30/Auto + 1996 Legacy Outback Wagon EJ22/5sp + 2008 Outback Wagon EJ253/Auto + 2004 Legacy Sedan 35th Anniv. EJ251/Auto (not OB) + 2005 O
162 Posts
I was planning on deciding whether to rebuild or salvage. I will probably have the heads decked as a precaution.
At least have then checked to make sure they are still flat. Go ahead and do the valve seals, lap the valves, and use the EJ255 multi-layer head gaskets rather than the single-layer one that Subaru still sells as a replacement. I replace the o-ring in the oil pickup tube, and the one behind the oil pump also. I don't usually have the machine shop pressure test the heads unless the engine was overheated (or I have no history of a donor engine). Stay warm!

Reactions: Brucey

·
Registered
2006 OutBean, 2005 LGTW
1,561 Posts
Whew!

Could you please get some good shots of those FelPro gaskets before you toss em? I'd love to know how they held up.

·
Brucey
'17 3.6
11,915 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
Seems like contact on all of them.

Also one of the threads for the valve cover gasket broke and someone previously replaced it with a bolt and nut.

What's funny is that's the valve cover gasket that wasn't leaking.

Will take them to the shop tomorrow and see what their opinion is whether rebuild or start fresh.

·
Registered
Outback 2011 3.6R Premium
1,950 Posts
Good to know it is bent valves on all four cylinders and not likely to be something more sinister like cracked pistons or worse.

Hopefully you can get it all back together and running nicely without too many out of pocket expenses.

Seagrass

·
Registered
2010 2.5 CVT Limited
1,615 Posts
I've always wondered why there are not deeper intake valve relief cuts in the pistons of interference engines. Seems like it could save a lot of bent valves. Maybe it negatively affects the combustion swirl too much.
Quick answer is probably cost.

Thanks for sharing your findings and updates.

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
7,926 Posts
I've always wondered why there are not deeper intake valve relief cuts in the pistons of interference engines.
It would be difficult to achieve high compression and non-interference because the relief cuts would decrease compression.

·
Registered
2010 2.5 CVT Limited
1,615 Posts
It would be difficult to achieve high compression and non-interference because the relief cuts would decrease compression.
Ever seen pop-up pistons? It's just a matter of volume. A piston top doesn't have to be primarily flat. There are other areas of the combustion chamber that have available space.
Again, cost.

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
7,926 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Outback XT Limited (MT) / 2012 Outback 2.5i Premium / 2017 Subaru 3.6R Limited
74 Posts
I was planning on deciding whether to rebuild or salvage. I will probably have the heads decked as a precaution.

A friend just did the head gasket on an EJ251 and didn't deck the heads. Two months later he has phantom coolant loss. Sure enough the heads are warped.

I don't think this one was overheating. Just the timing belt issue. But I still think it would be worth doing to prevent that chance.
So, my 2005 OBXT is apart and I bought a machinist straight edge and the book spec says .0014 accross the head surface. I checked X and + and could not insert a .0015 feeler anywhere. I also checked the block. My temptation is to put the new gasket on and put it back together. Is the thinking that the book spec is wrong? Maybe a specific surface finish is required?

My gasket leak below: (Combustion to Coolant, No External Leaks)

·
Registered
2010 Outback 3.6R 2014 Legacy 2.5i 2003 Legacy L special edition (retired to backup)
2,242 Posts
stay far far away from the felpro ones. Do it right and use the updated multi layer steel gaskets

·
Brucey
'17 3.6
11,915 Posts
Discussion Starter #75
stay far far away from the felpro ones. Do it right and use the updated multi layer steel gaskets
I thought the fel pros were in the "not the best"and not "bad" ?

20210104_084125.jpg

20210104_084117.jpg

20210104_084046.jpg

Theese ones seem fine to me. This was done 50k ago.

The oil on the first one is from it dropping into the oil pan underneath the stand.

Which reminds me:

Someone really should invent one that holds an oil pan because even after draining the pan there was still plenty of oil in the heads and block. Especially once I spun the engine.

·
Registered
2010 2.5 CVT Limited
1,615 Posts
Someone really should invent one that holds an oil pan because even after draining the pan there was still plenty of oil in the heads and block. Especially once I spun the engine.
I hear you.
I've seen some stands that have what looks like a cookie sheet attached to the bottom of the stand. That would catch some of the residual drainage.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
26,570 Posts
steel drain pan (maybe even a flat transmission pan from something big), speaker magnet between the stand and the pan.

I would think lots of them get some plate steel on them for storage and being a one tough dolly.

·
Registered
2006 OutBean, 2005 LGTW
1,561 Posts
I've been using a $10 cement mixing bucket from homedepot for a while. My engine stand has two legs much like the engine hoist does and this cement bucket seems to work okay. It's not great. Cheap though.

Reactions: Brucey
61 - 80 of 147 Posts