Subaru Outback Forums banner

81 - 100 of 146 Posts

·
Brucey
'17 3.6
11,700 Posts
Discussion Starter #81
I've been using a $10 cement mixing bucket from homedepot for a while. My engine stand has two legs much like the engine hoist does and this cement bucket seems to work okay. It's not great. Cheap though.
I forgot to tag you but added some more pictures of the fel pro head gaskets.

·
Registered
2006 OutBean, 2005 LGTW
1,560 Posts
I forgot to tag you but added some more pictures of the fel pro head gaskets.
No worries and thank you.

Weird how that coating sluffs off like that.

·
Brucey
'17 3.6
11,700 Posts
Discussion Starter #83
Shop recommended a rebuilt set of heads other than these mostly because of the broken valve cover mount.

Minor thing but they'll charge the same price of I turn these ones in as a core.

Gonna order all the seals. Rear main, front main, valve cover, spark plug, as well as new OEM thermostat and radiator cap. The one on there is one I haven't seen before. I just don't like it.

Plugs, pcv, plug wires. Intake exhaust and throttle body gaskets.

Trying to think of the is anything else I'm missing here.

They said it would be a few days turn around because they've been off for a week.

Should give me enough time to buy all the seals and little stuff I need as well as cleaning off the block.

·
Registered
2010 2.5 CVT Limited
1,532 Posts
I had a shop teacher that taught to always replace the transmission input shaft seal whenever the opportunity presented itself.
He even had me change a seal that was just a few days old when I pulled a transmission that was recently reinstalled. :unsure:

·
Brucey
'17 3.6
11,700 Posts
Discussion Starter #87
I had a shop teacher that taught to always replace the transmission input shaft seal whenever the opportunity presented itself.
He even had me change a seal that was just a few days old when I pulled a transmission that was recently reinstalled. :unsure:
Looking back on it I wish I would have taken shop class.

I took theater.

·
Registered
2006 OutBean, 2005 LGTW
1,560 Posts
Oil cooler gasket! Those things love to leak.
How dare you bring a foresters problems into an outback forum lol

No, actually, I'm curious... what are you working on? I've never seen an outback with an oil cooler unless it was a H6.

Reactions: Brucey

·
Registered
'17 Outback 2.5i Premium
163 Posts
The 5th-gen 2.5i has an oil cooler, and I think the 6th-gen does as well; it's probably the main reason the Outback is rated for towing and the Legacy is not (no cooler). It's also looped into the radiator to warm the transmission in the cold.

·
Registered
2006 OutBean, 2005 LGTW
1,560 Posts
The 5th-gen 2.5i has an oil cooler, and I think the 6th-gen does as well; it's probably the main reason the Outback is rated for towing and the Legacy is not (no cooler). It's also looped into the radiator to warm the transmission in the cold.
Are there timing belts on 5th and 6th gen 2.5's?

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
26,486 Posts
I built sets and props!

The final form of Audrey 2 was pretty involved since it still had to move and speak. Took 3 people to operate it.
How dare you bring a foresters problems into an outback forum lol

No, actually, I'm curious... what are you working on? I've never seen an outback with an oil cooler unless it was a H6.
I seen oil coolers on EJ253 foresters, as early as a 2005.

Reactions: scoopburt

·
Registered
2006 OutBean, 2005 LGTW
1,560 Posts
It's an 06 Forester.
Figured
They went away in Gen 4 during the refresh.

So the 2013/2014 have the FB25 and the TR580 transmission while the 2010-2012 has the EJ253 and the TR690.
Rhetorical question. The thread starts with the potential of a snapped timing belt so...

Reactions: Brucey

·
Registered
2010 2.5 CVT Limited
1,532 Posts
Doh!
The valve relief doesn't have to be any bigger, just relocated a few degrees and would provide adequate clearance. 😖

81 - 100 of 146 Posts