Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 04 OBW has an EJ259. There's a little weepage on the underside of the heads, but nothing to be overly concerned about. Any oil loss is undetectable and the coolant looks/smells good. I'm just doing a little research to keep myself informed.

For other SOHC EJ25s, the 11044AA610 head gaskets seem to be the best bet, but I haven't seen them mentioned with the EJ259...are they compatible with my engine?

·
Registered
399 Posts
The 610 gasket is for 1996-1998 (and 99 OBW Leg) EJ25's - DOHC's. It is not for SOHC EJ25's.

00+ EJ25's I'd use the EJ25 turbo headgaskets.
+1.

Avoid the single layer metal HGs with the black coating, get 04 STi MLS HGs - they are the same price as the leak-prone HGs.

Subaru used MLS HGs on ej222's stock & these engines never had HG problems (even when you've run DIY boost for 8+years / 60k+ miles like I have.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh, whoops, looks like I should have proof-read my post to make sure I pasted the right part number in. The gaskets I had in mind were the 11044AA642 ones.

I apologize in advance if I seem rather dense on the issue.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Heh, I shouldn't have jinxed it. Found two drops of oil in the driveway today that weren't there previously.

Looks like i'll be doing this sooner than I thought.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
About this Discussion
6 Replies
3 Participants
radio head
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing