Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1999 Subaru Legacy Outback
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up 4 '98-99 DOHC engines to play with (yes, I am weird - thanks for asking). One only had 89K on it when owner totaled it. My plan is to put new HGs, timing belt, idlers, etc. on that one and stick it in my '99 OBW.

I was trying to decide what to do with the other 3, so I looked on eBay to see how they sell there when rebuilt. I find tons of SOHC engines, short blocks, etc. - but hardly a DOHC in sight.

I seem to recall a few years ago they were bringing a pretty penny. Did the demand dry up because the cars are just too old? Or might they still be good sellers if rebuilt correctly?

Thanks,
Wally

·
Registered
288 Posts
It's all a matter of cost. A good rebuild is not cheap.
Easier and cheaper to replace the DOHC with 2.2 for most apps.
Most people can live with the diff in HP.
Of course there are exceptions, but better done on a demand basis, unless you can sit with your costs til someone is willing to pay.

O.

·
Registered
OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
12,385 Posts
Yes, they have lost value fairly quickly in the past few years.

Demand decreases normally due to rust and age and I think it's worse for an engine with headgasket and lower end issues.
There is still demand, but it's not like every week like it was years ago. It's like every month...so to speak.

And they're aging - "1990's" and 15 years sounds quite old now.

Around here (and definitely some areas of Ohio if not all) rust is taking it's toll and that lessens their appeal...even for the ones that are in good condition.

Out west where Subaru's are popular and retain their value/last longer due to lack of rust issues, that motor is probably worth a bit more. But not worth shipping for most people.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts