Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
long story short i purchased an 05' outback 2.5 xt and suffered a complete engine failure. quoted 10400 for complete replacement and needless to say i don't have the money to pay for all that so i was wondering what options i had for compatible engines.

any help greatly appreciated!

·
I simply cannot abide useless people.
2006 2.5i and 2002 3.0 wagons.
12,304 Posts
Where on earth do you live and who gave you that quote?!

That's almost triple what that job should run.

·
Registered
Lawn ornament XT
14,368 Posts
Where on earth do you live and who gave you that quote?!

That's almost triple what that job should run.
I dunno... It sounds high but triple? These turbo engines aren't cheap, and "complete" doesn't sound good at all.

I think the OP is on the right track swapping in a used engine, and the possibility of downgrading to a NA 2.5 might be appealing if the alternative was walking.

·
Registered
2007 Outback 2.5i
51 Posts
I think that's pretty high, at least double what it should cost.

I considered an engine swap when my OB had dropped valve guides. I was quoted about $3,000 for labor + engine which can be found for about $1,000

if you're in new england i've heard good things about these guys:
East Coast Swappers - Services
note these are performance guys, thus their price is likely higher then what a local mechanic should charge

and someone supplied that engines can be had inexpensively here:
JDM Engine Depot
(from a thread i started when i had engine trouble, no actual dealings with them)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm currently in southern california and i was quoted this from an official subaru dealership. Everything needs to be replaced including turbo, camshafts, short block, head cylinders. So i've been looking around for some ej257s and cheapest i've found was here.

Graveyard Motorsports Spec Rebuild Crate Engine – EJ257 DOHC

I guess I am a little weary of buying a JDM because i have heard even though they have low mileage they have a lot of wear and tear from all the stop and go! I'm certainly open to all engine options that will fit with as little modifications as possible. Thanks guys!

·
Registered
2007 Outback 2.5i
51 Posts
3.5k ........:flush:

it'd be cheaper to buy from the link i posted and have it shipped to you.

i'm sure you can find one in socal in good condition for less then 3.5k.

flabbergasted.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts