Subaru Outback Forums banner

121 - 140 of 147 Posts

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
26,557 Posts
You know maybe I should have. But now it would require a new water pump gasket. Maybe next time.
now,... that I have watched your video, I have a carpet machine, its a hoover with a gallon tank for the hot tap water, and cleaner. used it on carpets and used cars.

what works better than that:
simple green, in various dilution strengths.
and for pet stains. = "Woolite Pet stain remover +oxy"

saturate, scrub with a small fist sized brush, and vac up with a shop vac. ( a 4hp, ~6 gallon).

my dog pukes often.
food / water/ bile yellow goop. (so I kind of just leave the 5 gallon shop vac in the living room behind a chair. = no head on the hose and it has enough force to pick the Berber off the underpayment.

the hoover does not suck that hard, so it kind of leaves things damp. and you need a dehumidifier to get more.
(one can run one of those inside a car, just need to put the electric cord in through a window and tape it shut.)

Reactions: Brucey

·
On the Super Mod Squad
26,557 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
I appreciate your continual posting. I'm getting ready to dig into my 2005 OBX which I did the head gasket on 6000 miles ago and appears to have spun a bearing.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Brucey
'17 3.6
11,904 Posts
Discussion Starter #127
Got the engine together.

Adjusted the valves. Only two needed adjusted.

Valve covers are on. New six star seals.

New aisin water pump, oem thermostat, seals.

Got it off the stand to do the rear main seal.

Looks like someone has been in here before and got frustrated.

20210115_120712.jpg

·
Registered
2006 OutBean, 2005 LGTW
1,561 Posts
Ultrablack around the outside of the seal?

·
Registered
240 Posts
@aesthetic.rake I believe he is referring to the dings in the mating surface where it looks like someone had a prying tool and was digging trying to get the seal out.

·
Brucey
'17 3.6
11,904 Posts
Discussion Starter #130
The self tapping screw and claw hammer worked great getting the seal out.

I've used it before with good success but when I did the EZ30D for the Baja last year it didn't work at all.

Need to get the motor in now but kind of lost motivation since it's in the 20's right now and the garage doesn't have heat.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I agree cold. Its 30 degrees with snow on the ground. However for x-mas I bought a Mr. Buddy and the extra hose for 20# propane. Takes a long time to heat the garage but pushed enough heat out to keep me just warm enough to keep working. Sit it under the motor for 30 minutes warms the motor up also

·
Brucey
'17 3.6
11,904 Posts
Discussion Starter #132
I agree cold. Its 30 degrees with snow on the ground. However for x-mas I bought a Mr. Buddy and the extra hose for 20# propane. Takes a long time to heat the garage but pushed enough heat out to keep me just warm enough to keep working. Sit it under the motor for 30 minutes warms the motor up also

I have something similar. It's just a propane "flower" that sits directly on the tank. Probably good for 15k BTU.

But the garage is just a detached block building, no insulation, and no door. The garage door doesn't seal well at all.

·
Registered
'03 Outback H6-3.0 Black Granite Pearl, base model with cold weather package and cloth seats.
1,069 Posts
consider adding a ceiling fan, or even a box fan, pointed up. heat rises, and until you fill the upper part of the room with warm air, you'll only feel the the cold air at ground level. You will be surprised how much difference it makes in both temperature and how fast it warms up.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
26,557 Posts
consider adding a ceiling fan, or even a box fan, pointed up. heat rises, and until you fill the upper part of the room with warm air, you'll only feel the the cold air at ground level. You will be surprised how much difference it makes in both temperature and how fast it warms up.
best pro-garages I have ever been in had radiant floor set on something 60-65F, as it makes it nice for working on a creeper or a chair close to the floor.

... but plenty just have house trailer type air furnaces running on kerosene or fuel oil, just because its fast the start and stop when you want some fast dry heat.

.... @Brucey needs a go-fund me. for some solar cells for electric heat, and some insulation. ...I mean Bender probably says,
"Dad I am going in the house with Mom,...its not fun out here freezing my ass, with my chew toy in the car your working on"

Reactions: Brucey

·
Brucey
'17 3.6
11,904 Posts
Discussion Starter #135
I have an electric trailer furnace in the rafters that someone gave me.

But since I don't have 220 in the garage either I don't have it hooked up. Guess that's next!

Anyways:

Got motivated to work some today. Got the engine in and gave it a start.

Think it has compression now! (and I need to loosen that Alt belt)

·
On the Super Mod Squad
26,557 Posts
I have an electric trailer furnace in the rafters that someone gave me.

But since I don't have 220 in the garage either I don't have it hooked up. Guess that's next!
lots of good things to think about: welders, stand by generators, solar panels, batteries.

maybe a youtube show about out-fiting on a low budget : @Brucey and bender's garage,....like Jay Leno, ...without the money.

·
Brucey
'17 3.6
11,904 Posts
Discussion Starter #137
Started it again today to start burping it and one of the radiator hoses is bad. Has a tiny pin hole leak near the center.

At least I should be able to reuse the coolant.

·
Brucey
'17 3.6
11,904 Posts
Discussion Starter #138
New hoses came in and install successfully.

Runs good. Coolant is burped. No check engine lights or weird noises.

I need to figure out what this hose is about and give it a shake down cruise.

Other than that she's ready to go!

20210123_164147.jpg

20210123_164155.jpg

·
Registered
18,545 Posts
I need to figure out what this hose is about and give it a shake down cruise.
What year is this? (Unless I missed it, I haven't seen any info on the car, only the ej253 identification.)

That hose, that connects to the white piece at the top end that, in turn, is attached to the airbox, is part of the PVC system. But I don't recognize the lower area of the hose. Looks as if it's modified with a plastic T and bolt to block an open end. In my 07, and others I've seen, the lower end of the hose goes to a fitting that's press-fit into the top of the block (crankcase) down below the coil. The PCV valve is also mounted on the fitting which opens into the crankcase. The PCV valve connects to the slightly narrower hose that's right next to the #2 spark plug wire, and goes to the black metal PVC tubing on top of the intake manifold.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
26,557 Posts
What year is this? (Unless I missed it, I haven't seen any info on the car, only the ej253 identification.)
2006 US spec Forester. (added that to thread title just now)

121 - 140 of 147 Posts