Subaru Outback Forums banner

141 - 147 of 147 Posts

·
Brucey
'17 3.6
11,915 Posts
Discussion Starter #141
What year is this? (Unless I missed it, I haven't seen any info on the car, only the ej253 identification.)

That hose, that connects to the white piece at the top end that, in turn, is attached to the airbox, is part of the PVC system. But I don't recognize the lower area of the hose. Looks as if it's modified with a plastic T and bolt to block an open end. In my 07, and others I've seen, the lower end of the hose goes to a fitting that's press-fit into the top of the block (crankcase) down below the coil. The PCV valve is also mounted on the fitting which opens into the crankcase. The PCV valve connects to the slightly narrower hose that's right next to the #2 spark plug wire, and goes to the black metal PVC tubing on top of the intake manifold.
My thoughts are it's part of a diy catch can that's been removed maybe?

The bolt in the hose made me laugh. That T isn't factory but also doesn't appear to go anywhere. I caught it when I removed the manifold but was less concerned about it when I had zero compression. I haven't pressure tested it yet but it's running happy now.

I checked a couple pictures and it appears that I'm missing the piece that the pcv bolts to that is attached to the block. I'll double check in the morning that I didn't miss anything.

·
Registered
18,560 Posts
@Brucey

First post in this thread has photos.

Is the white T fitting at the lower end of the hose just hanging there, or is it connected to something?

The second photo in the linked thread shows the fitting on the engine block. Straight up (hex with AAG on it) is the PCV valve. The pipe coming off the side and turning up is connected to the rubber hose that should go to the white piece at the upper end.

·
Brucey
'17 3.6
11,915 Posts
Discussion Starter #143
@Brucey

First post in this thread has photos.

Is the white T fitting at the lower end of the hose just hanging there, or is it connected to something?

The second photo in the linked thread shows the fitting on the engine block. Straight up (hex with AAG on it) is the PCV valve. The pipe coming off the side and turning up is connected to the rubber hose that should go to the white piece at the upper end.
I just got in touch with the previous owner and was gonna post an update:

According to him that was the "dealerships fix for the engine having a high idle".

Yes dealership.

Anyways I'm going to get it converted back to OEM because that's sketchy.

·
Brucey
'17 3.6
11,915 Posts
Discussion Starter #144
And yeah the lower hose is just hanging there not connected to anything. Which begs the question why the T was there?

141 - 147 of 147 Posts