Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had an idea whilst pondering the fate of my aging Legacy (2005 2.5i w/140k miles) and I came up with the idea of muffler deletes with resonating tips (Pacesetter?) and as a novice, I was wondering if this would be a viable option or would it sound cruddy and/or trigger a CEL. Thanks to our wonderful economy, I am on a budget, but I need to repair/upgrade the old girl so it stays running and I can live without a car payment for a year or two. Thanks!
MSM:8:

·
Registered
514 Posts
On our '05, I eliminated the resonator pipe, which is about under the transmission, just after the CAT Converters. I drove it about 15 miles with a straight pipe, before I installed the new Walker Resonator Pipe which goes back to the two muffler flanges.

As for back pressure, I don't know if that would be an issue. I would think, probably not. If it was, you could just put a little bit of reducer in the pipe line to restrict the flow a bit.

It sounds like your plan would work. It will be loud, but not overly-obnoxious. Now, a 455 CI V-8 with straight pipes would be overly-obnoxious!

·
Registered
514 Posts
If that were mine, it would be a nine-day wonder.

I would get tired of having to yell at my wife to carry on any kind of conversation.

I suppose, if you don't need to talk at all, then it might be fine. I cannot imagine it on a real long trip, with one or two other people screaming at each other for days on end!

·
Registered
842 Posts
Back when I was in college, I needed to replace the exhaust on my Civic. I like more power, but I hate loud cars. Talking to my muffler shop, we ended up putting in larger diameter pipe, and a high flow muffler, while leaving out the resonator. In the end, it was only slightly louder, which I could live with and there was a slight performance boost, our at least I thought there was a boost.

Check with your local laws. Removal of the muffler may not be legal.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
About this Discussion
4 Replies
4 Participants
Startiger
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing