Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
95 Legacy EJ22 5MT, 98 Legacy EJ22 5MT, 99 Legacy Outback EJ25 4EAT "Agent 99", 01 Forester EJ25 4EAT
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
EJ25S head gasket re-use?

I'm juggling pieces of two motors - one with a rod through the block, the other with a broken valve - to make one. The good block was recently rebuilt by PO using Fel-Pro Permatorque MLS head gaskets, part # 26415PT. As I swap over a head from the busted block, it'd be great if I could re-use this Fel-Pro gasket. What say you all?

WHOOPS! That should have read EJ25S ! (Though I don't think it actually makes any difference - same short block, so same gasket.)

Reactions: txmnjim

·
Registered
1999 Legacy Outback, 2008 Outback
25 Posts
being that i just paid about $400 to my mechanic for a gasket and bolt kit, i'd think if they look good go for it!

·
Registered
6,062 Posts
They are like $60 a pair from Summit Racing. I would replace them. Once a head gasket has been torqued down it is hard to find a good reason to reuse it.

Reactions: Tishers and txmnjim

·
Registered
2008 OB Limited 2.5i, Portland OR USA
6,306 Posts
I agree with @z28dug. This is a risk / reward tradeoff, and we know both risk and reward - rebuilding the engine a second (third?) time, versus $60.

I can't think of a single other part that I'd be less inclined to re-use than a head gasket. OK, one - oil filter.

·
Registered
95 Legacy EJ22 5MT, 98 Legacy EJ22 5MT, 99 Legacy Outback EJ25 4EAT "Agent 99", 01 Forester EJ25 4EAT
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The Fel-Pro techs strongly discouraged its re-use as well (and yes, I get that they're in the business of selling gaskets, but in my experience applications support guys tend to be straight-shooters). Amazon's price for this gasket is half what NAPA wants here in town, so I've got one on order. My compromise is re-using the head bolts from the busted-block engine, which - as far as I can tell - hasn't been touched since the factory.

Reactions: txmnjim

·
Registered
'03 outback limited, '01 Outback Limited, '01 Legacy L wagon, '96 Legacy Brighton wagon
2,246 Posts
Involatile rule about head gaskets - NEVER reuse them! Especially if you don't want to have to replace them again shortly in the future.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Inviolate?

·
Registered
OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
12,391 Posts
yes, replace.
My compromise is re-using the head bolts from the busted-block engine,
there's no reason to replace the headbolts so there's no worries there. Subaru doesn't say to replace them, there's no need, and most dealers/Subaru shops are not replacing them.

they can be annoying to clean, so that's the one benefit of replacing them, otherwise it's benign.

·
Registered
1999 Legacy Outback, 2008 Outback
25 Posts
yes, replace.
there's no reason to replace the headbolts so there's no worries there. Subaru doesn't say to replace them, there's no need, and most dealers/Subaru shops are not replacing them.

they can be annoying to clean, so that's the one benefit of replacing them, otherwise it's benign.
my mechanic who worked for years at a Subaru dealership and has had his own shop for 15 years
says he has never had a HG job come back because he 1) used turbo gaskets even on non-turbo 2) uses
new bolts and 3) resurfaces the heads.
here is something i found on "enginebuildermag.com";
"If you end up replacing the head gasket, don’t reuse the original head bolts because they are torque-to-yield (TTY) bolts. TTY head bolts stretch when tightened and should not be reused because they may break or fail to maintain torque." sounds logical to me. i just spent a small fortune getting the HG done on my 1999 OB and i am pretty confident (hopeful) that i will get another 100,000 miles out of her ;)
jim

1 - 10 of 10 Posts